FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki The Tiki Leilani Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Tiki Leilani Mug
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-18 09:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-13 06:05, SilverLine wrote:
Looks to me like somebody new is making these iconic mugs. I was given this unmarked Leilani by my friend 8ft Tiki, who pointed out the differences between this mug and other Leilanis. This one has a more peanuty appearance and its features are much sharper. The mouth is larger, too. There's no doubt what it is, but it's obviously a different sculpt.

Here's a generic OoH R-91 (left) for comparison.

That's the
McCoy Pottery version. Should be double sided too. (Face on front and back?)

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 3:42 pm   Permalink

I'll be darned. We didn't even suspect we had the "Real McCoy". Sorry, another bad pun from 8FT. As you suggest Swanky, it is double sided but they look very minty and are not marked in any way. Thanks for the identification.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 09:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-20 15:42, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I'll be darned. We didn't even suspect we had the "Real McCoy". Sorry, another bad pun from 8FT. As you suggest Swanky, it is double sided but they look very minty and are not marked in any way. Thanks for the identification.

Extra heavy too right?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 5:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-21 09:37, Swanky wrote:
Extra heavy too right?

Actually, no. It's really light and fairly thin. I have a double-sided USA marked Leilani that's really heavy, but this one is different. The casting is VERY sharp and fresh.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 5:35 pm   Permalink

A lot of the photos in this thread have disappeared. I will try to put some pics of mine here soon. For now here is the rarer? Braniff one. I passed on it until it went half price.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 6:26 pm   Permalink

Congrats 8-ft! I was stalking that one too! Were you at the "mall" today??

Prices for the good ol' Leilani seem stuck at $10 each or more here locally, even though there also seems to be NO shortage of them.

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 8:06 pm   Permalink

Silverline, I was there Yesterday. Couldn't pass it up at that price. Here are the other Leilani items I have.

Mug row

The main differences are weight, height, one-sided or 2 sided and also how wide the mouth is open.

These 3 are one-sided and are marked Orchids of Hawaii R-91 or R 91-H Japan. The mouths are slightly opened.

These 3 are 2-sided and are a bit shorter but much heavier or thicker walled. Mouth is slightly more opened.

These are the "wide open" mouths. They are 2-sided and are unmarked.

The rest of the items are: S&P set, tall 2-sided mug and table lantern with handle. Unmarked but possibly made by Quon Quon Japan.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 08:12 am   Permalink

I have this Green one with no bottom markings...He's pretty cool.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-04-02 7:09 pm   Permalink

Picked this guy up quite a while ago on eBay. Maybe an artist proof for the USA-made or Braniff mugs?

I'm guessing the M BLUE is midnight blue, and denotes the glaze color test. The detail on it seems too defined to be a copy. It's double-sided similar to the ones above.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-04-02 19:15 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation