FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Damon's Glendale anniversary info on page 4
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Damon's Glendale anniversary info on page 4
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-10 7:42 pm   Permalink

Alright, we know it's been on the market for quite a while, but today while driving past I saw a couple of those "notice of change of ownership" signs. Anyone know the scoop here? I don't want to see another vintage polynesian palace bite the dust. Hope it's not too late. I'll try to get some information during the week, but I seem to remember someone here had some inside info about the place a while back.

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki 2007-04-10 17:09 ]

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 7:15 pm   Permalink

Damon's is a tiki palace or would be if the place only had a few more tikis. At any rate, to lose it would be a shame, although the last 2 times I was there business seemed to be doing very, very well.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 9:07 pm   Permalink

It's Monday night. I've been calling both Damon's numbers and get no answer. It doesn't look good.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-12 21:07, spy-tiki wrote:
It's Monday night. I've been calling both Damon's numbers and get no answer. It doesn't look good.

I believe Damon's is closed on Mondays.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 11:26 pm   Permalink

O.K. you're right. Closed Mondays. It's Tuesday and I just called again. The fellow told me that it was in escrow. He thinks for about two more weeks. If escrow falls through we're good, but if it doesn't then there's no info about the new owners or their plans.

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 7:31 pm   Permalink

Article in the paper today says there are new owners who plan to keep things more or less the same! New Chef (old one's retiring) some additions to the menu, some hired, some fired, but essentially the same. Hope so!

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 7:32 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah... and it'll be opened Mondays!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 7:46 pm   Permalink

Relief.

Damon's is one of the Southern California "grand dames" of tiki venues left, along with Bali Hai, Bahooka's and Trader Vic's.

Spy-tiki, Maybe you can convince the new owners to remove the coonskin hat from the tiki by the cash register (or do it yourself - they won't know the difference).

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sinner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-12 11:36 am   Permalink

I live very close to Damons. I like Damons. Alot, in fact. But some things definitely did need to change about that place. The biggest one was the menu, they have like 6 items. I for one am glad to hear that they are bringing in a new chef, hopefully he/she will expand the menu. They'd better not change the garlic bread or that weird salad dressing though, that stuff is good.

*edit*
Good catch mrsmiley! Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: sinner on 2005-01-12 15:13 ]

View Profile of sinner Send a personal message to sinner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-12 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-12 11:36, xxx wrote:
I like Damons. Alot, in fact. But some things definitely did need to change about that place. The biggest one was the menu, they have like 6 items. I for one am glad to hear that they are brining in a new chef, hopefully he/she will expand the menu.

One has to be careful when brining a chef--too much salt and you'll ruin it!! Tee hee!
"TRANSITIVE VERB:
brining -
To immerse, preserve, or pickle in salt water. "
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-20 12:36 am   Permalink

Just had dinner on Monday night under the new ownership. I live in Glendale and have been a Damon's patron for a long, long time. First off let me say I think its a really underated classic Tiki Palace. Great murals, a full sized koa outrigger hanging from the ceiling, E. Savage on the wall, hanging lamps that would bring a fortune on EBay,huge clean aquariums, it's got it all. This place has done a landmark business for decades. The rep with the locals is : soso service, soso food (except for the beloved tossed house salad, and garlic bread), and a Mai Tai (cheap), that will knock you flat on your back. On Monday, the service was much improved (good thing), the salad and garlic bread were off, and the formerly legendary Mai Tais were now run of the mill . This is the house the Mai Tai built, I hope they restore it to its former glory.

[ This Message was edited by: jimbo on 2005-01-28 14:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jimbo on 2005-01-28 15:00 ]

View Profile of jimbo Send a personal message to jimbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 1:45 pm   Permalink

Jimbo--you should write a constructive letter to the owner! -smiley

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sinner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 3:27 pm   Permalink

Jimbo, did you notice any changes to the menu?
Its a shame that the mai tais are taking a turn for the worse though. I sure hope that new owner gets his head out his ass.

View Profile of sinner Send a personal message to sinner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-22 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-20 00:36, jimbo wrote:

I live in Glendale and have been a Damon's patron for a long, long time. First off let me say I think its a really underated classic Tiki Palace. Great murals, a full sized koa outrigger hanging from the ceiling, E. Savage on the wall, hanging lamps that would bring a fortune on EBay,huge clean aquariums, it's got it all.

Here are photos:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2531&forum=1

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 3:57 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest...not necessarily good. The Glendale News Press (1-26-05)...
The city is giving money to business owners to upgrade, remodel, etc. their storefronts. Damon's new owner Jim Campbell said "He is considering one significant change - losing the windowless brown storefront that's about as inviting as a snowstorm"

What the city is up to is getting the main drag ready for a new shopping complex that will be built downtown. The complex will be built by the same people who did the grove in L.A. (fancy disneyland looking kind of place.)

The first bit of remodeling a few years back is all brick and very charming. The next bit that happened looks awful. Kind of like a theme park. Now Damon's could actually be done well, but it looks pretty good on the outside the way it is. (Bamboo an grass mat and tiki poles).

In other words, anything charming about downtown Glendale has been erased by progress and Damon's and one or two others are the last nice things left. (Jax jazz club up the street is another secret treasure) Has anyone contacted them yet with their ideas? I'm gonna drop them a line and ask them to check out Tiki Central. Might even bring my book of tiki on my next visit. Anyone interested in joining in? A platoon of polynesian shirts with advice might be just the thing. Plus with the city money they might be able to afford a couple of Crazy Al pieces.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation