Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Cheap Plastic Tiki @ Big Lots
Cheap Plastic Tiki @ Big Lots
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-24 12:11 am   Permalink

Got a call yesterday from a freind who says "They Got Tiki Stuff at Big Lots." So I go and check it out, right? Yeah they got "Tiki Stuff" but it's all Plastic.

Not that Plastic is Bad or anything, but... What they've got is Inflatable Tiki Totems, Acrylic Hurricane Glasses with Tikis printed on 'em, Plastic Tiki Tumblers (good for sippin' orange or grapefruit juice from on the deck in June, I suppose... maybe), Tiki Lamps and Tropical Swizzle Sticks.

These items appeared to be of the "Made For Sale at Big Lots" variety as opposed to the "Made For Sale At Expensive Department Stores and, Unfortunately, For Sale at Big Lots" variety. I, of course, prefer the former, being the Huge Fan of Honesty that I am.

Anyhow... The Swizzle Sticks are pretty cool! I haven't measured them with a ruler but I have found that that they are long enough to poke from the top of most Tiki Farm mugs. In a set of 20 (for only $1.99) you get 5 Tikis, 5 Palm Trees, 5 Unidentifiable Flowers, and 5 Flamingos. Not very useful for most Tiki Bars but for the fact that the 5 Tikis are pretty cool.

They also have Tiki Lights! Really Large (Considering...) Patio Lights shaped and "painted" like tikis. These are, actually, pretty cool. Check 'em out.

Also... Everyone needs to shop at T.J.Maxx, Marshall's, Ross. I've checked them all out lately. Haven't bought anything, but have noticed that they have some pretty serious Tiki Stuff these days.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-25 08:08 am   Permalink

Yep, scored a set of Tiki lights at Big Lots yesterday. They have the larger lamps so put out an exceptional amount of light.

View Profile of rocky Send a personal message to rocky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-25 9:28 pm   Permalink

Here's a previous thread with pics of the swizzles:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8600&forum=5&6

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-25 08:08, rocky wrote:
Yep, scored a set of Tiki lights at Big Lots yesterday. They have the larger lamps so put out an exceptional amount of light.

I got some, too, although diappointingly my Big Lots didn't have the tiki candles.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
k'eli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-04 1:23 pm   Permalink

Another place I have found it the 99 cent store (at times) - but also don't forget to check out your local Salvation Army and/or Goodwill stores - it is amazing what can be found (i.e., hawaiian shirts, lamps, etc.) no guarantee, but do keep those in mind.

View Profile of k'eli Send a personal message to k'eli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation