FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvers....Advice on sharpening strops please.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Carvers....Advice on sharpening strops please.
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-23 4:11 pm   Permalink

Hello to all of you tiki carvers. I found only one post that discussed this briefly. That was by Lake Surfer who said he has been using a "power strop". What do the rest of you use to keep the chisels sharp after you finish with the stones???
I would like to know if it is just an old barbers' strop or something else??? And also, what kind of polishing compound is best?? I have lots of uncertainty so I figured I'd ask the experts here on TC.
Let us hear what you prefer. Thanks!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-23 5:19 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-23 5:31 pm   Permalink

Hello 8ft,
Years ago I used Sandpaper to sharpen all my chisels and goughes. I still use the same method and It works fine for me. I have a clipboard with 1/2 sheets of paper from 220 up to 2000 grit
The grits are 220,320,400, 600,800,1000,1200,1500 and 2000 and placed on the clipboard in that order.
Just start with the 220 (or400 depending on how bad the edge is)Slide the chisel over the grit until any nicks are gone and the edge is nice and flat and evenly shaped. Move on to the next grit and then the next until you get through all the grits. you should end up with a Razor sharp,mirrored finish. It only takes a few minutes per blade. Sometimes you can start with the 1000 grit, but remember you can Polish a dull blade and it will still be dull.
I always thought this was quick and easy, required no power or pastes to forget which strop they went on.
Hope this helps

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-23 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, that was my next question.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-23 6:37 pm   Permalink

The sandpaper technique is great for chisels of all shapes and is cheap as well! You might also check out this special paper from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=33004&category=1

It's made from mylar to resist tearing, and comes with a self-adhesive backing (PSA) if you want to stick it down to flat or curved surfaces.

There's a link on the page labeled "Tech" that has a brief description of how to use the sheets.

I don't personally use it, but my Dad keeps his turning chisels tip-top with it.

Also, there's lots of other good stuff at Lee Valley for woodworking, if you don't know it.

[ This Message was edited by: makemake on 2004-04-23 18:38 ]

View Profile of makemake Send a personal message to makemake      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-23 6:59 pm   Permalink

Sandpaper.......THAT'S GENIOUS BEN!
I would have never thought of that.
Now let me clarify something. (It seems Raffertiki is also interested in the topic and perhaps others are as well.)
SO, I wonder, do you use the sandpaper instead of sharpening stones OR is the paper step done AFTER the stones?
I have a bunch of various grit sand papers I got with some of my Grandfathers tools after his passing. I thought I would never find a use for them.

Makemake, thanks for the link to Lee Valley.
They have some great stuff!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-23 7:25 pm   Permalink

I don't use stones.
I have the stack of 9 sheets sized 8 1/2 by5 1/2 ( 1 large sheet cut in half) arranged on the Clipboard with the 220 on the bottom and the 2000 on top.
Just start with the 220 and Rub the chisel edge flat across the sheet several times until the edge is sharp and has no nicks.(after a few times you will develop a skill and will know how to rub the edge on the paper) If you can imagine the Sharpened edge of the chisel with a coat of rust. You hold the chisel with the edge flat on the paper and rub it back and forth to remove the rust in an Evenway, so that the whole edge comes in contact with the abrasive.
Here is another link with a little better prices but without the adhesive.The Sampler package comes with grits from 150 thru 2000. If you want a higher mirror you can get the Micro-Mesh grits 2400,3200,3600,4000,6000,8000 and 12000, but unless you are doing Super fine work it is just overkill.
I know it is a long way away but at this years Hukilau, I will demonstrate the sandpaper method to anyone who asks.

makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-23 9:04 pm   Permalink

There's probably as many ways to sharpen chisels as there are carvers. I dig Benzart's clipboard suggestion-- its fast and well-organized. Everything's in one place, and with the right clipboard, you could hang it on a hook in your shop. Very cool.

Anyway, here's an in-depth article that covers three techniques for sharpening chisels-- two with stones and a different technique for sandpaper. It's totally enough to get started:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00003.asp

View Profile of makemake Send a personal message to makemake      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-24 12:16 am   Permalink

I've got two diamond stones and two regular stones... but I find if I strop the edges and don't drop them or chip them they're sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm...

Sandpaper... strop... whatever works best for you...

The power strop on a drill takes about 10 seconds for me... nice and quick... the kit retails for $20

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-04-24 00:18 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-24 07:08 am   Permalink

Makemake, that was a great article on sharpening, Thanks for finding and posting it. I'm sure all we carvers can get use from it.
LakeSurfer, I have power strops and rubberized wheels ZI use sometimes too, but I always go back to the paper cause of the speed.
Like the guy says "Diffrent strokes for different folks.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 11:17 am   Permalink

A Friend just gave me the DVD by Edward Ellenwood and it is outstanding. This is a Very Detailed video explaining the different Grits, Standing positions, how to hold the tools, how to sharpen Knives, Gouges/Veinirs, Flat chisels, V-tools and Micro tools. Mr Ellenwood shows and explains in such a way that is not boreing how to sharpen each type of tool. He explains very thoroughly,step by step and you will find yourself wanting to sharpen right along with him. He uses stones and Sandpaper ending with a simple strop of leather OR Cardboard. He makes good sense.
I see it available in a Mountain Woodcarvers Catalog but can't find it on their website. their phone is 800-292-6788.
Or available here
http://www.marniewhillock.com/sharp-10.html

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-05-16 11:21 ]

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-16 1:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the links everybody.

Up until now I've been using my Dremel tool with a grinding/sharpening attachment for the chisels. This works well for me and is fast - like Lakesurfers.

I think I might try the sandpaper technique and see how that goes and order that video too. That looks to be an invaluable asset.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 4:12 pm   Permalink

Well, I promise I thought I knew how to sharpen my chisels before. The video really showed me a Lot and confirmed some I already knew. You are right .This video will be a valuable asset to Any woodcarver, Especially the beginner who has not learned bad habits yet.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-28 4:08 pm   Permalink

Seems like a good time to bring this up since I KNOW there are many Tools out there in dire need of sharpening.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-28 10:44 pm   Permalink

Hmmmmm...Fascinating subject. After 2 wood tikis and no sharpening, I'm in dire need. I just ordered a new Flexcut 6 chisel set to replace my flat Stanleys so this post is perfect timing.

Quote:

On 2004-04-24 00:16, Lake Surfer wrote:

The power strop on a drill takes about 10 seconds for me... nice and quick... the kit retails for $20

Lake, do you know the mfr or have a link perhaps?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ben, that sounds like a great video - I just might have to check that out

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation