[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Johnston Island
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Johnston Island
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-08-23 2:26 pm   Permalink

This morning I was in the local 7-11 refilling my tiki coffee mug with coffee (Hawaiian Nut of course!) when I noticed a fellow re-filler with a tank top on that read 'Johnston Island Tiki Lounge - Coldest Mai Tais in 800 Miles'.

Well, needless to tell you all, I had to inquire as to the whereabouts of said Johnston Island Tiki Lounge. Low and behold it's on Johnston Island which lies 800 from Hawaii (not sure as to direction).

I told him I was a member of Tiki Central and we had an interesting obsession with all things tiki, of which bar is but one.

He had a sort of inquisitive smile and then told me he was from Johnston Isle, and to come out to his van as he would give me the shirt.

He quite literally gave me the shirt off his back!

Since then I've been thinking to myself 'One day I've got to go to Johnston Island, if the people there are as nice as this guy, this could be a great vacation spot'.

2 things: 1) has anyone heard of Johnston Island, and 2) did you know that when you go to 7-11 you should take some of those long Slurpee straws for future bowl drinks!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-23 2:51 pm   Permalink

This is literally the shirt off my back...Snap!

What are the odds?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-23 3:48 pm   Permalink

Lucky sum'bitches....

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cuisson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-23 4:10 pm   Permalink

There's a Johnston Island south of Hawaii but it's the one that's been used for storing Chemical poisons. It's also suffered nuclear pollution in the past from an accident. There was some talk of storing some of the plutonium that's cluttering up many states from the nuclear plants on Johnston. Don't know about visiting a Tiki bar there. Someone may have been joking.

View Profile of Cuisson Send a personal message to Cuisson  Email Cuisson Goto the website of Cuisson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-23 4:42 pm   Permalink

Even nuclear power plant workers need a drink every once in a while. In fact, probably more than most. (I'm thinking Simpsons here...)

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 10:19 am   Permalink

Bong, I actually have been to Johnston atoll about 8-9 times....it is the coolest yet wierdest place in the world!

There are about 300 people who live there a year at a time, mostly chemical and military police...we were told to have our gas masks ready at all times, and were not allowed to bring cameras off the boat. I really don't know what they are up to, but it is something secret!

We hauled dirt and soil out there, to build it up, since it only has an elevation of about 2 feet!

During the 50's, nuclear weapons were blown up high in the stratosphere, and devices were on the atoll to measure the effects..they also monitored the apollo and gemini and mercury space flights as well from there...

I actually went to the tiki bar there (it's one of three on the small island) and it was super cool to drink a mai-tai and looked out at the sunset at 1000 miles of nothing!!!

The few women we had with us were mobbed by the horny guys who lived there...!!!

There are a few rich civilians that were living there, taking part time jobs in the cafeteria or bar..ect...just so that they could live in this crazy but cool place!

I remember seeing manta rays in the water and reefs surrounding the place..and man, it was hot and humid!!!

I got more sunburned then I ever have before, and I only sat by the pool for about an hour!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 10:36 am   Permalink

Here is a website with some photos.

http://chiana.trvnet.net/~rockymtn/

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-02 10:36, Unga Bunga wrote:
Here is a website with some photos.

http://chiana.trvnet.net/~rockymtn/

Thanks for those great Pix!!

That bar (the waikiki) on the "aloha" website, with the cement berm for a "beach" is exactly where I got really hammered!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 10:55 am   Permalink

How cool! That sounds like a plot for a script or a novel: A Tiki Bar on a tropical atoll that was used for nuclear testing, where one has have gas masks on the belt in case the "weather" changes.
The Tiki bar should be under a sunken glass bubble that covers it in case of emergency, preserving the tropical biosphere in a microcosm.
Sorta an extreme version of what Tiki bars in urban America were (and are now), emotional bomb shelters of the Atomic Age.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

Sorta an extreme version of what Tiki bars in urban America were (and are now), emotional bomb shelters of the Atomic Age.

THat is so true Sven!!!

makes me think about that Brendan Frasier movie about the family living in the 50's era bomb shelter, only to emerge in the here and now!! Those people were keepers of a sacred knowledge...the knowledge of how good things USED to be, compared to the drab existence we lead today!!!!

"emotional bomb shelters of the atomic age"

Can I use that for the smokin' menehune's next album title?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 5:32 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-04-02 11:38, tiki mick wrote:
Quote:

"emotional bomb shelters of the atomic age"

Can I use that for the smokin' menehune's next album title?

Hey wait a minute, I just came up with that, and I like my own baby...

But hey, considering that it was INSPIRED by a post of a band member, go ahead, just credit me accordingly. I'll be honored, and it will still be mine...

Bong, you must now have maybe not the prettiest, but definitely the hardest to get Tiki T-shirt on this planet! And how cool of the guy to understand the fact that YOU would be worthy, and part with it! Kind of restores my faith in humanity.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 9:30 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-07-23 22:11 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 12:18 am   Permalink

"The Island is now in closure and will be turned back over to the Dept. of Wildlife Jan.2004. As far as I know the runway will remain, but no services will be available. They are only going to leave about 5 buildings for just a few people to use for research. eventually you will only be able to get there by boat. "

wow how interesting- theyre tearing the whole place down, covering it with sand and giving it back to the wildlife dept- check out the pics on the newer site:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7emarkinthepacific/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2004-04-03 00:29 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 12:37 am   Permalink

well, here's the place-

This page has a picture of "The Tiki- The Coldest Beer for 800 Miles. "

http://home.earthlink.net/%7emarkinthepacific/id3.html

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-03 01:05 am   Permalink

uh-oh...

http://www.johnstonatoll-pacific.us/site.php?section=about

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation