FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Any Info On This Mug?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Any Info On This Mug?
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-24 7:16 pm   Permalink

No markings on it, seems to be a red clay with a brown glaze, about 9" tall.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-24 11:04 pm   Permalink

Bongo, in this case the often wrongly used e-bay description "ceramic vase" seems to be appropriate. Never seen a mug in that shape, not even among the Spanish fleet.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-25 11:41 am   Permalink

Dang, that is funky! I dig it!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-25 11:41 am   Permalink

Dang, that is funky! I dig it!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 02:55 am   Permalink

Just a guess, but it might well have come from Trader Vic's Mexican restaurants - Senor Pico's?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 12:15 pm   Permalink

Dug through my tiki archives and found some info on this one. The tall vase was originally sold with a wooden holder to stabilize it (see top row in photo below). It appears to have been part of a larger line of products of same style. Notice the facial feature similarities in the tall mug, short mug, teapot, and S&P shakers (see bottom row in photo). As you can see, the tall mug was also used at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona. All these came in a variety of colors. Several items had a decal on the bottom labeled "Tahiji". I assume that is the maker. Personally it doesn't look all that tiki to me...but the label says it's a tiki mug, so it must be.

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: ModMana on 2004-04-26 12:15 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 12:27 pm   Permalink

I thought it looked like a beer bong.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-26 1:57 pm   Permalink

Hey Modmana,

I've got those salt & peppers. Glad to finally know what they are. Thanks.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 3:53 pm   Permalink

TAHIJI!?? ...and I thought I'd seen it all!
Hey, then those must be FIKI mugs!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-26 8:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Modmana.......I was hoping it was some kind of "tiki" mug as this is only the 3rd mug I have found locally in 8 years of searching. Everything else has been out of our area or on ebay. I agree it is not very tiki, looks like a clown with a big hat.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CowboyMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-26 8:54 pm   Permalink

I have the squat mug with the handle in both a tan and green glaze. It's an incredibly light porcelain and feels very shoddy.

View Profile of CowboyMike Send a personal message to CowboyMike  Email CowboyMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 01:34 am   Permalink

Bongofury, it may not look all that tiki but I still like it and I would've been happy to have been the one to find your mug. FYI, the tall 3 vases in my photo above (like yours) sold on eBay for $150 for the most expensive and $80 for the least expensive. I assume you paid less than that. Good score!

A little more info...I've seen other pieces in this style such as an even shorter coffee cup. Also, there is another Japanese manufacturer called Quon Quon who may be related to Tahiji somehow. Many of their mugs feature the exact same handle detail as well as other telling characteristics. OK, that's probably too much information now....my geekiness is showing.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 05:07 am   Permalink

Just to add my geek factor in, this is the same design on one of the vintage hibachis that shows up on ebay from time-to-time. Usually sells for a hefty price.

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-27 06:43 am   Permalink

To geek the lot of ya, is this style of mug possibly related to the Brit-tiki holly grails, mugs used in the "beachcomber" (london).

[ This Message was edited by: atomictonytiki on 2004-04-27 06:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 06:38 ]

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-27 7:57 pm   Permalink

Don't get me wrong......I do like it. Funky Tiki is better than no Tiki.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation