FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food I need a list for a fully stocked bar (Tiki and the Usual)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
I need a list for a fully stocked bar (Tiki and the Usual)
chase_317
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-09 11:10 pm   Permalink

I am in the planning stages of my own home bar. I would like to know what my fellow TC
ers think any self-respecting homebartender should keeped stocked?

There would be an emphasis on Tiki style drinks of course, but would need to be accomadating to those with the less-finer tastes.

So, what do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: chase_317 on 2004-04-09 23:13 ]

View Profile of chase_317 Send a personal message to chase_317      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-09 11:37 pm   Permalink

Fresh limes, Rock Candy Syrup, and as many types of Rum as you can find.

Bharbancourt, Demarara, Demarara 151, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Barbados, Dark...

My personal suggestion would be plenty o' Myers, Appelton estate, some Orange Curacao, Orgeat, Rock Candy Syrup, Passion Fruit Syrup, and a few fresh limes, lemons, and oranges.

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-10 12:03 am   Permalink

It's a pretty good start to just buy everything you see in the Grog Log and Intoxica. And then more rum.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-10 10:18 am   Permalink

Buying a good bartending guide is the best place to start. Most of the newer guides will have a list of basic starters and a list to flush out your collection.

One of my favorites is The Bartender's Guide by Peter Bohrmann because it gives good background info on many different types of liquor such as how they are made as well as what the flavor is like.

I also love guides that are fun to read and have great illustrations. I'd recommend Trader Vic's Bartenders Guide from 1947 and the newer Grog Log and Intoxica by Beachbum Berry.

Here's a list of basics:

Bourbon
Brandy
Campari
Cognac
Cointreau
Curacao (blue)
Creme de cacao
Creme de cassis
Creme de menthe
Gin
Rum, light and dark
Scotch
Sherry
Sparkling wine
Tequila
Vermouth (dry and sweet)
Vodka

and mixers:

Cream of coconut
Grenadine
Rose's Lime Juice
Sugar syrup
Fruit juices
Cola
Soda water
Tonic water

and garnishes:

Lemons
Limes
Maraschino cherries
Olives
Onions

You should be flat broke after your done. That's when you really know you have a well stocked bar.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-10 11:04 am   Permalink

I too will suggest a favorite bar guide...The Pocket Bartender's Guide by Michael Jackson. (Mentally insert you own joke here, but please post it elsewhere. Michael Jackson is the Brittish beer and spirits expert/writer.) According to amazon.com it's out of print, but used copies are out there (Starting at $1.48!). This book has a brief geography of booze, a list and description of barware, a sort of dictionary of spirits (with a red dot by those that should be in a well stocked bar), and a collection of mostly classic cocktails (and he has the green Mai-Tai recipe). Jackson is an informative, funny, and opinionated writer as you cna see in his Scorpion entry:

"One of the new generation of refreshing, long drinks that are perilously alcoholic. They all hint at Californian recklessness, yet several are, despite their youth, already universal 'old' standards. The Scorpion certainly is. Trouble is that they are so potent and fruity that it can be hard to tell them apart after the first one. A bit like Southern Californians, really."

There's a lot more history in this little book than you find in bigger drinks books. It's a great read from cover to cover or just dropping in at random.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 4:55 pm   Permalink

I second the list from Tiki-Kate. I recently finished my own home tiki bar. Stocking it is indeed a costly thing. The down side is that tiki drinks by their very nature use a lot of ingredients. My wife and I saved a little money by going to Mexico (we live close enough to drive) and picking up as much cuban & Jamaican rum as we could...oh and some good tequila too. The good news is, the cheapest things like the mixers and syrups are the ones that get used up quicly. We have had 2 tiki parties and are only now on our second Havana Club dark rum bottle. But our Trader Vic's passion fruit syrup & sweet & sour have been replaced twice. Good luck!! I highly recommend the "Chief Lapu Lapu" from the Grog Log...very tastey!!!!!

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 07:36 am   Permalink

If you don't want to go flat broke on your first trip to the liquor store, pick out a couple of drinks from the Grog Log that you'd like to make, and go out and buy those ingredients. Then pick another drink, add the ingredients you don't already have, and so on. Eventually, you'll wind up with a pretty well-stocked bar!

One suggestion for starting out is pick some drinks that share a lot of common ingredients. In other words, don't jump right into the drink that contains Creme de Cassis or Pimento Liqueur, or some other thing you will never use again; but something you will use a lot like Jamaican Rum or Orgeat. Be patient and most of all, enjoy yourself!

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 08:05 am   Permalink

regarding the rock candy syrup / sugar syrup, you will most likely need to make your own unless you have excellent resources.

click here for the lowdown on the suga down low

a lil vanilla extract makes it yummier. make it one time, and you will be a champ j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 11:47 am   Permalink

I have a lot of stuff here, and I am just looking and thinkng about how much I really use. So, considering I try various Grog Log drinks, I think these are what I have used:

Dark, light and gold rum
Vodka & Gin on occasion
Curacao
Triple Sec
Falernum
bitters
sugar syrup
honey syrup
orgeat
and then juices
I use Nellie's Key Lime juice
OJ
Apricot, Peach, Papaya, Mango nectar
Pineapple juice
Grapefruitjuice
Sweet and Sour
cream

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-13 1:46 pm   Permalink

http://www.velvetfalernum.com/

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 2:00 pm   Permalink

Don't forget your hardware- you're gonna need an accurate measuring glass; I like the ones from the liquor store that are basically a "Pint" glass with incremental ounce markings (AND handy drink recipes) silkscreened on the sides. Of course, a good shaker is a must, as well as the basic glassware (martini glasses, highballs, pilsners, etc.), and all this AND the booze WILL break the bank, and you STILL NEED at least a few examples of classic tiki drinkware, or what's the point? Rome wasn't built in a day my friend.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 2:56 pm   Permalink

You could also throw a BYOB party and ask people to all bring an unusual type of liquor, in exchange for all you can eat pupus and great ambience! Then you will get all sorts of odds and ends that you might not otherwise buy, but are fun to have.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-13 3:00 pm   Permalink

Swanky's got a great tiki drink list there. There's a few maybes I'd add to it, but one definite: brandy.

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 10:08 pm   Permalink

The previous posters have posted plenty, but forgot an important ingrediant, Passion fruit syrup. I like Trader Vic's.

Happy Mixing!

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 1:14 pm   Permalink

Yes! I can also vouch for Trader Vic's Passion Fruit syrup! I'm already on my second bottle of the stuff!

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation