FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki The Tiki Leilani Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Tiki Leilani Mug
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-19 10:00 pm   Permalink

Excellent topic you guys. There is a lady here at my local Swap Meet who calls me the, "Tiki King." She's great because she always holds any tiki mugs she finds and sells them only to me. Funny thing, here's what I got from her today. I paid her $20 for the whole lot. My favorite piece, however, was the Kon Tiki Ashtray. Here it is, enjoy...

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-19 11:13 pm   Permalink

Holy shite man!! You got all that for $20?? I gotta move outta New York!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 02:06 am   Permalink

Came across another Leilani, but with a twist...

It seems that a few years ago Wayne & Teauila decided to make their own mug for their venerable "Teauila's Hawaii" Polynesian extravaganza at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach.
Someone took a mold of a Leilani (maybe a Hawaiian Inn version?), but before molding, they used an old-school Dymo labelmaker to cover up the old name on the base. The quality of the detail is pretty bad, being at least a 2nd generation mold...
Anybody else found one of these?

-On the eternal search for the recipe for Kobe's white sauce -

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
troitrek

Posted: 2005-10-10 4:33 pm   Permalink

Hello everyone, I have 2 one-sided mugs with Orchids of Hawaii- Japan on the bottom. No letters on the front bottom. These came from a restaurant called the Luau Room. It was closed many years ago. The colors are dark and light brown.

View Profile of troitrek Send a personal message to troitrek  Email troitrek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 9:12 pm   Permalink

JonPez,

Wow this is interesting. Thanks for the pics.

I'm not sure if this mug is worth more or less than the original.

If Sven or Duke had it in their books, it would be worth a mint, but I'm afraid it falls into the category of "Homemade" tiki. Yes?

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-01 8:47 pm   Permalink

MauiTiki...
I thought the homemade ones were ones that people painted themselves. These were somewhat commercially available, being sold at the show. Not the most professional job, but still cool...

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-02 8:02 pm   Permalink

I consider "homemade" where a mold was made from an existing mug and made at home or at ceramics class.

I guess this falls into the middle somewhere.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-23 12:31 pm   Permalink

Now Big Lot has it's own Tiki Leilani knock off in cheap plastic at 10% off. This one is also two sided but both sides are smiling.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-23 1:12 pm   Permalink

In a couple years, this is what will pass as a Tiki Mug at your local Big Rots:

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 9:38 pm   Permalink

Just saw these turn up on eBay...

'TAHITI' ON THE FRONT, 'TUCSON, AZ' ON THE BACK

I don't know anything about them, but they sold for $50 (with three other mugs from the same restaurant).

I could just collect different Leilani Mugs, I can't believe how many variations turn up.

www.stuckonmaui.com

tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 10:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-14 21:38, MauiTiki wrote:

I don't know anything about them, but they sold for $50 (with three other mugs from the same restaurant).

I could just collect different Leilani Mugs, I can't believe how many variations turn up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a few of those my sister brought back from her trip to Tucson from a vintage/junk/antique store. They're different colors too.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 12:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-14 21:38, MauiTiki wrote:

Actually the other three mugs were not from the Tahiti, rather they were old mugs from the still open Kon Tiki. Funny thing is that those six mugs were sold from Tucson, and weren't listed that well. I went into one of my regular thrift stores two days ago, and this time happened to mention that I collect tiki mugs. The lady behind the counter stated that they had had a set of six of them a couple weeks ago. My guess is that it was these same six mugs. Oh well... I have two of the Tahiti mugs, but only one of the Kon Tiki ones, in a totally different color.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 06:05 am   Permalink

Looks to me like somebody new is making these iconic mugs. I was given this unmarked Leilani by my friend 8ft Tiki, who pointed out the differences between this mug and other Leilanis. This one has a more peanuty appearance and its features are much sharper. The mouth is larger, too. There's no doubt what it is, but it's obviously a different sculpt.

Here's a generic OoH R-91 (left) for comparison.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 09:50 am   Permalink

OPPS,SORRY
wrong place

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-10-17 12:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-10-17 12:20 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 10:03 am   Permalink

Don't know anything about "Bades," but your Leilani sure looks better than mine!

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2010-10-17 10:03 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation