FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Lun Wah, Roselle, NJ (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Lun Wah, Roselle, NJ (restaurant)
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 3:04 pm   Permalink

I got to visit Lun Wah when I was in the area over Thanksgiving. I liked it quite a bit, it's small, but very charming. We didn't have time to stay for long, so we just hung out in the bar and had a couple of drinks and some appetizers. The drinks were pretty awful, but served in tiki mugs, and really I didn't expect anything on that front anyhow. Trott was thrilled with his potstickers -- he grew up in New Jersey and apparently the potstickers we have here on the west coast don't match what he grew up with, so he was happy to revisit his China-via-NJ memories. The decor was much better than I was expecting -- the white walls aren't as glaring in real life as they are in the pictures -- but it could stand to gain a few more actual tikis. The bar was packed with locals there to watch a football game, and they were very friendly (during the commercials, anyway). The fellow behind the counter has been there since it became Lun Wah in 1974. Before 1974, the place was called Red Dragon.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 15:04, Humuhumu wrote:
Trott was thrilled with his potstickers -- he grew up in New Jersey and apparently the potstickers we have here on the west coast don't match what he grew up with, so he was happy to revisit his China-via-NJ memories.

That could be said for Chinese food in general...Much better on the East Coast.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 4:04 pm   Permalink

I think that all depends on what you're used to! I'd have to put my money on San Francisco for best Chinese food.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 5:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 16:04, suzanne wrote:
I think that all depends on what you're used to! I'd have to put my money on San Francisco for best Chinese food.

Suzanne

Ever been to Queens or Long Island ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:16 pm   Permalink

Nope, can't say I have yet, Jim.

But if you're ever in SF at the same time I am, I'll take you to my fav places there.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savage sissy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-24 10:57 pm   Permalink

I work with a lady who is from Roselle and has pictures of the Lun Wah from the late 70's and early 80's. She told me that they were of people not the decor, I told her, doesn't matter, the decor is in the background and all the fanatics can look past people. She's going to bring them in for me and I'll post when I have them.

View Profile of savage sissy Send a personal message to savage sissy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 05:32 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-03-24 22:57, savage sissy wrote:
"I told her, doesn't matter, the decor is in the background and all the fanatics can look past people."

Sounds great. Always good to see the old places even with an aunt or uncle in the way.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lastbarmanpoet

Posted: 2013-08-16 10:18 am   Permalink

I am a Lun Wah fan! Place is a great environment. I read some of the comments here but their eggrolls are the best, the music is definitely Hawaiian (although they sometimes forget to put it on, just ask and they will do so) and everyone is so nice and helpful! My wife has been going there for 20 years, introduced me when we got together 10 years ago. Never knew there was a network of people dedicated to tiki, but I signed up here just so I could comment on Lun Wah. I'll have to check out some of the other places on here!

View Profile of lastbarmanpoet Send a personal message to lastbarmanpoet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lastbarmanpoet

Posted: 2013-09-10 5:55 pm   Permalink

LUN WAH IS GREAT!

View Profile of lastbarmanpoet Send a personal message to lastbarmanpoet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
melisaHawk

Posted: 2014-02-06 03:03 am   Permalink

I had an amazing dinning experience at Lun Wah Restaurant. Food was very delicious also the service was nice and speedy at very affordable prices. Nice ambiance , Fantastic Food and Great services.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2014-02-06 06:18 ]

View Profile of melisaHawk Send a personal message to melisaHawk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation