FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » How about TIKI Oasis 2005 on a different weekend??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
How about TIKI Oasis 2005 on a different weekend??
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 4:10 pm   Permalink

The last two years in a row the Oasis has been held on Mother's Day weekend. This poses an attendence problem for some and an impossibility for me to attend. I was wondering how many would prefer to have the Oasis on a different weekend. How many don't care. How many hate their mothers ans love it as it is (joking about the mother comment). I posted this in the main forum to get the maximum exposure. Thanks for your input--Mr Frowny says I hope you all have bad hangovers on Mother's Day!!! just kidding....I think...
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 4:15 pm   Permalink

I wouldnt mind it being on other weekend. But whatever easiest for Otto.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 4:15 pm   Permalink

This definitely has come up before, as it's certainly not the most ideal weekend for a lot of folks. If I recall correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the reason it's Mother's Day weekends is precisely because it's an unpopular weekend -- the hotel is not super-busy that weekend, allowing Otto & Baby Doe to cut a deal with the Caliente Tropics that lets them keep the Oasis ticket prices & vendor fees as low as possible and still break even. If it weren't that weekend, it would have to happen during the blisteringly hot off-season, and no one would want to come out of their rooms.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 4:19 pm   Permalink

PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE go back to having it in the summer!!!

I know about the off-season Mother's Day weekend rates blah blah, but just the fact alone that it's too cool at night in early May to dive in the pool for the Dive-In Movie should be reason enough!!

There are NO Tiki events in the summer, gang! NONE! Hukilau last year was the only one, and there are none this year. Lots of us are students, teachers (moi), or parents of students, and mid-school-year weekends are NOT easy. I would love to go back to Oasis this year, but the last month of school is almost impossible to miss. I can't even go to the Grand opening of Hale Tiki because it's graduation weekend, and I cannot be gone.

Pleeeeeze! The Caliente Tropics is cheap(er) all summer, too, NOT just on Mother's Day weekend.

Addition (after posting this and then reading Humuhumu's point about the blistering heat). Yes, it was very hot by day in the summer 2 years ago, but we stayed in the pool the whole time anyway, or napped off the latenight fun. The weather was divine at night, sundresses withOUT wraps (or a whole lotta 'nuthin' after the pool closed ). I love being able to swim at night; the keep-the-floats-in-the-air game after the movie was my second favorite Oasis moment, next to the uke fest in alnshely's room.

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2004-04-29 16:26 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 16:19, Formikahini wrote:
There are NO Tiki events in the summer, gang!

'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August?

My mom said she would, "take my Grog Log and shove it up my mai tai" if I missed her day.
I don't know about you, but that wouldn’t be no luau.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-29 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 16:45, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

Last year the Exotica event in Chicago was in the summer as well.

I would rather have the Oasis at any time other than the summer because it's too unbearably hot then. That, and summer is my least favorite time to travel as every place is more crowded with tourists.

I can't go either, but not because it's on Mothers Day.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-29 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 16:54, thejab wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Last year the Exotica event in Chicago was in the summer as well.

I would rather have the Oasis at any time other than the summer because it's too unbearably hot then. That, and summer is my least favorite time to travel as every place is more crowded with tourists.

I can't go either, but not because it's on Mothers Day.

thejab is not allowed out in the heat of summer because the pomade would melt.

Portland Tiki Crawl is in the summer as well.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 5:17 pm   Permalink

I, too, am unable to attend on Mother's Day weekend. I certainly understand about the price issue; however, the heat would not bother me. Possibly, it should be moved once and see how it works out.

On the other hand, I suppose it is working out just fine now.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 5:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

There are NO Tiki events in the summer, gang! NONE!

Say WHAT?? NO tiki events?? Maybe nuthin' in your neck of the woods, but in the land of the Hoity Toitys there were so many things going on last summer that I was lucky I announced my party more than 2 months in advance - the rest of the weekdnds were filled already! Seriously, there was stuff happening literally EVERY weeekend (and some weekdays too!) - don't believe me? Go SugarCaddyDaddy's "Hoity Toity" schedule and back up the calendar to any time last summer. (In fact, I'll be darned if July 22 doesn't say: Miss Formikahini arrives in So. Cal.! I remember your time here was an event unto itself!)

No tiki events in the summer... sheesh...

Oh, but we could move Oasis, so I don't have to worry about my Mom threatening to come with me every year...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 6:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 17:17, christiki295 wrote:
I, too, am unable to attend on Mother's Day weekend. I certainly understand about the price issue; however, the heat would not bother me. Possibly, it should be moved once and see how it works out.

On the other hand, I suppose it is working out just fine now.

But, "It's a DRY HEAT!!". I know of no one dying the second year when it was in June (?). And the dive in movie temperature was PURRRRFECT! Besides, that is what Air conditioning is for-hot weather. Now that I know that I can NEVER go again to an Oasis on Mother's day is going to make my missing this one even harder. My suggestion (at the minimum) is that at least the event alternates years between Mothers Day and some other weekend. Mothers Day is working out fine -for some. Not every one can ever be accommadated, but a little variety in scheduling helps give everyone a chance to experience the Caliente Tropics experience at its best!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If it weren't that weekend, it would have to happen during the blisteringly hot off-season, and no one would want to come out of their rooms.

I don't remember any lack of people hanging out when I went the second year because of the heat. Everyone looked like they were having a blast.

mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE go back to having it in the summer!!!

I know about the off-season Mother's Day weekend rates blah blah, but just the fact alone that it's too cool at night in early May to dive in the pool for the Dive-In Movie should be reason enough!!

Pleeeeeze! The Caliente Tropics is cheap(er) all summer, too, NOT just on Mother's Day weekend.

Addition (after posting this and then reading Humuhumu's point about the blistering heat). Yes, it was very hot by day in the summer 2 years ago, but we stayed in the pool the whole time anyway, or napped off the latenight fun. The weather was divine at night, sundresses withOUT wraps (or a whole lotta 'nuthin' after the pool closed ). I love being able to swim at night; the keep-the-floats-in-the-air game after the movie was my second favorite Oasis moment, next to the uke fest in alnshely's room.

Now you must forgive Formakihini for forgetting about going to Chicago last year-she works awfully hard as a school teacher. I am not a person who enjoys the heat, but I found it to be fine because I was RELAXING--I wasn't building a house or laying down blacktop! I was holding a cool drink in my hand. Not a bad way to spend the day.

DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:00 pm   Permalink

Not that our votes count....I vote for a different weekend too. Bring on the Blaze! I love the Desert in the summertime! The hotter the better! Sizzzle, Sizzzle, Sizzle!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:02 pm   Permalink

Actually, to refresh everyone's memory, it was Otto with the suggestion of BigBroTiki, that started the Mother's Day/Oasis Weekend thingy (see comments from 8/22/02, 8/26/02 ). BigBro was not able to be at last years Oasis, and to my recollection, he will not be at this years either. I believe the majority will have to show a voting of not being able/wanting to go to Oasis next year on Mother's Day again.

There are comments from the past in reference to Mother's Day weekend not being the best for them ( comments from me included ), and I have heard directly from other TC'ers that were actually at the event just for the day that it was kind of a hassle for them since they had to do a "day trip" to Oasis since they had Mother's Day plans and just came out for a few hours.

Not that anyone would really care, but I have already talked with the family about this being my last Mother's Day/Oasis weekend since I personally have a wife, a mother, two grandmothers, a mother-in-law, a stepmom and a great grandmother that have to give up their weekend basically for me.

I simply can't do that again.

I will inform BabyDoe & Otto about my not being able to attend just so they know, but I don't really believe they know me from a hole in the wall. I suggest that if you truly cannot or will not do a Mother's Day weekend too, you will need to voice your opinion well before the next Oasis is scheduled. Don't say I didn't warn you!

As for the question as to whether or not anything goes on here in SoCal (aka Hoity Toityland), here is last years schedule. I literally had fellow TC'ers double checking with me to make sure that no other events were going on so that they could schedule their gathering:

June 2003

July 2003

August 2003

September 2003

By the end of the year it was actually quite nice to take a break from the tiki gatherings (believe it or not).

Yes, we are spoiled here.

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-04-29 19:03 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Quote:

My mom said she would, "take my Grog Log and shove it up my mai tai" if I missed her day.
I don't know about you, but that wouldn’t be no luau.

Is that the root of your screen name?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation