FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Gecko's Exotica Mug Available Soon!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Gecko's Exotica Mug Available Soon!
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 08:09 am   Permalink

I suffered a similar fate at the hands of the tax man.
My $100 mug will only be used for the first drink of the evening when I am still sober enough not to damage it.

Great mug through, he had a double volume Mai Tai last night and loved it.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:25 am   Permalink

Kon-Hemsby, Tikifish, I feel your pain!

Mine's around $100 too. You can bet I'm using it as much as possible!

I bought a big $25 CAD strainer that actually fits my cocktail shaker to expedite my drink making.

I was thinking of bringing him to the Hukilau this September, but I'm a little worried I'll end up carting him home in pieces!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-20 11:27 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-20 11:25, Tikiwahine wrote:

I was thinking of bringing him to the Hukilau this September, but I'm a little worried I'll end up carting him home in pieces!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-20 11:27 ]

perhaps some crafty soul can carve kustom kases! like photographers use for their equipment or somesuch...

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-20 12:40 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 12:55 pm   Permalink

J$, Cool idea!

I've heard of packing foam that can be suctioned to any object to create a perfect shipping package. You could have different foam inserts for each of your travelling companions.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 1:09 pm   Permalink

J$, those cases would be good for my Shecky!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 2:44 pm   Permalink

J$ - those cases would come in handy for the impending Big California Earthquake! Are they shock grade A?

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:39 am   Permalink

Aloooohaz braddahz and sistahz,

Tanks plenny again to all that was involved in da creation of "Exotica" and all my ohana here dat picked it up......my overseas buyers who paid $100 total for da mug, I'm sorry for your tax laws but you got a great mug that will be something to share with your kids and explain to them who Martin Denny was when da masta passes away. A special mahaloz to you guys! I'm very proud that da mugs made it out there.

Martin approved this project so his finger prints are all over this mug. No other tiki artist like Mr. Denny is involved in an actuall tiki mug with his status. This mug will definatly be worth more than what you all paid for this weather it was $100 or $35. I'm very certain of this!

I'm busy on working on more goodies for da ohana here and collectors out side of TC but you guys here always get first dibs!

p.s Tikifish,
I'm still looking for one of those great looking Sheckys!

Mahalo Nui Loa

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:43 am   Permalink

oh ya, eh dem casses are bad ass! I have a foam machine I use here for shipping tikis and it molds into da shape of da tiki to protect it. It's pre-heated, then you smash da silver bag and da foam spreads trough out da inside of da bag. Don't know if that will work for a mug though?

good luck

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 03:00 am   Permalink

Gecko......we're all looking forward to your next creation. Keep us TC-er's posted.

Mahalo

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-22 12:07 am   Permalink

Gecko, does the foam you use dry stiff, or does it dry with some give to it?

The problem with some of the injection foam is that it dries extremely stiff. If there is no "spring" to the foam it will transfer almost all of any shock caused by dropping the package.

No problem for solid wood tikis, big problem for ceramic mugs.

I'll look and see if I can find the Craters Handbook for museum grade packing and shipping.

Theres a formula involving the weight and mass of an item, but it basically boils down to the foam should compress fifty percent AND return to its original form after the shock has been absorbed.

Soft foam good!

Sitff foam or StyroFoam BAAAAD!!!

And don't get me started on pelspan!!! ( styro foam peanuts and the like )

I'm enetertaining the idea of using my access to museum grade materials to box up some of my more precious mugs to protect them from the predicted 6.5 earthquake. With my luck, I'll pack them up and nothing will happen. I leave them on the shelf, California slides into the Pacific.

TikiGardener

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation