[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Movie: "The Party."
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Movie: "The Party."
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 10:07 am   Permalink

i looked and could not find a thread about this movie. of course, if you search the forum every third post is about a "party"

but i have noticed that this 1968 movie by blake edwards appears to be a seminal movie in many TC'er minds.

aside from my favorite catchphrase of all time (birdie num-num), i love the song "nothing to lose" sung by claudine longet, who incidentally was signed by herb alpert's a&m records about the same time as this movie (surprise)

wanted to point out that dimitri from paris' album "sacrebleu" covers the song quite wonderfully: track 4 - vocal, 18 - lounge instrumental.

enjoy the party! j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 11:14 am   Permalink

Funny you should bring that up! I am totally thrilled to say that I registered the username 'birdynumnums' on Ebay the other day. I couldn't beleive it wasn't taken, so I had to have it!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

Johnny Dollar wrote:
i looked and could not find a thread about this movie. of course, if you search the forum every third post is about a "party"...but i have noticed that this 1968 movie by blake edwards appears to be a seminal movie in many TC'er minds...

J$~
True. There isn't an actual thread on this movie, but merely brief (honorable) mentions of it
here, here, and here.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-16 11:14, tikifish wrote:
Funny you should bring that up! I am totally thrilled to say that I registered the username 'birdynumnums' on Ebay the other day. I couldn't beleive it wasn't taken, so I had to have it!

it had to be...

http://www.birdynumnum.com/

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 11:46 am   Permalink

This movie requires a new thread of it's own.

I rented it just to show my fiance what the hell I'm talking about every time I say 'birdie num-num' And the house is SO COOL. There should have been tikis by the pool.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 1:14 pm   Permalink

Birdi num num audio
http://www.petersellers.org/numnum.wav

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 1:24 pm   Permalink

What a funny movie. Years after I saw The Party I watched a few French movies made by Jacques Tati. (Movie Madness rents them here in Portland.) One of them had to have influenced Edwards as the main scene has that same "party spinning out of control" theme. I think the title is Playtime. Seems like there are about
five or six Tati movies that are available to rent. Mr. Hulot's Holiday is very funny and all are worth checking out.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-16 2:19 pm   Permalink

I love Jacques Tati movies! How about the one (Mon Oncle) where a family lives in a ultra-modern house and throw a party, and Jacques Tati plays a guest who gets into all kinds of trouble with the modern gadgets? Hey, wait a minute, that's the same story that they used in The Party 10 years later! And Jacques Tati didn't have to speak a word to make it funny. Don't get me wrong, I like The Party. Peter Sellers and Jacques Tati are both comic geniuses.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 4:19 pm   Permalink

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Dad took us to see it in the theatre when it came out. I was a little kid so that scene with the toilet paper was the funniest thing to me.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 4:43 pm   Permalink

LIVE the dream...
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8605&forum=6&0

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 4:44 pm   Permalink

I loved the scenes at the modern house where the couple are looking out the round windows and their heads move in tandem like giant eyeballs. No problem if you don't speak French as the humor in these films is mostly non-verbal.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 5:38 pm   Permalink

When ever I feel myself getting grim around the mouth what words always bring a smile to my face.... That's right; num nums, Birdie num nums.
It feels good try it.
So Zazz.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 7:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for starting this thread, Johnny Dollar! I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've heard enough references to it that it's been on my list for a while. Tonight's the night! I'm going to go pick up a copy, and Floratina's on her way over to watch it with me and drink champagne.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-17 02:03 am   Permalink

Is it available on DVD (either in the US or Europe)? I saw it about 8 years ago, found it WAY better than expected, but haven't seen a copy since.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-17 02:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-17 02:03, Trader Woody wrote:
Is it available on DVD (either in the US or Europe)? I saw it about 8 years ago, found it WAY better than expected, but haven't seen a copy since.
Trader Woody

Netflix has it. This is surely the coolest
bachelor pad around (in this movie).
P.S., This was the movie where I fell in love with Carol Wayne.

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-04-17 02:35 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation