FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Substitute for Demerara Rum??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Substitute for Demerara Rum??
marcoslive
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-05 09:16 am   Permalink

I have Bacardi Light , Bacardi 8 years, Rum from Barbados, Dark jamaican rum, jamaican spiced rum, venezolan rum, cuban rum,.....a lot of rums but I'd like to know the best substitute as I can get demerara rum her ein spain

View Profile of marcoslive Send a personal message to marcoslive  Email marcoslive     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 12:27 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure, but if I was in the same situation, I would try either amber Martinique rum or Havana Club Anejo Reserva as a substitute for Demerara.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 5:29 pm   Permalink

Klas, welcome back.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2010-07-22 12:46 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 06:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-08 17:29, pablus wrote:

Klas, welcome back.

Thanks Pablus (although I never really left, just didn't visit as much)

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-10 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-08 17:29, pablus wrote:
Demerara is a spiced rum

I may have to disagree with you, my friend. I don't think it's spiced. This is from Grolier's Encyclopedia (via a web site):

Quote:
The darker, heavier Jamaican rums--made for the most part in Jamaica, Barbados, and Guyana -- are produced from a combination of molasses and skimmings from the sugar boiling vats; the darkest, Guyana's Demarara, is produced by very rapid fermentation and is not particularly heavy bodied. The fermentation of other substances in the molasses enhances the liquid's flavor and aroma.

marcoslive - Did you look for rum from Guayana? All Demararas are from Guyana, but not all Guyanan rums are Demararan (only the ones made in Demarara region). So, you may want to ask around for Guyanan rum.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 2:23 pm   Permalink

You're right, of course.

I should have written "Demerara has a slight spiced flavor."

My goofy recipe is an approximation proffered by someone who lives in Tampa and has only now found one location within a 35 mile radius to buy El Dorado (both kinds).

Ain't nothin' like the real thing.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 2:29 pm   Permalink

The simple answer is, use dark rum.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-10 14:23, pablus wrote:
My goofy recipe is an approximation proffered by someone who lives in Tampa and has only now found one location within a 35 mile radius to buy El Dorado (both kinds).

Pablus,

Florida liquor stores can ship to Florida addresses, so order up a few bottles and pour the mailman a Demerara Dry Float as a "thanks" for taking such fine care of your fragile shipment:

Wally's Mills Avenue Liquors in Orlando will probably ship and they have great prices on all the El Dorado rums.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-10 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-10 14:29, Swanky wrote:
The simple answer is, use dark rum.

I have to disagree with this. The beauty of many classic tropical drinks was the careful blending of aged rums from different areas each with different characteristics in order to achieve a complex and unique flavor. Just dumping Myers's or other dark rums that are young and artificially colored into a drink will not produce the same taste as an aged Demarara would.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-10 15:23, TheMuggler wrote:

Wally's Mills Avenue Liquors in Orlando will probably ship and they have great prices on all the El Dorado rums.

Muggler, does Wally's have a good selection of spirits that you can't find at ABC and all the other chain liquor stores? I live pretty close to Wally's but never went there because it looks kinda dumpy. I've been trying to find a liquor store in the area with a decent selection. I hate reading about spirits and liqueurs here on TC and then find out that my neighborhood liquor stores can't even special order the stuff (Trader Vics, Aqwa etc). Any other liquor stores in the area that are worth checking out?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 7:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks to this post and a weekend in Orlando, I've finally acquired Damerera rum!

A visit Wally's did the trick -- I picked up two bottles of El Dorado, the regular and the dark, just for kicks. They had the 15-year reserve there, and if I like the others, I'll be back for that one too!

I struck up a nice conversation with Wally -- it seems his wife and my girlfriend have mutual friends, so he's going to see if he can get Lemon Hart. We shall wait and see.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 8:53 pm   Permalink

With the exception of a bottle of Watson's I picked up in Scotland, I've exclusively used Lemon Hart for my Demerara. I see talk here (and just saw on the shelf at Hi-Time) about El Dorado. How does it compare to Lemon Hart? It's priced a lot less, lemme tell ya...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 10:46 pm   Permalink

el dorado is good and will work, but is no lemon hart

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 07:07 am   Permalink

I've been using Pusser's as a Demerara substitute. Am under the impression that Demerara is a substantial component of this blend. I think they say it's the same recipe the Royal Navy traditionally used.

Am I all wet on this?

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKohler

Posted: 30 days ago; 5:11 pm   Permalink

O.K., so I was reading Trader Vic's Tiki Party book by Stephen Siegelman. In the Rum "Rundown" section he states that you can substitute a spiced rum for Demerara. I have never had Demerara so I am blissfully ignorant of what I'm missing out on. Either way, this sounds horribly misguided given everything I have read here.

What tastes the most similar?

If I WAS to use a spiced rum as a substitute, which one would you recommend? (I still haven't found one bottle of lemon hart or El Dorado)

View Profile of TikiKohler Send a personal message to TikiKohler      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation