FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Announcing the First Annual Zombie Taste-Off at Tiki Oasis IV!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Announcing the First Annual Zombie Taste-Off at Tiki Oasis IV!
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-12 11:28 am   Permalink

Aloha to all!

It's time to decide: Which Zombie is king?

Here's my idea: Each mixology team will choose one of the many recipes/attempts to duplicate the Zombie and bring all the ingredients necessary to produce 5-10 of their drink. Each team will present their drink in small tasting glasses and people will sample each one and rate them on slips of paper. Votes will be tallied and the favorite formula will be announced. Remember that this is not a contest between mixologists, but rather a contest of recipes to see which Zombie is the overall crowd pleasing champ. We can do this on Saturday at Oasis, maybe late afternoon. I'll offer my room, or maybe we can find a bigger space at Caliente Tropics. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

What do people think? I'm just in the planning stages, so let me have some feedback. (I can see SCDs bullet-points already.) Don't worry about not choosing your favorite recipe- it's just about trying as many as possible. So don't feel bad about picking some "Shag Party" Zombie recipe or something.

Post to this thread your team name and which recipe you'll be bringing. DON'T commit to this unless you'll be there and will bring everything you need for your recipe.

I'll get the ball rolling: Team Martiki will be presenting the Don The Beachcomber Zombie from Intoxica. Think your recipe can stand up to the challenge? Bring it on!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 11:52 am   Permalink

Martiki, you got something here! Great idea. I'll be there with my tongue and taste buds intact. Let me figure out which recipe to present. Just please don't schedule this bonanza during The Maikai Gents' set!

-Iuka G.

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 1:10 pm   Permalink

It could get a little costly. Why not keep the crowd down a little and ask a dollar or three to taste and vote? Then divide all the money amongst the mixers to cut their costs. Imagine if your recipe calls for El Dorado 12 year and Lemon Hart 151 and so on. Or get Otto in on it and get a time and space and make it a full on competition with money prizes. I don't know. I just like to see such things be subsidized for those making drinks, and at a low cost so people can try and everyone is happy.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 10:56 pm   Permalink

I'm in for $5 as a taster. I can't promise I'll be coherent by the end, but I'll slur some kind of recommendation after a few tastes...mmmmmmm pineapply, yummmy....ssssgoooodddddd, burp. YEAH! YOU GOT ANY CHIPS, MAN????

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 11:07 pm   Permalink

I have a $100, no make it $200, betting that Mrs. Pinapple will make it past the 10th round of tasting.
Most of you will be gone by the 5th.
You kick ass Mrs. P !

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 01:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-12 11:28, martiki wrote:

Team Martiki will be presenting the Don The Beachcomber Zombie from Intoxica. Think your recipe can stand up to the challenge? Bring it on!

Well, that's the one I woulda used...

But there are other Zombie recipes you say? Hmmm...

This is going to be an interesting contest!

[ This Message was edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-04-13 01:14 ]

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-13 08:18 am   Permalink

Well, we've already had two threads discussing the various Zombie recipes:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3892&forum=1

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=727&forum=1&start=0

There's gotta be at least seven or more out there. I know I've got these versions:

-Intoxica by Jeff Berry
-Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink -1946
-Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide -1947 (same)
-Tiki Drinks by Adam Rocke
-The World's Best Bartenders' Guide by Scott/Bain
-Hawai'i Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine by Don The Beachcomber by Bitner/Beach
-The Bartender's Guide by Peter Bohrmann
-The New New York Barternder's Guide by Sally Ann Berk
-and of course The Grog Log by Jeff Berry

Swanky, you raise some valid concerns, but here's my thinking. I don't want to open this tasting up to all of the Oasis guests. That would be madness, and I know (all too well) how people get when there's free booze. It would also require each person to buy a lot of booze to feed that many people. This is by TC members for TC members. If you make five regular Zombies, then pour them into tasting sized samples, you'd get about 30 tasters. That would probably be enough for this, and would use maybe 5-8 ounces of a Lemon Hart 151 for example, leaving you with plenty of extra. (Extra Lemon Hart has never been a problem for me). So you'll go home with most of your investment. I also don't want to offer a cash prize, because while mixology skills are required, the contest is about the drink, not who makes it. Each team could put out a tip jar which would offset the costs somewhat. I guess I just want to keep this a little on the small side and not make a big deal out of it- martiki's taking a break from big event planning for a bit, and needs this vacation to work through some SF Crawl PTSD issues.

But...none of this will much matter if no one else signs up for the contest, so let's see some names soon. Remember, the object is to offer as many different recipes as possible. Don't feel like you have to offer your favorite. In fact, some of the lesser known recipes have fewer and less expensive ingredients.

mahalo!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 1:29 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Well, I've already started collecting booze for the Oasis, so I'm ready willing and able to volunteer to be a "mixologist" and/or "team player", etc. for this event.

I'm in for whatever is decided in terms of volunters, participants, etc., this sounds great!

Humm...any ladies up for an all girl team? "The Sarong Sistas"

[ This Message was edited by: cheekygirl on 2004-04-13 19:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cheekygirl on 2004-04-13 20:41 ]

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-15 10:27 pm   Permalink

I have an idea. Get the teams together and mix it up! Then, have all the vendors do the sampling. I'm sure you will all get better deals on products if "they're all buzzed!" Like noon time!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-16 10:32 am   Permalink

Well, the "great idea" has yielded 0 teams so far, so here's the last bump up the thread before I call this off.

mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 11:11 am   Permalink

we'll just crawl to room 211 and drink all your booze then. Oh wait, we'd have done that anyway...

we're putting a tip jar in our room for AIDS ride pledges. It's a secret what you'll get for your tips though....

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 11:40 am   Permalink

Great Idea! I'm in. I'll either mix my own recipe or I'll pick one of the others. Gotta find my copies of Grog Log and Intoxica. I also have a bottle of Laird's Applejack (horrid stuff!) that I can bring along.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 7:09 pm   Permalink

Martiki! Damn! This is a great idea I don't want it to go by the wayside. I'm an organizational freak, so I offer my services, help, etc. Here's my idea which I respectfully offer:

Zombie Recipes

Someone that has access and/or has Zombie recipes: Please type them out and post them--ingredients and all.

Teams

Anyone interested please 1) post and confirm that you will be a Team Leader and chose several friends to help with the mixing--prior to the event. A recipe should be assigned by the Event Coordinator, and the team should bring all necessary ingredients.

Judges

If you'd like to be a judge, post that you want to be a judge. The Event Coordinator will write down all the submissions, pull names from a hat and inform the lucky winners.

Costs

There were a couple of suggestions about cost absorption on this thread. I know you can't sell booze without a license, but a donation or entry fee should be okay. Everyone should probably pay a reasonable amount, say $5 including judges and people who want to sample--all the entries. Teams can give an estimated cost expense and proceeds can be divided fairly accordingly--some items are more expensive than others.

Event Coordinator/Coordination

1) confirm participation of judges (who & how many
2) confirm participation of team/team leaders (who & how many)
3) randomly assign recipes to team leaders (since this is not a contest, it shouldn't matter what team is making what)
4) choose time and location for the event 5) Post and/or announce and/or make flyers as notification of event
6) provide and/or assign someone to:
a) bring chips/crackers for judges to cleanse palates between taste tests
b) if necessary arrange for folding tables or other mixing surface
c) identification tags and/or hats for Official Judges
d) prepare score sheets and bring pen & penclis for Judges
e) plastic cups for samples (suggest 6 oz cups -- for 3 oz samples
f) identification labels for drinks (suggest color coding dots)
g)assign someone to collect $5 for those participating & to reimburse mixing teams fairly

Of course, as you've mentioned none of this is possible without volunteers to judge/teams and submit recipes.

Well, that's my 5 bucks worth. I'm willing to put my moola where my mouth is and 1) be a team leader 2) bring a 6" table, if deemed necessary and/or help with whatever is required Martiki!

Sorry about being long-winded....but I think this would be great fun!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 7:11 pm   Permalink

I just saw how long-winded I was up there -- someone hit me in a head with a rock!

Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-17 12:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-16 10:32, martiki wrote:
Well, the "great idea" has yielded 0 teams so far, so here's the last bump up the thread before I call this off.

Maybe because it's a little like Tiger Woods asking everyone if they're up for a round of golf.

I know it's supposed to be a contest of recipes and not mixing skills, but I, for one, am much too humble and shy to parade my pathetic mixology "skills" in front of The Amazing Martiki. Maybe if I were drunk first.....wait, is there a drinking contest before yours I can be a judge at?

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation