FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Are you an Eagle Scout ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Are you an Eagle Scout ?
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-20 11:58 pm   Permalink

Eagle scout don't surf
The beach was where the action was to be had!
Although, I did take first place one year in the pinewood derby.
Soapbox derbys were thrillin' too, no lawyers chasin behind ya back then.

High sign,
Den monkey Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 12:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-20 23:58, Chongolio wrote:
High sign,
Den monkey Chongolio

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-04-21 09:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-20 22:16, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-04-20 18:39, thebaxdog wrote:

Man, did I look good in a uniform.

Tiki Bong told me a while back on one of the OC bus ride crawls that he dreamed of Bax in a uniform. Joking or not, I bailed to the back of the bus for the rest of the crawl. Baxdog, watch your back!

Well, yeah maybe I did mention something to the effect of fantasizing about my big, burly Greek God in a uniform that night of drunken lust.

At least now that I have my inflatable Baxdog love monkey I don't have to dream about it - I just do it!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 1:30 pm   Permalink

Hawaiian Life Scout here. Had a good time camping, snorkeling, surfing at Bellows Beach, Pupukea, Hanauma Bay, etc. Hiked Wiamea Canyon, Diamond Head, Olomana, and Helakala. Had to learn to pound poi and roast pig luau style for the Aloha Council Hawaiiana Award. Almost got eaten by a shark swimming to Chinaman's Hat. Learned to drink, smoke and shoot guns with Vietnam vets turned summer camp counselors. Can't figure out why we didn't do any tiki carving. Seems like they would have had a merit badge for that. I was close to Eagle when my firends and I all dropped out. Wish I had finished the program.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sillisculpt

Posted: 2004-04-21 2:06 pm   Permalink

barely made it through cub scouts and dropped out of weblows. hated having to meet in a church basement. never liked the smell.
hated those blue cub scout shirts without a proper collar and having to wear it to school with the scarf. but the merrit pins you could buy at the local department store were cool. i still have one as a tie pin.
but now i recently found a vintage boy scout shirt i will wear proudly. because i'm prepared....

View Profile of sillisculpt Send a personal message to sillisculpt  Email sillisculpt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 6:31 pm   Permalink

Man are you wrong on the beach reference.

We camped at San Onofre twice per year and literally could throw a rock from the tent to the water. The whole point of the trip was to surf. 3 days straight.

We stayed on Catalina Island each summer and spearfished for food. Cliff Jumping from 60 feet into the ocean. 20 person canoes to paddle around the island. Mt Whitney, Yosemite, Snowboarding Trips to Mammoth Mountain. Rockclimbing trips to Joshua Tree. I was on a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon to the Havasu Indian reservation and passed Peter Tosh (of reggae fame) while walking into the village. Apparently he had just done a benefit concert for the indians a few days before.

Unless you are lucky enough to have parents who choose to take adventurous trips, scouting allows the "average kid" with "average parents" to experience some extraordinary things.

The whole point of the scouting organization is to have a high level of participation from all types of parents. When the only volunteers are kooky introverts with a distorted sense of power then you get a super lame organization that bores kids to death. Hence the "cool" kids leave.

The parents who surf, and do adventurous things need to participate and steer the group in a direction that they would like to see.

My boy scout years Kicked Ass.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 6:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-21 18:31, Monkeyman wrote:
Man are you wrong on the beach reference.

Sorry, I am speaking from my own experience with the troop I was in. They were all about jamborees and Pancake breakfasts in the Sears parking lot.
The older kids, the Eagle scouts, were mostly jocks who thought the surfers were dirtbags. I think I went on one camp out during the four years I was in the boys scouts. It was fun when I was a kid, but became more boring than going to church by the time I was 14.

Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-21 23:15 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 8:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-21 18:31, Monkeyman wrote:
We camped at San Onofre twice per year and literally could throw a rock from the tent to the water.

I've been camping at San Onofre and San Clemente all my childhood years. Great times.
I wasn't a scout, but we chased after the girl scouts for merit badges.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-24 4:08 pm   Permalink

I made Eagle Scout in 1979. My dad was Scoutmaster, and I probably wouldn't have made it if he hadn't, ahem, encouraged me. Damn glad he did now. Our troop did make a crude attempt at carving a big totem pole out of a dead tree at a campsite one summer. It may have been the genesis of my tiki interest, who knows!?

View Profile of TikiMikey Send a personal message to TikiMikey  Email TikiMikey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 09:56 am   Permalink

I thought Scouts were supposed to be good people and have good ethics. Check this out.

--------------
Subj: i want to buy a hut

Daytime phone: 310 647 3929

Brian Lloyd

310-378-6214

Tiger Scouts Pack 718

Den 1

Forwarded Message:
Subj: RE: Aloha!
Date: 4/26/2004 9:02:35 PM Pacific Standard Time
plloyd@socal.rr.com
To: MrsBamboo@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Aloha,

I did stop by from 10ish to 11ish. Ben did not stop byish. So, I hung loose and took some picture(ishes). The designs were fairly juvenile. But, we got some ideas. I figure that we could make some improvements, have some day workers knock them out on a Saturday, sell them for $300 and make a decent profit. Thanks and aloha!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 3:58 PM

Subject: Aloha!

Aloha Brian,

If you are in the vicinity of Huntington Beach, the best thing to do is to stop by our store which is open the the public on Saturday 10:00-5:00'ish and Sunday 11:00-4:00'ish. Weekday appointments are available in the workshop, however, it would be a good idea to check out Ben's style and we can go from there.

Mahalo,

Mrs. Bamboo

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor

712 Yorktown Ave

Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648

714 960-1860 (message and updated info

--------------------------------------

I get this all the time. People wanting to rip me off. This one struck a nerve. A Tiger Club Den Leader?? And, to be stupid enough to leave his phone # and information on the e-mail and to say he's gonna knock me off!

Any thoughts on this one out there in Tiki Central Land??

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-04-27 09:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
Any thoughts on this one out there in Tiki Central Land??

Ignore it as it will just eat you up.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-04-27 10:38 am   Permalink

What the fu$&'s up with that alleged 'tiki shop' opening up diagonally across from you Ben?

Jeez, can we get any closer to try to draw on your span of business cause we can't draw our own?

No worries bruddah Ben, I'm sure it will be belly up by Fall...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-27 10:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
What the fu$&'s up with that alleged 'tiki shop' opening up diagonally across from you Ben?
----------------
It's that shop that Bwanatiki was talking about. The "lawn service tiki shop". I got to say that Bwanatiki and his bud Jason are Not on My Happy List. I do NOT want to meet either of them. (you reading this bwana? tell this to Jason.)

-------------------------

Jeez, can we get any closer to try to draw on your span of business cause we can't draw our own?

---------------------------
Bingo! And, if in any way, shape or form they copy, steal or borrow (aka "you inspired me"), ANY of my designs (which are all one of a kind, signed, pictured and dated) they will be spending their life in court.

I've had it with this "inspired crap" (without asking ). We'll just say, I have done work for several attorneys who have become good friends. "This is Not a threat." Just a Heads Up on those who I inspire!!! And, or, those who are "profitting" off my "inspiration" whithout my permission.

----------------------
No worries bruddah Ben, I'm sure it will be belly up by Fall...

-------------------------
This will be up to "how fly by night they really are"(?). I've been doing "Custom Tropical Decor and Tiki Bars" for 15 years. The Bamboo Ben Store is going on 5 years. We'll see who survives when the "fad" is over.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation