FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 02:14 am   Permalink

I recently got copies of Grog Log and Intoxica, and have found myself on a quest. Without planning or thinking about it, I have been systematically working through those books and making every drink possible. However, I am short a few items (ok, several) to make everything, but I was wondering if anyone else here has done the same thing?

So far, I have had....
Blood of the Kapu Tiki
Bum's Rush
Catamaran
Del Coronado
Doctor Funk
Don the Beachcomber Zombie
Happy Buddah
Leap Frog
Lei Lani Volcano
Meihana
Mosquito
Octopus
Pineapple Paradise
Rum Keg
Sven-Tiki
Volcano
Chief Lapu Lapu
Fog Cutter
Mango Cooler
Navy Grog
Planet of the Apes
Rum Barrel

That's 22.... so... who has done all 148(?) of them?

Not that I advocate excessive alcohol consumption, but the searching for and collecting of all the ingredients has become kind of like a hobby. I just can't wait to get back to the Tiki Ti in a week or two and have this done by a professional.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 11:26 am   Permalink

I don't know how many I have made, but I often make a new recipe each night. I also usually grade and note each recipe for future reference.

Astro Aku Aku - A
Aurora Bora Borealis - rather sweet
Beachcomber's Gold - strong unusual taste
Beachcomber's Punch - B
Blackbeard's Ghost - A- tart
Blue Hawaii - A+ very tastey
Blue Reef - A+ very good!
Boo Loo - A - nice complex flavor, strong
Castaway - C+ - basic highball, sweetish
Cheif Lapu Lapu - tart sour
Coconaut - B Yummy!
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch - C too sour
Cruzana - C- weird taste
Derby Daiquiri - A great balance to the end
Don's Own Planter's - B+
Don's Daiquiri - B+
Fog Cutter - C+ sourish
Gone the Beachcomber
Hawaii Kai Treasure - B - good balance
Hawaiian Room - B good
Headhunter C+ B - good blend
Hurricane - D sour
Kapu-Kai - D Harsh!
151 Swizzle - B - okay
Krakatoa - A
La Florida - B
Mai Tai
Navy Grog - A good
Never Say Die - good - touch sour
Oceanic Punch - C+ a little sour
Pago Pago - C
Pieces of Eight - F Sour!
Planet of the Apes
Planter's Punch - C
Polynesian Paralysis - B
Q.B. Cooler - C
Royal Hawaiian - C+ good mix
Rum Lift - B
Scorpion Bowl - F sour
Shrunken Skull - C - Grenadine is too strong

How many is that?

Basic rule of thumb is to cut the lime in half or less for all recipes. I don't like sour, so my judgement's are biased that way. And, they span a long time so I don't know if they would be the same if I made them again today.

Now, to Intoxica...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 11:29 am   Permalink

Hey thanks Swanky, I was going to ask for a rating for each one tried and you went ahead and did it. Cool!

I'm starting to venture into these books and (like a kid in a candy shop) there is too much to choose.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 1:06 pm   Permalink

So, cut the lime in half or less, and don't go by the little icon guy as far as drink strength, look at the recipe. For instance, look at the Boo Loo's icon. Not a strong drink. Look at the recipe, 4.5 ounces of liquor! Then Gone the Beachcomber is supposed to be very strong, but the recipe calls for 1.5 ounces of alcohol.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-05-02 9:03 pm   Permalink

Once when I spent the night over at the Lagoon Room, my host - Al - made us a series of drinks that night. If memory serves, we had 8 different drinks that night out of the Grog Log.

The next day I had that special stroke-like hangover.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 11:02 pm   Permalink

i thank you for having the patience, and time to post such lists! I would strongly recommend the following:

Puka Punch
Beach Bum's Own

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-02 11:05 pm   Permalink

Yep, if I got into the Intoxica list, Beachbum's Own would get an A!

Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 07:09 am   Permalink

Cut the lime in half?!? BLASPHEMY!!

Seriously, to each is own--but I suggest you start trying them with the full-strength lime. It really lifts the drinks and blends the flavors. Try to get used to it, because it is well worth it. Drinks started getting way to sweet in the 70's, IMO, and the American palate has gone along for the ride so much so that most people don't even taste sugar anymore. People used to drink straight Campari and Daquiris with no sugar! I'd like to advocate a shift back to those traditional ways.

I used to have a bit of a sweet tooth myself and would cut the lime. But nowadays, after having made all but a few of those recipes, I usually follow them pretty strictly and if anything ADD lime. Puka Punch for instance--I think it is much better with 1.5oz lime juice rather than 1oz. And the Beachbum's Own--I know everyone raves about that drink, but it's just not my bag. It's sweet and I don't care for the Licor 43. The only drink in Intoxica that I think is too sour for me is the Dr. Funk (which has absolutely NO sweet in it.)

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 07:34 am   Permalink

One more thing about sour--it cuts the hangover factor.

Your friendly neighborhood sour advocate,
Dr. Quincy

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 11:29 am   Permalink

Well, it's the balance that makes a good drink. Sweet and sour.

A good test is, make a "Pieces of Eight" by the book. If you don't think it's too sour, then maybe you can leave the recipes as they are.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 11:53 am   Permalink

Great thread!
My copies of Grog Log and Intoxica just arrived this morning.

I tend to have a very sweet tooth, but would like to make as many drinks as possible straight from the book before bastardizing..I mean adjusting them too much.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 11:55 am   Permalink

Damn, thank you guys, i just made myself a Beachbum's Own : it is DELICIOUS.

But i have to admit i had to substitute Licor 43 by Vanilla liquor.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

I think a lot of the mixologists on this board, (myself and thejab included) have found that some of the Grog Log/Intoxica drinks are certainly too tart. Balance is key, and I sometimes think there's a typo in there or two (NOTHING compared to the typo-on-every-recipe effect in the new "Don The Beachcomber" book) I don't think that you should have any kind of blanket policy about cutting the lime juice, but just make them as is and adjust it next time to taste. As far as making a drink lively, it's fresh juice that makes the difference, not the quantity of it IMHO. Balance!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 12:16 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I tend to sort of look at the recipe and see if the amount of lime juice seems right. I mean, if it calls for 1.5 ounces in a 4 ounce drink, that's a lot. If it's 1/2 ounce and there are other major amounts of pinapple juice and other sweet items, you can leave it as is.

The other secret ingredient in these recipes that you amy not think about is crushed ice. It really makes a difference.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 12:24 pm   Permalink

I must say, having crushed and cubed ice on the door of the fridge is a HUGE time saver. Highly recommended.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation