Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kono Hawaii postcard
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kono Hawaii postcard
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-08-22 6:03 pm   Permalink

Check out this postcard of Kona Hawaii in Santa Ana (sadly closed):
http://www.santaanahistory.com/postcards/14031054.jpg

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-08-22 6:14 pm   Permalink

Kono Hawaii was a great place. My wife, Madam Bong, saw Don Ho and the Ali'is there in the early 70's. The photo for this postcard was obviously taken decades ago as the Kono was on Harbor Blvd which is a major street now.

I'm pretty sure the building is still there but vacant. If those walls could talk, they'd cry...

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-08-22 18:15 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 7:22 pm   Permalink

It's funny, but I just got done reading "Santa Ana in vintage postcards", and was searching for Kono Hawaii here.

What a cool place! The book says;
"This restaraunt, located at 226 S. harbor, was well known for it's entertainment (Don Ho performed there) and indoor streams populated by Koi"

My kind of place!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 7:23 pm   Permalink

And that's the same picture in the book....nice!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 7:37 pm   Permalink

Lucas,
so close to us now, but so far away in time eh?
sadly I never went there when I was a wee lad, and when I moved back in 81 it was closed, with a fence around it.
I dont think the building is there now.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 8:37 pm   Permalink

I went there with my family a lot when I was a kid. I liked it. About three months ago I went searching for any part of it to still be there and it;s either a new church or a used car lot. The actual street address 226 S. Harbor Blvd. no longer exists.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 11:01 am   Permalink

Here are some pictures of the color postcard from Kono Hawaii

I like the Luau Shack for cocktails.

Here is a close up of the original sign.

This is the back of the card

Good times, good times.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 12:51 pm   Permalink

Ah yes, I remember Kono Hawaii in Santa Ana--went there once or twice to dine with the family as a kid, although until now I don't think I realized it was "Kono" instead of "Kona."

Arthur Lyman also played there in the Seventies. In the mid-Eighties, for a short while just before it closed they started booking "adult-oriented" rock acts (always the sign a place is about to close), the kind of people who would play the Golden Bear in HB, and I seem to remember people like David Crosby playing there then.

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 4:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

for a short while just before it closed they started booking "adult-oriented" rock acts (always the sign a place is about to close),

Ain't that the truth!
Thats what they were doing at Sam's seafood before it got cool and became Kona, (with Tikiphile owners and managers)! I would say it got rescued! First comes the Jimmy Buffet and Cat Stevens, next comes the wreckingball followed by check cashing or starbucks!

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 5:36 pm   Permalink

<<for a short while just before it closed they started booking "adult-oriented" rock acts (always the sign a place is about to close), [/quote]
First comes the Jimmy Buffet and Cat Stevens, next comes the wreckingball followed by check cashing or starbucks! >>

LOL...yea....depending on the neighborhood....Check Cashing places are never a good sign for the direction your neighborhood is going...Starbucks, on the other hand....at least you know the neighborhood is doing ok.

I'll take the Starbucks, but I'd rather have the old Tiki joint, of course

This place looked amazing. I love the mixture of Asian and Tiki....PERFECT !

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-08-20 17:38 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
David

Posted: 2008-08-21 06:01 am   Permalink

Looks like an amazing place, sad that it has been closed.

View Profile of David Send a personal message to David      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-29 3:43 pm   Permalink

Here is a matchbook from the old Kono Hawaii Restaurant.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-29 5:06 pm   Permalink

My family used to go to Kono Hawaii often. I even remember seeing Hawaii's version of Kool and the Gang, The Krush there as a teen. Later, I even saw punky glam rock band, Jetboy- that was a strange show.
Now, if I'd only picked up some mugs. I've asked my dad if he had any, but no luck!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-29 6:44 pm   Permalink

I remember Jetboy.

They tried to sound like AC DC, and had a singer with a Mohawk....

Glam in a Tiki Place...awesome !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-30 01:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-20 16:31, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

for a short while just before it closed they started booking "adult-oriented" rock acts (always the sign a place is about to close),

Ain't that the truth!
Thats what they were doing at Sam's seafood before it got cool and became Kona, (with Tikiphile owners and managers)! I would say it got rescued! First comes the Jimmy Buffet and Cat Stevens, next comes the wreckingball followed by check cashing or starbucks!

sorry for off topic but.
There are alot of horrible 60's 70's 80;s singer guys still playing at KOna,(Sam's Seafood) guys. you must not be going often enough to see them,
its horrendous.
my buddy Jim from the 60's surf band the Nocturnes even plays sax with one of the guys on sun nites.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation