[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Stepford Wives
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Stepford Wives
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-06 9:47 pm   Permalink

Remember The Stepford Wives movie (1975)?
They are coming out with a remake (as you know) with an impressive cast.

Credited cast:
Nicole Kidman .... Joanna Eberhart
Bette Midler .... Bobbie Markowe
Matthew Broderick .... Walter Eberhart
Christopher Walken .... Dale Coba
Faith Hill .... Sarah Sunderson
Glenn Close .... Dr. Emily Francher
Roger Bart .... Roger Bannister
Jon Lovitz .... Dave Markowe

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 12:47 am   Permalink

All of these remakes of classic TV and movies is L-A-M-E. How 'bout say, oh I don't know...a NEW idea??! They would repaint a Picasso or Rembrandt if they could. Not that 'Stepford Wives' is like Picasso, but you know what I mean...

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 04:25 am   Permalink

And it's a comedy! It will be nice to see Walken and Broderick together again.

I, myself, will be waiting for the sequel to
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo .

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-07 04:32 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 06:03 am   Permalink

the stepford wives as a comedy might actually be fun (but'll probably suck).

i agree about all these remakes being lame. i heard they're re-making alfie! why? it was near perfect anyway.

however, do these re-makes renew interest in the originals?

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 07:20 am   Permalink

The Stepford Wives remake probably will be entertaining. Anyone remember these 70's horror movies? Some were so bad, that I'd love to see them remade again:

"Ben" (vigilante rats)
"Frogs" (Ray Milland being bullied by amphibians)
"Gargoyles"
"Food of the Gods" (giant rats)
"Ssssss" (snakes)

-and this is totally unrelated, but who remembers the lame '70's shows:

"Hot L Baltimore" (there were probably only about 2 or 3 episodes)
"James at 15" (simply awful)

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 08:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 07:20, Sam Gambino wrote:
"Ben" (vigilante rats)

Wasn't that already done as "Willard"?

Now Frogs, yeah that was pretty good. Just had that whole, "get what you deserve" thing going for it. How about "ALLIGATOR". Any movie with a killer gator in the sewers has got to be good.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

The Hot L Baltimore was 1 of my favorite shows as a kid. I don't know how I was able to watch it, it was on after 9 & was from Norman Lear whom my parents hated. The cast included Charlotte Rae, James Cromwell, Conchita Ferrell & Richard Masur. The show's characters included 2 homosexuals, several prostitutes, an off-screen psychotic, and a black man (Ooh! The Liberalism! This's why my parents hated Norman Lear), situations included allusions to gay sex, prostitution, bondage, welfare fraud & glueing yourself to the ceiling (the aforementioned off-screen psychotic)... What's not to love?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 08:45, Turbogod wrote:
Quote:

"Ben" (vigilante rats)

Wasn't that already done as "Willard"?

Now Frogs, yeah that was pretty good. Just had that whole, "get what you deserve" thing going for it. How about "ALLIGATOR". Any movie with a killer gator in the sewers has got to be good.

Ben was the sequel to Willard. If they redid Ben, who should they get to sing "The Love Theme from Ben?" Michael Jackson again, or is there a better choice to sing a love song to a large rat?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 09:09 am   Permalink

veering more, but

perhaps it's the post-911 thing, but two big movies opening now (today?) remind me totally of 70's disaster movies:

1. an earthquake one
2. messed up polar icecap = frozen new york

the difference is that the mayhem is all computer generated now. oh for the days of scale model buildings collapsing.

j$

p.s. the billboards for the freezing one shows the statue of liberty hand with horizontal icicles. those damn dirty apes!!!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 09:28 am   Permalink

I wonder what the next set of remakes will be...

I'd say West World (by John Wu), Warriors (by Michael Moore in his faux documentary style) , Beach Blanket Bingo (by the Farrelly Brothers), Blacula (by Spike Lee), and Taxi Driver (by Quentin Tarantino) are all in grave danger!

[ This Message was edited by: Geeky Tiki on 2004-05-07 09:29 ]

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 09:34 am   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=8328&forum=6&vpost=83551

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 09:56 am   Permalink

On the subject of disaster movies like the one mentioned about frozen New York, and past examples like the one not too long ago with Ben Affleck and a nuclear bomb in Baltimore, and the one a few years ago ( can't remember the name) where the White House gets blown up...in this post 9/11 world, do we really need this stuff. I mean... a frozen New York City and all that. Isn't the politics of fear umbrella that we all live under nowadays enough.? Are disaster movies really necessary?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 09:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 08:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

The Hot L Baltimore was 1 of my favorite shows as a kid. I don't know how I was able to watch it, it was on after 9

ff, wasn't it on on Friday nights?

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 09:57, Sam Gambino wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-05-07 08:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

The Hot L Baltimore was 1 of my favorite shows as a kid. I don't know how I was able to watch it, it was on after 9

ff, wasn't it on on Friday nights?

Yes sir, but I was only 11. Staying up 'til 9:30 on a weekend was still a treat.

Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 09:56, donhonyc wrote:
On the subject of disaster movies like the one mentioned about frozen New York, and past examples like the one not too long ago with Ben Affleck and a nuclear bomb in Baltimore, and the one a few years ago ( can't remember the name) where the White House gets blown up...in this post 9/11 world, do we really need this stuff. I mean... a frozen New York City and all that. Isn't the politics of fear umbrella that we all live under nowadays enough.? Are disaster movies really necessary?

I don't really think of them so much as glorifying disaster as (vapid) stories of humans overcoming daunting (contrived) obstacles.

Maybe these movies help people feel like what's facing them isn't as big for a few hours. Maybe redemption of a flawed character (they almost always have those) as a motif? I don't really know the appeal, but it sure must be there for the studios to keep cranking out those things.

Also, if we eliminated all the flicks that reflect modern angst, all we'd have left is Merchant Ivory films. Now, THAT would be a disaster!

Hmmmmm, if we were to get rid of diaster stories altogether, we'd pretty much have to lose the whole first half of that certain book that many people use as a factual history of humankind, eh?

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation