[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hilton Hotel San Diego
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hilton Hotel San Diego
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 12:54 pm   Permalink

I borrowed some photos from a friend - I originally thought this was Sea World - but couldn't place the building. It didn't look like the Hawaiian Punch Village. Now I know why! On the back it reads:

Hilton Hotel, San Diego. Sept. '79

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 12:58 pm   Permalink

Hi Tangaroa,
Have you heard, are the tikis still there?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 1:04 pm   Permalink

Sadly, I am deficient tiki lore outside of he amusement park realm... Anybody else know? Sven or Sabu...?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-26 1:20 pm   Permalink

Nice find, Tangaroa!

I didn't know about these tikis - but I'll sure be looking for postcards now. Maybe one of the San Diego locals could investigate. Alnshely? I'm assuming this is the Hilton next door to Sea World at 1775 East Mission Bay Drive, although I believe there are others in San Diego.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 3:33 pm   Permalink

That's the very same Mission Bay Inn that was built by Del Webb that was the location for that Jerry Lewis movie that had the masks like the Kon Tiki Hotel in Phoenix that I showed you in my files, Tangaroa.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 4:53 pm   Permalink

Whew!

"The circle of liiiiife....."

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-26 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-26 15:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's the very same Mission Bay Inn that was built by Del Webb that was the location for that Jerry Lewis movie that had the masks like the Kon Tiki Hotel in Phoenix that I showed you in my files, Tangaroa.

Was it this place?

Don't know the date that Eli decorated it but the phone # is "Browning 6-4010 .

He also did Kamia Village in the middle (Sven,Otto & Kevin have been there and done that).

Villa Samoa, need to research more. He did mega stuff back then.

The page I have is all glued together so pulling it apart is a drag.

I'll post more of Eli's Portfolio in the near future.

-----------------
Ona and Al!! Score!! Muchos Mahlos!

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-04-26 21:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-04-26 21:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-04-26 21:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-04-26 21:33 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-27 12:55 am   Permalink

Yup, Del Webb's Ocean House. Had (still has?) the Jolly Roger restaurant in form of a ship's prow, a huge Island life mural on a wall at the beach, those Ku Tikis all around the pool, and stuff...it's now totally de-tikified.

Villa Samoa Apartments is still there also, the sign in the same typeface, but only two Tikis left holding up the A-frame poolhut

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-28 12:10 am   Permalink

cOOl!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 07:55 am   Permalink

The San Diego Hilton on Mission Bay Drive is now Tiki free. I walked the grounds & searched lobby & hallway areas without finding any. There's a mural showing Hawaiian/Polynesian folk scenes around one of the pools, but that's it.

It looks like the resort has been turned into some kind of Timeshare deal & is no longer a Hotel.

Edit: I'll try to check out the Mission Bay Inn on Clairmont Blvd. between Morena Blvd. & Denver St. later, but it looks to be decorated as a standard Spanish Colonial knockoff.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-07-14 08:12 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-10 4:55 pm   Permalink

Here are some pictures from a brochure.......

I will try to post some images from "The Big Mouth" that shows some great tikis from the resort.....there are also some good scenes from a newly opened Sea World.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-11 07:23 am   Permalink

I'd love to see that - I still haven't seen 'The Big Mouth' yet...

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-24 6:02 pm   Permalink

Some more pics of Del Webb's OceanHouse from the Jan 1963 issue of SUNSET magazine:

A close-up where you can just make out those three giant Ku's near the pool:

Inside one of the rooms:

The Jolly Roger Cocktail Lounge:

According to the ad, Architects for the OceanHouse were: Martin Stern Jr., AIA, Architect & Associates; Leon Glucksman, AIA, Assoc.; Benton Charlses Severson, Assoc.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-05-24 18:05 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 11:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-24 18:02, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
A close-up where you can just make out those three giant Ku's near the pool:

...and you can clearly identify the lattice work on which Jerry Lewis is crawling in "The Big Mouth", which in the film held those tres Tiki Modern Kon-Tiki Phoenix/Tropics Lounge Wichita masks....

...their origin being an enduring mystery which I wrote about here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17576&forum=1

The A-frame beds are a classic, too, of course, the only other example of them I have seen was at the Miami Hawaiian Isle. Next I want to see images (vintage and current) of that Hilton's giant beach-side Polynesian mural, please!

Daves Not Home
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 09:27 am   Permalink

I can't really give any history or background to this; but when I was little (early - late 70's) I used to ride my bike past this place 3-4 times a week. You can see, in red, the bike/walk path that still runs along the bay today. Maybe one of the locals can take an updated pic?

View Profile of Daves Not Home Send a personal message to Daves Not Home  Goto the website of Daves Not Home     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation