FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Wedding Sign, etc.
Tiki Wedding Sign, etc.
Tikitronic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-14 4:38 pm   Permalink

So, the mysteriously monikered 'Kim' and I had our wedding ceremony this past weekend:)

I decided to try my hand at carving/sculpting a few items of tiki-themed decor for the reception - a welcome sign and stylized outriggers for table centerpieces. Some of the results
( the less horrid ones )
are shown below...

Centerpiece 1

Centerpiece 1 - Back

Centerpiece 1 - Prow

Centerpiece 2

Centerpiece 2 - Back

Centerpiece 2 - Prow

Centerpiece 3

Centerpiece 3 - Back

Centerpiece 3 - Prow

The Welcome Sign

The Welcome Sign - Bottom

The Welcome Sign - Top

The Welcome Sign - Top, Closer

View Profile of Tikitronic Send a personal message to Tikitronic  Goto the website of Tikitronic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitronic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-14 4:56 pm   Permalink

Oh - I forgot to add the practical technical details - the project took about 9 weeks (including a few false starts as I figured out how the tools and the various media worked) to produce the sign and 6 centerpiece boat/planter/things.

The sign is about 6 feet tall, the boats averaged 2 feet long.

They're made out of Pink Insulation Styrofoam, with a little bondo and paper-clay to blend the seams. The shapes were roughed out with a hot knife, and finished with a dremel grinder.

Blah blah blah.

View Profile of Tikitronic Send a personal message to Tikitronic  Goto the website of Tikitronic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 4:59 pm   Permalink

Very imaginative!
And congratulations!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 5:55 pm   Permalink

VERY cool!
Great use of an otherwise boring household product.
Sounds like you wedding was top-notch! Congratulations.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 6:11 pm   Permalink

Wow, I love it, Noel! I especially love that sign, it looks like something Oceanic Arts would have done for the Polynesian Village Resort. Very cool.

So, how many times are you two going to get married, anyway? I hope you guys had a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing you in June!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 6:44 pm   Permalink

Just twice!

One courthouse marriage ceremony, one big lounge/exotica tiki party!

View Profile of Kim Send a personal message to Kim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-14 18:44, Kim wrote:
Just twice!

Why stop there? I think you should make it an annual event.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 10:31 pm   Permalink

Your craftwork ROCKS!!!!!!

Some excellent work.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 11:48 pm   Permalink

"You Got a Job, Man!" Go with it!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiBud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-15 8:04 pm   Permalink

Those centerpieces rock! Nice work tikitronic!

View Profile of TikiBud Send a personal message to TikiBud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 6:15 pm   Permalink

Wow!! Tikitronic those are awesome. Excellent job with the finish also. So how does that stuff smell when working with it? I have been wanting to do some sign work using foam, dremel and sandblaster. Your creations have given me new inspiration.
By the way, Inside the Tiki Farm has a Drew Brophy piece made out of sign foam above the staircase that leads to Drew's studio. It is pretty big and very cool also. Not sure what tools and technique he used though.
Chongolio
Anymore in the works?

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-16 18:16 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitronic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-16 8:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Chongolio - the styro fumes are terrible - after a half-hour I went out and invested in a respirator and enclosed goggles.

But now, of course, I'm totally hooked on the carving/sculpting process. I've got a new project going in the basement already...

miko

Posted: 2007-11-24 6:24 pm   Permalink

Tikitronic,
Your wedding sounded awesome. I'm so sad the photos are no longer posted . I did see that your post is 4 years old, but I would be so happy of you could repost your wedding pics. I'm having a very similar wedding.

Thank You

View Profile of miko Send a personal message to miko      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation