FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 11:40 am   Permalink

Get the Gror Log. $10!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 12:54 pm   Permalink

The best $10 I ever spent. BUt since getting that I have spent $100's in building my liquor cabinet.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-18 12:54, Tonnikan Jinn wrote:
...since getting that I have spent $100's in building my liquor cabinet.

-T.J.

Boy, no joke. Easily the most expensive book I've ever bought. Worth every penny, too.

-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 10:51 pm   Permalink

Tonights tally......

Trader Vic's Mai Tai
Never Say Die
Waikikian
Sidewinder's Fang

Isn't any one else out there drinking, or am I just a lush on leave from work?

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 11:12 pm   Permalink

I spent Saturday night at Trader Vic's and had the blessing to get my tab paid for, so, it's slow. And Pablus will be here tomorrow night, so, then we will hit the sauce a bit...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 03:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-18 22:51, Tonnikan Jinn wrote:

Some days ago I mixed the following drinks for me and a buddy:
  • Pineapple Paradise
  • Mai Tai
  • Castaway (not the one from the Grog Log)
  • Margarita
  • Beachcomber's Punch

T H E - S U R F I T E S

[ This Message was edited by: Klas on 2004-05-19 03:46 ]

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 3:08 pm   Permalink

I, too, havn't looked at this post because I thought it was about drunkeness stories...

I have gone through quite a lot of the drinks, but not as many as Swanky or Tonnikan Jinn.

I would like to comment on the Pieces of Eight drink, and on the lemon/lime qunatities.
It is a matter of taste, and I'm not be going to get all worked up about Swanky's opinion, especialy after he said he doesn't like tart drinks.
I really like the Pieces of Eight, and so did all of the people that I made the drink for (at least 20-25).
I agree it's tart, but refreshing.
Because of that, I don't change the lemon or lime quantities in the recipes.

Also, as opposed to a lot of hardcore drinkers, don't like drinks that taste like I'm drinking rum out of the bottle, and I found that out after experimenting with the books (I think it took me about 15 times before I realized I should look carefuly at the recipe and try to judge it's sweetness).
I can now usually tell by looking at the recipe if the drink would make me look like the "strong drink" character (shivers and all).

I havn't tried "Beachbum's own", but all the other drinks described as "original creations" had very little sweetness, if at all, and tasted very strong. Not complaining, just noting a pattern, which could be tied with Berry's own taste preferrences.

So - to conclude - the ratings are very subjective, but everyone agrees there should be balance.
I tend to not cut down on the lemon/lime, and if the drink doesn't have passion fruit syrup/simple syrup/other sweet ingredient, I just pass.

Ran

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the_reverb on 2004-05-19 15:09 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 10:46 pm   Permalink

Friday night update, although I haven't had all of these tonight. Sit back, realx, have one on me!

Test Pilot
Beachcomber's Punch
Astro Aku Aku
Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Hawaiian Eye
Heavens Above
Jungle Bird (discovered I really don't like Campari. This is the only drink I couldn't finish)
Puka Punch (!!!!!!! This one is great!!!!!!!!)

That's 67 down, and still plenty of viable liver tissue and brain cells left.... but not for long.... I've got to switch hobbies again.

-T.J.

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 2:02 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I just spent Saturday night at Hale Tiki. It was my first Tiki road trip from NY and there is no telling when I would be back, and the hotel was literally next door, so I was on a mission to sample drinks. Here's the list of drinks I actually remember drinking:

1 Concubine
1 Suffering Bastard
2 Pain Killers
1 Hurricane
1 Blue Hawaii
4 Mai Tai (awesomely mixed by Mel the bartender)
1 Missionary's Downfall
and
1 shot of some sort that was quite tasty, but I never got the name.

All were quite good, but the Mai Tais kicked butt.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-05-24 14:04 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 12:47 am   Permalink

Update from the weekend. This is really going to change now that the Grogalizer is online. What a teriffic tool! Now I can plan my evening cocktail before I leave work, and check out the ratings before I make one for a friend.
Here we go.....
Planter's Punch
Gone The Beachcomber
Royal Hawaiian
Outrigger
Kapu-Kai
Don's 151 Swizzle
Coconut Willie

74 down and I'm half way home. If I drink all of them maybe I can get a special t-shirt or something.

-T.J.

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

No one seems to be responding to you TJ, so I will. Your a ^@%^$@& drunk! We should hang out.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 11:00 pm   Permalink

Flounder,
Thank you for calling me a drunk and not an alcoholic. After all... alcoholics go to meetings, I just stay home and have a couple cocktails.

So, while everyone else is at some meeting listening to some poor sod who hasn't had a drink is 5 years and still calling himself "an alcoholic", I had these....

Aurora Bora Borealis
Hell in the Pacific
Tasman Sea

77 down, still too many to go.

-T.J.

P.S. No offence to any of the 12 steppers out there. No mallice was meant.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 11:21 pm   Permalink

TJ,
Just so you know, I felt guilty and had 2 new ones myself tonight. Well, one new one and another I had not noted when I had it a long time ago.
Eastern Sour B best bourbon drink I ever had
Planet of the Apes C - C+

And as for the cost, it's not so bad after a point. There are things you keep buying like rum, but stuff like Pernod and Falernum last a long time.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 7:37 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to know who else has had the Golden Wave from Intoxica?Opinions?

Mine: It's a friggin good drink!
Have 2...they're small!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 4:59 pm   Permalink

I can never decide what I want to drink and I have been mixing tiki drinks since I was legal drinking age, so I can imagine the confusion for someone new to all this.

That's why at my bar we came up with the "Deck of Destiny", draw two cards from a shuffled deck with four jokers in it. Example: 7 then a 5 is a Mai Tai.

Click here if you would like to see a PDF of our score card:
Deck.PDF

The amazing thing about it is it Never has given someone a drink that they didn't like.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation