FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Tales of the Gold Monkey
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tales of the Gold Monkey
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-09 8:01 pm   Permalink

this is out on DVD now.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-12 08:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for the heads up!!!! I just ordered a copy from amazon....I can't wait to watch this show again!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 04:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-09 15:26, exquisitecorpse wrote:
i think amazon has a place where you can petition to have old tv series released to dvd.
i remember filling one out for the first & second season of the wild wild west.

www.tvondvd.com is the site for that but Golden Monkey is out already. I love Shout Factory. (The people who put it out, not to mention two of my favorite shows McHale's Navy and Code Monkeys)

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-10 7:18 pm   Permalink

Woah! I gotta visit Beyond Tiki more often! LOVED the Golden Monkey - and to top things off, the pilot episode spent weeks shooting at my dad's office on Makai Research Pier in Waimanalo. I practically lived on the pier when the filmed there. Lots of fun. The golden monkey site has some screen-grabs of the pier:

Now, if you are thinking that the pier looks familiar, it also served as TC's office and helipad in Magnum PI. They booted my dad out every so often to shoot for a few years, but when the show really started making $$ they built a duplicate of the office at the Diamond Head Soundstages. Jack Lord also shot M-station: Hawaii at the pier, and you can see the pier being built in one of the first seasons of Hawaii 5-0. End of history lesson

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-11 10:09 pm   Permalink

Keep that "Monkey Love" rolling in!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-13 8:08 pm   Permalink

I used to love this show as a kid and was truly bummed when it got killed. Sweaty tropical location, tons of eye-candy in the background, good action.
Couple years ago I downloaded some VHS-ripped episodes - held up better than I thought. A little hokey, but ya gotta expect that from the time-period.
Gotta get the DVD.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 3:14 pm   Permalink

I like old "so-bad-it's-good," "exotic-locale" pop stuff as much as the next TCer, but I'm afraid I couldn't take much of this series.
By all means have a look if you're so inclined, but it seemed to me this thread ought to have one frank, negative review of the show.
I hate to be a stinker, but I found it to be so bad it's ... bad.
Totally cornball, over-acted attempts at humor.
Generic tropical locations, no tiki (unless it starts to appear in later episodes) despite being set in the "south seas," and very limited (and often inane or otherwise problemmatic) presence of "natives"...
I tried, I really did, but ... I cried "Uncle" after about 2 or 3 episodes.
Info. above on shooting location is great stuff though. I like "M Station Hawaii," but then anything with Elissa Dulce is awesome, right?

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderDon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-11 1:24 pm   Permalink

Just rediscovered this series on my boxee box with the Navi-X app installed. I love the pulpy adventure feel! I watched this when I was in like kindergarten and just realized what a subliminal impact it had on me. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I always wanted to be an adventurer in the south pacific!

Anyways, if you download boxee or get a boxee box and install the navi-x app you can watch the whole series for free!

http://bigfootandtiki.com/

View Profile of TraderDon Send a personal message to TraderDon  Email TraderDon Goto the website of TraderDon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CraigtheKeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-17 12:00 am   Permalink

I remember when it was on TV. It was called "Tales of the BRASS MONKEY" at first. It must have changed to the Gold Monkey after the Pilot or first season. I just might have to get the DVD's and watch again.

Craig the Keg

View Profile of CraigtheKeg Send a personal message to CraigtheKeg  Email CraigtheKeg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-04 2:11 pm   Permalink

Just ordered the DVDs. Planning on showing it at my room crawl party for Oasis. My room does not have a DVD player so think I will have to show off my laptop. Our cocktail will be the Gold Monkey (I'm experimenting with the recipe today at the VampTiki Lounge). Since I never saw this when it was on TV, really looking forward to watching it.

Monkeys...bar...espionage...the South Pacific...can't go wrong with that!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-07-04 10:26 pm   Permalink

Of the two shows trying for the Raider's of the Lost Ark audience, Tale's of the Gold Monkey was better than Bring 'Em Back Alive with Bruce Boxleitner but I'd like to see that one again too.

Jeff MacKay's character on Magnum P.I. "Mac" was killed so he could leave for the Gold Monkey, when it ended he came back to Magnum as one of those "I had to fake my death." things.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-05 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-04 22:26, Bora Boris wrote:
Tale's of the Gold Monkey was better than Bring 'Em Back Alive

Couldn't agree more, Gold Monkey aired first here followed within a few weeks
by BEBA, a pathetic attempt at competition I thought at the time.

One bark yes, two barks no... or was that...???

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-05 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-09 14:12, talo ka wrote:
man, we used to hit the bonger and watch this show. it was a pleasent trip into tropical fantasy. nice!

Ditto!!! LOVED this show after a few... refreshments.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-05 7:26 pm   Permalink

Nice bar!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-07-05 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 15:14, Thomas wrote:

I like "M Station Hawaii," but then anything with Elissa Dulce is awesome, right?

YES!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation