Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Hilton Hotel San Diego
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hilton Hotel San Diego
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 07:55, freddiefreelance wrote:
The San Diego Hilton on Mission Bay Drive is now Tiki free. I walked the grounds & searched lobby & hallway areas without finding any. There's a mural showing Hawaiian/Polynesian folk scenes around one of the pools, but that's it.

As of this weekend that mural is also gone. I walk the bay a few times a week using the bike path and they have been re-doing the pool area for a few months. I noticed yesterday that the mural has been destroyed.

[ This Message was edited by: catmomma 2008-05-27 11:31 ]

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 2:57 pm   Permalink

That is really sad, one would think that (if for no other reason) the powers that be would have seen that they had a for real work of art in their possession and choose to spare it.

On the other hand the mural matched nothing else in that awful place, their “Banana Cabana” place out back says it all, ugly soulless crap, that’s all this generation gets or wants.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 8:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bosko, at least there is a picture of it here now. I remember it being very long, and wasn't it scratched into the concrete?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 9:29 pm   Permalink

yes it was probably 50 feet long and was etched into the concrete with just a little bit of color tint here and there. Lots of detail. I was very sad to see it was gone yesterday. I have walked by it hundreds of times

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 1:12 pm   Permalink

I picked up a few postcards and a brochure from Del Webb's Ocean House.

The first card is a nice rendering that looked strangely familiar....

That's because the architect for the Ocean House was Martin Stern who also designed the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel in Mauai that sported this postcard posted by Uncle Trav (he also did the Kuilima Hotel for Del Webb which has a new post on Locating Tiki).

Obviously the same artist.

The second card is a night shot.

It looks like the two of the three Ku statues shown in the previous photos have been moved to flank the entrance of the pool area. There also appear to be Tiki masks on the wall of the pool area.

Here is a rendering of the Ku Tikis from the brochure.

Will post more of the brochure later.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 09:27 am   Permalink

A few more images from the brochure I have.

Two more of the hotel rooms, looks like some Tiki lamps, peacock chairs and bamboo trim were in play here (not to mention colors).

Purple Room

Orange Room

The third Ku Tiki gets its own little spot with a Tiki torch.

A huge ship's mural in the conference center

I swear those are Tiki curtains.

DC

(Seems like this thread should be moved to Locating Tiki)

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-28 10:53 am   Permalink

Here are some nice old photos from Del Webb's Ocean House that Tiki Shaker told me about on ebay.

Cool shot of the pool and adjacent rec building.

You can see the Tiki masks on the fence from the Big Mouth movie.

A different Tiki next to the building with an outrigger on the roof.

The three Ku Tikis.

The Jolly Roger Lounge.

The cool ship's bow building.

And a matchbook.

Cool Tiki place from San Diego's past. I hope Tiki Shaker got the photos.

DC

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-28 10:25 pm   Permalink

When I was a kid, I lived on Rosecrans and hung out in OB and on Shelter Island. Didn't make it over to Mission Beach too much so totally missed this awesome place. Certainly ironic that I now live North of Sacramento in a Del Webb community...and not a Tiki in sight (except in my lounge).

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation