FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events How about TIKI Oasis 2005 on a different weekend??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
How about TIKI Oasis 2005 on a different weekend??
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:27 pm   Permalink

I can tell you, next year is already well in the planning stages. You may all be too late. And Tiki Oasis is sold out. So it may be for nothing to complain.

For us at Hukilau, we want to pick a date as far from Oasis as possible to make it easier for those who want to do both to be able.

But we also need to find a time when the hotel and everyone else will work with us. We also were not sure about Exotica. We were asked to sign a contract with the Holiday Inn on Sunday last year, right at the event.

Chances are, Oasis 2005 is already planned. It might not be, but likely is. And, since the event is succeeding on Mother's Day, it'll likely stay there.

As for Hukilau 2005, we have not got a date. Part of it depends of everything else going on. We also are planning a different venue than the Mai Kai for next year. But that all depends on this year. Hukilau is not a success yet, and could be a huge failure and we'd never do it again.

Bottom line is likely that as long as Oasis is doing well on Mother's Day, it will not change.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:31 pm   Permalink

sorry folks
this date is the last weekend of the off season which affords us the best weather (in the off season - you think its hot now, wait til summer hits!) and the best rate.

And please keep in mind that the original concept for this event was as a fund raiser for the hotel. Mothers day Weekend was their worst and now it is their best thanks to all of you guys

Casey loves you and gives us quite a bit of flexibility because it is off season.

If we moved it to a more desirable weekend it would not be as desirable for the hotel. And if we moved it to summer (first year was in Sept) it would be unbearably hot

[quote]
On 2004-04-29 16:19, Formikahini wrote:
PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE go back to having it in the summer!!!

I know about the off-season Mother's Day weekend rates blah blah,

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:55 pm   Permalink

Am I the only lucky duck whose mom lives in Sun City (right on my route from Palm Springs to San Diego). That combined with her superior talent for making Bloody Marys and a close place for champagne brunch makes for perfect timing (and she has a comfortable hammock for a little nap before the drive home!)

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-29 8:32 pm   Permalink

Our Moms live in different areas so we usually have to see one or the other on a non-Mothers Day anyway......so this time, Mrs. Fury's mom the weekend before and Bongo's mom the weekend after, phone calls to each from Caliente Tropics on THE day and we're all happy.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-29 8:58 pm   Permalink

I really, really, don't want to sound like a shit here, or cynical, or what not, but...it is, after all, just a Hallmark holiday. You can take your mom out for brunch any weekend of the year. In fact, you'll find that the brunch places are cheaper and less crowded on other sundays. In fact, mom will find it a pleasant surprise. Seriously, try it. Mine says she doesn't care, but I still get a little guilt. But it's real easy to make up by doing something unexpected and nice.

I know Mrs. Miley has to miss it for non-mother reasons, though, and I don't really have a solution for that, I'm afraid.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 9:08 pm   Permalink

Ok, now! My memory is NOT short gang (re: Exotica having been in the summer). It's a teacher/parent/student thing: if you're in one of those groups, when school starts, summer is officially OVER! I was already back at school when I told my administrators I was "going to a wedding in Chicago that happen[s] to be taking place during another one of those tiki festivals"! How else could I ask for a Friday off, right in the first month of school?

The only reason I did Oasis last year, and took the Friday off, was because I was asked to perform Friday night, and the band put the airfare on a credit card. Otherwise, that's a helluva lot of my own money to spend to fly into Palm Springs on a Friday and then turn around and fly home on Sunday. The year before I flew in and out of LAX and went on to spend a week or two up and down the coast, because it was summer, dangit! (It's a couple of hundred $ more to fly to and from Palm Springs than LAX or Chicago.)(My school was very sweet to indulge my request for non-necessary time off in order to sing.)

Now, don't get me wrong, I *LOVED* my time this past summer in California and plan to do it again this summer (mid-July), and every day/night did feel like an "event" to me, thanks to the WONderful TC ohana from San Diego to San Francisco. But parties in Hoity-Toityland aren't exactly national/international events, the way are Oasis, Hukilau, and Exotica. (The various crawls are probably approaching them, though, in scope.) International Tiki Day, by definition, isn't a gathering in one place of the tribes either, but rather the opposite.

So I'll keep my vote/begging in the move-Oasis-to-another-weekend pile. Surely the Tropics wouldn't hate a big money weekend in June or July, instead! And dangit, it IS a dry heat! If you lived in Swampland, USA, you'd have no problem either with Palm Springs in the summer!!

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2004-04-29 21:11 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 9:14 pm   Permalink

Many mothers have been conditioned to believe that this is the holiday that proves they are valued to their children.

And many children believe that as long as they go hog wild on mothers day that they are off the hook for the remainder of the year.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 9:48 pm   Permalink

In addition to installing puffer fish into glass balls I have also been working on a cloning device that will allow you to be two place at the same time. The unfortunate side effect is double post by the user clone when not attending separate events.

Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-30 08:47 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 9:48 pm   Permalink

In addition to installing puffer fish into glass balls I have also been working on a cloning device that will allow you to be two place at the same time. The unfortunate side effect is double post by the user clone when not attending separate events.

Chongolio Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-30 08:48 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:51 am   Permalink

A "dry" heat in September? It was torturously hot as hell. I had no problem at all with the evening temperatures in May, but then I have (unfortunately) a substantial quantity of subcutaneous insulation.
The May Oasis is not suffering from a lack of interest. Isn't the waiting list itself longer than the number of rooms available? May is a great time to hold this event. Everybody's mum is different, but I was fortunate in that mine didn't insist upon having "Mother's Day" on the specifically determined Hallmark date. She knew how much that weekend meant to me and wanted me to enjoy both. I say, keep it where it is.

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-04-30 01:02 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 01:10 am   Permalink

"It's all about the Tiki, man!!"

bitch, bitch, bitch. (aka blah, blah, blah!)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 01:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 01:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
"It's all about the Tiki, man!!"

bitch, bitch, bitch. (aka blah, blah, blah!)

http://www.audioautographs.com/tiki/blahblah.wav

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-04-30 09:03 am   Permalink

Hey! This tread sounds alot like the thread I did re: International Tiki Day at Sam's.

You must understand that Otto is planning a big, complex gig. You must think about all the pieces that go into a gig like T.O. to make it a fun event for you!

If you want to complain about this or that, then at least start your own Tiki Oasis-like gig to get an understanding on what it takes.

Be thankful you get to show up at Caliente Tropics, unload your stuff (not that stuff), and have a great time, without a care in the World!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 09:32 am   Permalink

Yes, it does take quite a bit of work to put a gig together. I know. I've done large large gatherings, conventions, private corporate functions, etc., and not just as an added feature or helper. I've done from concept to completion. It is alot of work.

From my point of view, I just say that if you want something to be (possibly) changed, then many have to be vocal about it...in a nice way. Not as a complaint. Just not showing up or saying "I can't make it" in a quick post won't let Otto know if you truly want something changed.

I highly doubt that the date will change. Mr.Smiley, I'm sure, was simply getting a feel for others thoughts, with the possible hopes of getting a majority to help change the date. I love you guys, but honestly, many ideas have come across TC, with truly only a handful of members that are both vocal and go-getters, and the rest as followers. With that in (my) mind, the date will most likely stay.

The actual change will most likely be on our part as individuals: adjusting our schedule(s) to be able to go to the next Oasis, or simply not making it to the next one in 2005 (which may possibly be the case for me).

Either way, the show will go on.

Blah, blah, blah.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 16:19, Formikahini wrote:
PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE go back to having it in the summer!!!
I know about the off-season Mother's Day weekend rates blah blah, but just the fact alone that it's too cool at night in early May to dive in the pool for the Dive-In Movie should be reason enough!!

HERE! HERE!
I CAN stand the heat in the day - but i CAN'T stand the cold at night...

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation