FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-19 12:58 pm   Permalink

One of the cards/coasters that I had made up really quick on Print Shop a couple of months ago. It was part of a birthday gift with a mug and other tiki goodies. This one was laminated so it does not do what "regular" coasters do yet in absorbing anything but you get the idea.

Pablus, drinks is a little robusto but I like it! See, us HB'rs are not all like that.

I'll be working on something for the 'goose soon.

T

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-19 1:14 pm   Permalink

Just for the record on the Mai Tai Lime juice: At Trader Vic's Atlanta, they use a quarter lime per drink in the Mai Tai. Wring it out, set it on the counter. Shake, drop it in the glass and pour the drink on top. That's how much lime to use...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-19 1:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-15 11:26, Tikiwahine wrote:
I had a couple of Damon's Mai Tais from Taboo Table the other night, and they were damm tasty!

Got me nice and sauced, and MachTiki can vouch for me on that one.

... I also got to use my new lime squeezing gadget, which worked like a charm. One handed, AND I was left with a clean shell to use as a cheap-ass garnish.

Yeah, there was some drunk Shouting going on by both of us. We decided that if you are drinking while on Shout, you are not actually drinking alone. You're drinking with friends.

About the juicer - I have the same one and LOVE IT. Super efficiant.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-19 2:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-18 09:03, Swanky wrote:
...The same people ignored the fruit and vegetable trays and the finger sandwiches to dive into M&Ms...

Over Easter when Jeff was home we had a "nail 'em to the cross" party(a spring BBQ) I picked up a huge container of veggies and some jalapeno ranch dressing. I couldn't believe what a hit it was! Beer drinking beef eating men eating their veggies? They MUST have been drunk! That was the night of the Pink Winks and Pago Pagos for unsuspecting guests.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 5:39 pm   Permalink

Pablus, glad you liked the drink. Like I said, it's the first recipe I ever came up with, and ultimately it's a mai tai variation. I've worked up plenty more since then. In fact I find that I enjoy experimenting with original recipes more than trying the classics. I tend to like drinks with more boozes and liqueurs and less juices.

Trustar, that coaster looks really cool! I look forward to what you come with for the RM. I don't have to work tomorrow and my allergies are currently at bay so I think I'll make one or two this evening. Maybe I'll try one of those Trader Woodys as well.

Swanky, the same holds true for the "classic" (hand made) mai tais at TV SF. The bartender had this little squeezer gimmick that look like some sort of miniature Victorian gynecological tool which he used to squeeze the lime. I asked him how much lime juice he estimated was in the mai tai and he guessed 1/4 oz. I guesstimated between 1/4 and 1/2 oz. He added that they throw in a dash of concentrated lime juice.

Tikiwahine, anything, I mean ANYTHING, is manly when covered in ranch dressing. A dainty quiche lorraine slathered in jalapeno ranch dressing would be wolfed down by even the burliest mountain man without a second thought!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The missus volunteered to help out with a family hawaiian themed wedding shower. We found a couple of easy to make drinks from the books and she mixed. I think it was the Sventiki and something. Anyway. She mixes thema nd they are good. But the guests hated them. Wanted them more sweet. We picked sweet drinks mind you. So, she added more pineapple syrup. "Sweeter!" So more Grenadine. Craziness. And then one of the guests puts Equal inthe drink to boot! Man. I thought I liked sweeter drinks, but that was just craziness.

As someone planning on opening a tiki bar, what does this tell you?

Be prepared to sell more daquiris (strawberry) and margaritas than mai tais and make peace with yourself and/or your god(s) so that you can still sleep well at night. Oh yeah, lots of beer and wine as well.

Maybe you could come up with slightly tiki-fied variations of the popular drinks, like a passionfruit margarita or something like that. Just a thought.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-21 06:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-20 18:38, Kono wrote:
Quote:

The missus volunteered to help out with a family hawaiian themed wedding shower. We found a couple of easy to make drinks from the books and she mixed. I think it was the Sventiki and something. Anyway. She mixes thema nd they are good. But the guests hated them. Wanted them more sweet. We picked sweet drinks mind you. So, she added more pineapple syrup. "Sweeter!" So more Grenadine. Craziness. And then one of the guests puts Equal inthe drink to boot! Man. I thought I liked sweeter drinks, but that was just craziness.

As someone planning on opening a tiki bar, what does this tell you?

Be prepared to sell more daquiris (strawberry) and margaritas than mai tais and make peace with yourself and/or your god(s) so that you can still sleep well at night. Oh yeah, lots of beer and wine as well.

Maybe you could come up with slightly tiki-fied variations of the popular drinks, like a passionfruit margarita or something like that. Just a thought.

At Hale Tiki, the Painkillers are very popular. Sweet and coconutty. My sweet offering will also be the Blue Hawaii and maybe Blue Reef. I'll also offer a variety of daiquiris. The Derby Daiquiri is a personal favorite. And my
fresh mango daiquiri, mmm. Have you had your daily allowance of fruit?

I am afraid I will have trouble with people disrespecting the tiki. I assume I'll get over it.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-07 7:04 pm   Permalink

Ack, has anyone ever made the Missionary's Downfall? I was looking forward to it as it is a classic but bleh! Too little booze and too much mint and ice! I alternated between feeling as if I were eating a veggie snack and feeling as if I were brushing my teeth. But I never felt like I was having an exotic drink. I believe that this was the first Grog Log/Intoxica drink that I could not finish.

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-11 2:07 pm   Permalink

Lately I've been revisiting Intoxica and remaking every drink that I made when I first bought it, and a few that I haven't tried yet.

I just have to say that the Don the Beachcomber's Zombie is the best Zombie I've had, ever! So far, it and the Puka Puka are my favorite drinks in Intoxica.

I still have to buy a few items: Licor 43 (which I tried in Spain and liked very much) and Barenjager (which I doubt I'll drink very often), among other ingredients that I may never find such as Okolehao and Pimento Liqueur.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 4:08 pm   Permalink

Kono, how dare you sir!! I will not stand idly by and watch you insult the Missionary's Downfall! I have to admit this one took a bit of getting used to but if you decide to give it another chance I think you'll find it real refreshing. In order to make it taste more like a tropical drink and less like a biannual cleaning at the dentist's office, I add more pineapple than specified. Load up the blender with a healthy full chunk of pineapple and the taste will improve dramatically. At my bar we’ve been guzzling down pitchers of Downfall’s on a consistent basis – my wife has even proclaimed that the Missionary’s Downfall is now her favorite drink!

Oh I almost forgot the most important improvement... add another ounce of the Bacardi to liven it up a bit!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-06 7:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 16:08, johntiki wrote:
Kono, how dare you sir!! I will not stand idly by and watch you insult the Missionary's Downfall! I have to admit this one took a bit of getting used to but if you decide to give it another chance I think you'll find it real refreshing. In order to make it taste more like a tropical drink and less like a biannual cleaning at the dentist's office, I add more pineapple than specified. Load up the blender with a healthy full chunk of pineapple and the taste will improve dramatically. At my bar we’ve been guzzling down pitchers of Downfall’s on a consistent basis – my wife has even proclaimed that the Missionary’s Downfall is now her favorite drink!

Oh I almost forgot the most important improvement... add another ounce of the Bacardi to liven it up a bit!

Ha! I missed this until now. More pineapple and rum? Sounds like an improvement, maybe less mint as well? I felt like I was eating a mint icee and I was flossing green flecks out of my teeth for days! I'll try it again when I work up enough nerve.

I went looking for this thread because I remembered we were discussing the amount of lime used in the drinks. I wanted to mention that in the new "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" book the lime juice has been drastically cut in the recipes. The drink recipes were provided by Trader Vics VP Sven Koch and I must think more reflective of what they are currently serving at TV's. The Trader Vic's Mai Tai has only .5oz lime juice! You don't know how much this gladdens my heart. They also include the original recipe (one large lime) and a recipe for using the Mai Tai mix.

It's a bit of an odd book, part history, part advert for TV products, part recipes and part intro to the tiki theme for the Target crowd. The author writes recipe books (The Pancake Handbook for example) and I'm guessing is probably not a real tikiphile. The book opens with some TV history, which looks good enough. Next follows a section on how to set up a "Tiki Party" which, for the Tiki Central audience at least, is pretty damn lame (recommends mixing in reggae with your Don Ho but no mention of Denny, Baxter, Lyman etc, also that tiki ceramicware can be fun to collect but you really want to use clear glassware at the shindig for better presentation (WTF??)). There's also a lot of cheesy Trader Vics product placement (photos including Trader Vics brand rums but no Lemon Hart or Havana Club). They do plug Tiki Farm though, which is cool. The reason to buy the book is for all of the recipes; both food and drink. With a quick flipping of the pages I can say that I didn't see a single drink with more than .5oz lime juice!

The photo of the ahi poke has me drooling and I may have to whip some up this weekend

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 05:55 am   Permalink

Okay dude I think we get what you're trying to sell... Maui Rum may taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know 'cause I wouldn't drink the shit after your attempt to hijack Tiki Central!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-07 05:55, johntiki wrote:
Maui Rum may taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know 'cause I wouldn't drink the shit after your attempt to hijack Tiki Central!

Ditto!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 09:34 am   Permalink

Rummaker,

Seriously, what is your problem? Do you really think that redundant posts is the way to our hearts (and wallets)? If there was ever a bigger forum for people who love rum, I've never heard of it. All you're doing is just making sure we don't buy Maui Rum.

Are you affiliated with them or just an estranged jerk?

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-07 09:34, MachTiki wrote:
Rummaker,

... If there was ever a bigger forum for people who love rum, ...

These guys are bigger rum lovers, but, hey, I bet we could drink them under the table...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation