FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events How about TIKI Oasis 2005 on a different weekend??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
How about TIKI Oasis 2005 on a different weekend??
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 09:32, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:

I love you guys, but honestly, many ideas have come across TC, with truly only a handful of members that are both vocal and go-getters, and the rest as followers.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:34 am   Permalink

p.s. Crazy Al and I always have dreamed of an "Extreme Tiki Event" @ Caliente when it's like 110 degrees. Maybe our dream will come true one of these days.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 09:32, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
I've done large large gatherings, conventions, private corporate functions, etc., and not just as an added feature or helper. I've done from concept to completion. It is alot of work.

I love you guys,

Sugah',

Do you love us enough to set up a gig for us?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 10:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s. Crazy Al and I always have dreamed of an "Extreme Tiki Event" @ Caliente when it's like 110 degrees. Maybe our dream will come true one of these days.

Now Ben, isn't that a typo?
Didn't you mean to say, "Extremely Naked Tiki Event" @ Caliente?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 11:29 am   Permalink

Would it ever be a possibility to have a kid's night (with a cool babysitter) at Tiki Oasis? Then Tikiparents could come, too. Since I am fairly new to this community I did not find out about Tiki Oasis in time to go this year and would love to go next year, but I would find it hard to leave my daughter home on Mother's Day.

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-04-30 11:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 11:29, sparklegem wrote:
Would it ever be a possibility to have a kid's night

Believe me, every night is "kids" night!

Just kidding, actually the answer is no.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:33 pm   Permalink

Yes, Mother's Day has always been difficult for me too. Usually means we have to rush back Sunday afternoon for dinner and considering it's my only 2 days of vacation for the year where I actually get to go somewhere and get away from everything, well, it's kind of a bummer in the end.

Also, I too have a high tolerance for heat and would love to wear less in the evenings if it were warmer.

(Oh, but please don't make it anywhere near June 23 as that's Mom's birthday....I know...you just can't please everyone.)

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-30 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 12:33, vintagegirl wrote:
Yes, Mother's Day has always been difficult for me too. Usually means we have to rush back Sunday afternoon for dinner and considering it's my only 2 days of vacation for the year where I actually get to go somewhere and get away from everything, well, it's kind of a bummer in the end.

Also, I too have a high tolerance for heat and would love to wear less in the evenings if it were warmer.

(Oh, but please don't make it anywhere near June 23 as that's Mom's birthday....I know...you just can't please everyone.)

How about Father's Day?? --yes, I am kidding.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-04-30 5:25 pm   Permalink

OK-I am GENERALIZING here-so don't get offended. OK?? What I am seeing is running somewhat along these lines; I really want it changed, I don't want it changed, I don't care. Rather predictible. What saddens me is that the attitude of SOME of the people who DON'T want it changed is that it is no problem for them and they don't give a darn if others can NEVER make that weekend. In reality, it seems to me that alternating weekends every other year would be the best option to please most everyone. Don't be so self-thinking or insulated-wouldn't it be nice to see a few new faces some year that it isn't held on Mother's Day. Unless I win the Lotto, it looks like I will never ever be able to go to this great event. I HAVE to work that weekend for eternity. Well, sure, maybe ten years down the road I may not have to work that weekend, but maybe Otto will be tired of doing this by then. Those of us who can't make it are asking others to consider making a sacrifice and agreeing that an every other year schedule change to help accomodate your tiki pals. This may be all moot-maybe the powers that be will never change it for ANY reason-but at least we can suggest and TRY and see how it goes. I hope this doesn't sound like an angry rant-Mr. Smiley is doing his best not to sound like Mr A**hole.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-04-30 5:31 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-04-29 19:31, Otto wrote:
sorry folks
this date is the last weekend of the off season which affords us the best weather (in the off season - you think its hot now, wait til summer hits!) and the best rate.

And please keep in mind that the original concept for this event was as a fund raiser for the hotel. Mothers day Weekend was their worst and now it is their best thanks to all of you guys

Casey loves you and gives us quite a bit of flexibility because it is off season.

If we moved it to a more desirable weekend it would not be as desirable for the hotel. And if we moved it to summer (first year was in Sept) it would be unbearably hot

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 16:19, Formikahini wrote:
PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE go back to having it in the summer!!!

I know about the off-season Mother's Day weekend rates blah blah,

Well I just saw this --so all I can say is I tried. I will forever miss the fun I had at the second Oasis. Sorry you will never see me there, sorry I will never see you all there, I will miss you guys and Casey's fab place. Enjoy yourselves-I think I'll be too sad to look at the pictures. Mr. Frowny

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-04-30 5:35 pm   Permalink

Come June the rates at the Tropics drop considerably-some by 50%. Too bad the powers that be can't wait two weeks or so every other year to accomodate others. Sniff.

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-04-30 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 19:27, Swanky wrote:
And Tiki Oasis is sold out. So it may be for nothing to complain.

Bottom line is likely that as long as Oasis is doing well on Mother's Day, it will not change.

Granted, I would have to agree that there are some complaints in this thread, but I want to clarify that the original post of mine was not a complaint-it was a suggestion and an opening for a topic of discussion.
I feel that the Oasis would sell out almost any weekend except maybe Christmas. It is too popular and there are so many people who live realtively nearby in Southern California. Room 135 the second year was the clincher-every one wants to be a part of that!!

tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:14 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, here's another vote to move Oasis a wee bit away from Momma's Day.

Although that particular "Hallmark Holiday" is, sadly, no longer relevant for moi, I do sympathise thoroughly with those for whom it is very much an active concern. Since EVERYONE has--at least at some point in their life--a mother, seems to me that this is a little more of an problem than, for example, Arbor Day would be .

Personally speaking, any humongous Tiki Event from which MrSmiley and Formikahini are pretty much permanently exiled seems like, well, a mournfully less cool Tiki Event. That's just my two cocktail cherries, though...but one more thing.

Ahem. Since when do The Tiki Oasis Revelers NOT stay up all night partying and ONLY stagger forth in the harsh heat of the desert day to a. soak in the pool and b. thrift from the safety of their air-conditioned vehicles?? I mean, neither of those activities require a fresh and balmy spring weekend...and as Vintage Girl pointed out, the summer NIGHTS in PS are simply glorious.

Besides, moving it a mere week or two wouldn't make much difference in the weather anyway. Har.

I take Otto's point about Mother's Day being slow for the Tropics normally, and I love those guys, and it's excellent and admirable to do them a good turn...but still...there are some mitigating factors here. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more $$ to make the mothers of the Tiki World happy AND bring MrSmiley and Formikahini to Oasis.

There. I said it. XOXOXOX to you all!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 22:14, tikivixen wrote:
There. I said it. XOXOXOX to you all!

And well said I must admit, you "Tiki Of Viven".

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 11:28 pm   Permalink

Well said TikiVixen. And to follow your example, it's kinda like if Oasis were on Easter weekend. Since that's never been a big holiday in my family I wouldn't mind Oasis being on that date (although it would be a bit cooler than preferable). However, I'm sure there'd be many who wouldn't go because it's also known for being a big family holiday. (By the way, everyone has a mother, whereas, not everyone celebrates Easter.)

Also, I've wondered if Baby Doe might not want a Mother's Day weekend off too since she is a momma herself.

Oh well, I know the verdict has already been handed down so I guess I'm beating a dead horse.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation