FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki The Tiki Leilani Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Tiki Leilani Mug
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-17 8:33 pm   Permalink

My contributions:

The Tiki Leilani store display (with light bulb to illuminate bottle)

and original Tiki Leilanis in box.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-22 09:50 am   Permalink

the seller for this one wants $55, i suppose based on the braniff connection.

does anyone have this one?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 12:55 pm   Permalink

Here are a few of the many faces and varieties of the classic Leilani mug along with some notes on maker's marks (a few of these mugs are distant relatives):

• Row 1: USA "Tiki Leilani", Orchids Of Hawaii (OOH) R91 Plain, OOH "Leilani", USA "Tiki Leilani" (Green)
  • Row 2: "Braniff Int'l", "Diamond Head", OOH R91H "Hawaiian Inn", "Hawaiian Village"
  • Row 3: USA (Rust/Gold), Unmarked (Chubby), "Tiki Tiki Tiki" (New), Unmarked (New)
  • Row 4: Tahiti (Green), Tahiti (Blue), Enco Tall, Enco Handle

I'm sure there are many more but that's a good start. Also, I would love to see images of an original Orchids of Hawaii ordering catalog if anyone has one.

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: ModMana on 2004-04-26 12:57 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:
the seller for this one wants $55, i suppose based on the braniff connection.

I saw this exact Leilani in an antique store in Dallas for $36.00 (didn't buy it). There was a sign next to it that said "Only used once on flight from DFW to Honolulu." So whats the deal with Braniff? Is this an extremely rare mug? Is $36.00 a good price? ME NEED INFO!!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 10:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-26 12:55, ModMana wrote:
I would love to see images of an original Orchids of Hawaii ordering catalog if anyone has one.

ModMana

Here is our little buddy in the Orchids of Hawaii Cataloge.

The full page...

The Cataloge Cover...

ModMana, Thanks for posting the pics! Definately some I've never seen.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 11:26 am   Permalink

Cool, thanks MauiTiki! I'd love to see the rest of that catalog sometime. I didn't realize that OOH were still in business in 1988 (see cover). Now, if we could just find someone with the elusive OMC catalog...

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-26 12:55, ModMana wrote:
Here are a few of the many faces and varieties of the classic Leilani mug along with some notes on maker's marks (a few of these mugs are distant relatives):

hey modmana, do you know if the list above were single-or double sided? just wondering.

mahalo for taking the effort to compile!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 11:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-27 11:26, ModMana wrote:
I didn't realize that OOH were still in business in 1988 (see cover).

MM, OOH didn't go out of business until the 90's sometime. In addition to the catalog pictured above, I also have one dated 1991.

The catalog I'd really like to get a hold of is the one from CocoJoe's!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 12:21 pm   Permalink

This lantern looks like it also belongs to the Tiki Leilani tradition

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-27 11:26, ModMana wrote:
Cool, thanks MauiTiki! I'd love to see the rest of that catalog sometime.

ModMana this is the only other page I have an image of. I think these were the only pages with Tiki Mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki on 2004-04-30 21:54 ]

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-01 01:14 am   Permalink

I can't believe that the lowly Leilani mug is receiving so much attention. He's gotten a bad reputation but it really is a quality mug...
Quote:

On 2004-04-27 11:30, Johnny Dollar wrote:
hey modmana, do you know if the list above were single-or double sided? just wondering.

Sorry JD, the only ones in my photo that I actually own are the brown and green glazed mugs that say "TIki Leilani" across the bottom. Those are definitely 2-sided. The others, I'm not sure.

Thanks MauiTiki for posting the other OOH catalog page. I expected that it would have contained more tiki items. There are several OOH mugs (not in your catalog) that are pretty obscure. Maybe those were produced in earlier years?

ModMana

Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 5:27 pm   Permalink

I went to a city-wide garage sale held in a parking structure this past sunday. I wasn't having too much luck, but then my wife came running up to me with arms flailing and a big grin on her face. By her excitement, you'd think she had found a dozen Witco fountains for $10 each. She grabbed me by the arm and dragged me over to this table:

HUMPH!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 9:46 pm   Permalink

Hey F Z .............Isn't that the "rare" tiki Leilani 10 pin bowling set ????

Well at least the Mrs. was trying to help.
Better luck next time! And one last thought,
that table represents more mugs than I will see all summer at the many yard sales I will go to here in the tiki-barren midwest.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 06:03 am   Permalink

Naugatiki, I just found 2 of those lanterns myself! What do you know about them?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-19 8:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha collecting people!

So today I had one of my rare Tiki mug encounters at a fave Manhattan flea market and as it turns out it was a good one. I'll tell ya, it's very difficult to find anything Tiki collectible around here. In the last year I have only seen two or three Hawaii Kai collectible mugs and an Otagari, but these were all out of the price range when I found them. Today it seems it all gelled when I found two of these Tiki Leilani mugs. From what I have read here it seems like these are the latent/anti-heros of the Tiki mug world. Why is that? The guy originally wanted $10 a piece for them but I got him to give me the pair for $15. Pretty cool. The model I got was the straight up Orchids of Hawaii R91 (rust color) with 'Tiki Leilani' on the base. There's no USA marking on the bottom, just blank.

Also last week, I found a pair of lanterns for $9, very similiar the ones Naugatiki posted earlier on this thread. They are the same candle-lit/hanging lanterns but the ones I have are rust in color, and have slanted, rather than round eyes. There are no markings anywhere to indicate where these came from. The lady that sold them to me said they were 'from the 50s or 60s', but ain't that always the case? Anybody have any info on these?

Two weeks with some decent Tiki finds, and thanks to my fiancee for pointing them out, otherwise I prolly woulda glossed right over them. Hope this is the start of a trend for me...

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-19 21:06 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation