Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Need lahala mounting tips
Need lahala mounting tips
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 4:58 pm   Permalink

I have some lahala matting I want to mount onto a brick wall. What's the best way to do so and not destroy the brick's appearance (so it can be removed when we eventually move)?

I thought of mounting thin plywood or mdf to the brick and stapling the mat to that, which would provide a good backing to nail or screw stuff to. But then how to attach the wood to brick?

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 5:16 pm   Permalink

I have the same problem, but with an exterior stucco wall.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 5:35 pm   Permalink

plastic anchors into the mortar(not the brick) after you move drill'm out and patch

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID on 2004-04-13 17:37 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-13 6:07 pm   Permalink

In this thread (The Rincon Room-Home Bar);
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8315&forum=7&15

bongofury used:
Quote:
used an adhesive for attaching fiberglass insulation to sheet metal duct

I don't know how strong the bond would be to brick, though, but it may be worth a try. Drilling in brick is messy and hard to reverse, if you decide to take the matting down in the future. Swanky may have some tips too here (Added bamboo fencing to the walls):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6953&forum=7

good luck! (be sure to post pictures when it's done, because we want to see!)

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-04-13 18:13 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 6:44 pm   Permalink

The proper way to do it and have it be removable is to glue it on to 1/4" plywood and mount the plywood to the wall.

Use contact cement with a special glue roller (it fits on a paint roller). Glue up the plywood and a little on the lauhala and let dry.

The plywood can be mounted with 4 screws instead of dozens of staples and the only impact it will have on your wall will be screw holes which can be filled later.

Give it a try.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 6:51 pm   Permalink

Yes, you must screw into the mortar, not the brick. The brick will simply be destroyed. This was a huge problem at Hale Tiki with 200 year old brick that was extra brittle.

Since it's not much weight, it might not call for heavy duty screws, which is easier.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation