[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Tales of the Gold Monkey
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tales of the Gold Monkey
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 08:07 am   Permalink

Now that Johnny $ has got me thinking about TV shows who remembers Tales of the Gold Monkey? It followed in the wake of the Indiana Jones phenomenon and involved a guy flying around in an amphibious plane and going on various adventures with his one eyed dog Jack! I still meet people today who think that the show never existed and that I imagined it all! But that was some great TV - exotic locales, adventure, one-eyed dogs, nazis getting their asses kicked -it had it all!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-30 08:11 am   Permalink

Ah yes, great show, but went wierd by the end of the series.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 08:20 am   Permalink

What do you mean "It went weird by the end of the series?" It was about an amphibious plane piloting adventurer/Soldier of Fortune with a 1 eyed dog, a wisecracking side kick, nazis, spies, a Samurai running a private army for the princess of a tiny atoll, guys in monkey suits, & Roddy McDowall as the owner of the titular bar! How do you get weird from that?

From
TV Tome:

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:02 am   Permalink

My favorite show of all time (aside from Young Indiana Jones).

Here's the official unofficail website:
http://www.goldmonkey.com/

You can even buy EVERY episode on DVD! (not the best quality, mind you, but where else are you gonna see it?)

There's a website for everything these days...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-30 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 08:20, freddiefreelance wrote:
How do you get weird from that?

Well the dog got its glass eye back that jake had lost in a poker game and then the dog didn't like him any more.
i admit that i was about nine at the time so my memories are a touch fuzzy

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:14 pm   Permalink

I used to love that show! I haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for the show & DVD links!

Kanaka

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:50 pm   Permalink

I tried to find a good shot of the interior of the Gold Monkey bar, this's the best I've come up with so far.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 3:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 10:02, Polynesiac wrote:
Here's the official unofficail website:
http://www.goldmonkey.com/

Ah, I remember writing to the girl who runs this site back in like 1998. She said that the series would never be on home video, so it is nice to see that she is now bootlegging it herself.

This show was so much fun, I loved it 20 years ago. Had a crush on Caitlin. Wonder where she is now? I wonder how well the show is holding up? Still cool or painfully cheezy? Guess I'll have to spring for the webmistress's intellectual-property-law- violating DVD set before she gets busted!

And hey, when is Hawaiian Eye coming to DVD...?

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 2:33 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-04-30 15:34, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

This show was so much fun, I loved it 20 years ago. Had a crush on Caitlin. Wonder where she is now?

Pushing her
Perfume line? She was "Snow White" in 1st season of "The Charmings," & was in "The Emperor's Club." It looks like she took the '90s off, probably for family.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-05-02 14:35 ]

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-07 12:48 pm   Permalink

Through a round about way that involved a Tommy Collins song I just learned about this show.

And I also just learned that Tales of the Gold Monkey, the entire one season series, is coming out on Region 1 DVD on June 8th. Now you know and you're summer will be perfeect.

A dog with an eye patch? I really wanna see this show.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-07 4:00 pm   Permalink

I don't remember this show but it sure looks interesting. That shot of the bar is quite intriguing. Is it worth buying the DVDs?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 1:08 pm   Permalink

I used to watch this show when i was a youngin'. I liked it as a child, and it reminded me of Stephen J Cannel works. The series was similar and almost a witches brew of shows like Riptide, A-Team, Baa Baa Blacksheep, Dukes of Hazzard, and Battlestar Gallactica all rolled into one.
Don Bellisario was the creator, and was a part of other leading 80s shows such as JAG, Quantum Leap, Magnum P.I. and Airwolf.

I seem to remember alot of corny comedy within this adventure show...I may just have a bad memory too! Looking forward to seeing it again.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 11:51 am   Permalink

I still have a flyer somewhere from Universal Studios that was promoting the show. Picked it up as a kid on a family trip. The flyer had the original title "Tales of the Brass Monkey" on it. Used to like the show - but kind of lost interest in it about halfway through its run. I also recall that old flyer touting the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" - with a picture of Phoebe Cates. I thought to myself as a young lad - now she looks interesting!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 2:12 pm   Permalink

man, we used to hit the bonger and watch this show. it was a pleasent trip into tropical fantasy. nice!

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 3:26 pm   Permalink

i think amazon has a place where you can petition to have old tv series released to dvd.
i remember filling one out for the first & second season of the wild wild west.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation