FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mug information: New variation?
Mug information: New variation?
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-10 06:52 am   Permalink

I just picked this mug up on ebay, and wondered if anyone had info on it. It's a hoffman potttery Headhunter, like the ones used at the Kahiki. But the bottom is marked Hawaii Tai instead. Was the Hawaii Tai another restaurant in the Columbus area, or was the mug supposed to be marked Hawaii Kai and this is a mistake?

Mahalo!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 1:16 pm   Permalink

Yes, I have a mug exactly like that. I was starting to think maybe I owned the only one Hoffman ever made. Here are the markings on mine:

I've never known for sure what it says. However, I always thought it was "Hawaii Kai", but it could be "Hawaii Tai". I also have an official Hoffman Kahiki Moai. Comparing the two, I cannot see any differences other than the bottom markings.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the reply ModMana. We are probably the only two with these ultra-rare collectibles! It would be cool to know if there was a restaurant named Hawaii Tai that used these. Anyone know?

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ratzaroony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-01 7:39 pm   Permalink

Sorry to bring up this really old thread, but does anyone have any additional info on the Hawaii Tai? I just got one of these mugs as well.

Here's the picture of my mug.

[ This Message was edited by: Ratzaroony 2008-04-01 19:40 ]

View Profile of Ratzaroony Send a personal message to Ratzaroony  Email Ratzaroony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-31 06:41 am   Permalink

A little digging turned up a few references to a Hawaii Tai, used to be on Broadway in New York. Could be he was approached to make some for another restaurant, or these were samples? Hoffman did a lot of experimentation and used several marks, but this is curious.

View Profile of wentiki Send a personal message to wentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 07:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-31 06:41, wentiki wrote:
A little digging turned up a few references to a Hawaii Tai, used to be on Broadway in New York.

pretty sure the new york restaurant was the hawaii kai. hawaii tai is almost certainly a mistake, ta'i is the tahitian cognate of the hawaiian word ka'i, which means "good". so it would either be tahiti tai or hawaii kai. not hawaii tai or tahiti kai.

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation