[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Stepford Wives
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Stepford Wives
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-07 11:57 am   Permalink

What's so appealing about the original is that it was pretty bad and didn't have good actors. I doubt the remake will be as funny.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiholic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-07 12:55 pm   Permalink

Heard they filmed it in Irvine & used local residents

[ This Message was edited by: tikiholic on 2004-05-07 12:56 ]

View Profile of Tikiholic Send a personal message to Tikiholic  Email Tikiholic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 5:06 pm   Permalink

Ya gotta admit that the casting of Faith Hill as a Stepford Wife is sheer genius. I saw an ad last night, and her flawless, beautiful, and utterly blank expression was astounding in its perfection. I can't wait!

I never could figure out with "Frogs" just how the malevalent amphibians achieved their murderous goal. Did they "frog" Milland to death (he'd fallen out of his wheelchair or something, right?)? "Ribbet" him? Hoppy-hop all over him until he lost his mind? I mean, just how in the h*ll does a frog - even hundreds - kill a man? They weren't poisonous! They were just evil swamp frogs! And it wasn't implied that they shoved their little froggy feet into his nostrils to suffocate him! And there weren't enough to crush him!

How?! HOW?!?!

Now, "Night of the Lepus" (giant mutant bunnies) - THAT I can accept! They can at least gnaw on ya real good!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-05-07 07:20, Sam Gambino wrote:-and this is totally unrelated, but who remembers the lame '70's shows:

"Hot L Baltimore" (there were probably only about 2 or 3 episodes)
"James at 15" (simply awful)

Hey, Sam, and I loved "James at 15"!! Lance Kerwin, right?

(Maybe it had something to to do with the fact that I was a 15 year old girl. Never mind.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 12:36 am   Permalink

Hey Formikahini- yes, Lance Kerwin was the guy. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that he was new to whatever area it was the show was set in, and he was constantly telling people that he had come from Oregon - and don't feel bad because you loved him so much - I had a die-hard crush on Betty Rubble when I was young (no joke!). I was a sucker for brunettes with cute, sweet voices.

Maybe those frogs all "tongued" Ray Milland simultaneously with their long whip-like sticky tongues, and that's what pulled him out of his wheelchair.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 7:32 pm   Permalink

James at 15 must have had alot of viewers if I remember right wasn't there a James at 16 and 17?

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-09 12:38 am   Permalink

I do remember "James at 16", but not "17."

Here's another real dud: "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo" with Claude Akins and Mills Watson.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-09 06:31 am   Permalink

On the DVD for the WILLARD remake, there is a beautiful music video of Crispin Glover singing the "Ben" song by Michael Jackson.

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2004-05-09 10:11 am   Permalink

I can remember being very impressed with the original 'Stepford Wives' when I first saw it on TV. I knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand, which always makes the various plot twists even that more surprising. (the other film I saw in the same way, with a similar impact, was 'Deliverance')

I'm looking forward to the new 'Stepford Wives' - the trailer I saw looked very good. One might argue that the Stepford Wives is even more relevant today - the 70's didn't have as many breast augmentations, cosmetic surgery, and total makeovers as there are today.

I also enjoyed the movie 'Westworld', which has a very similar premise to 'The Stepford Wives' - that people will pay money to live in a perfect, but falsely created artificial environment, rather than live with the warts and blemishes that the real natural world provides.

I just realized that the last paragraph could describe us tiki-folk's efforts to replicate a tropical paradise within our own homes. Could it be that 'I have met the enemy, and he is I,' and that I will soon have a robotic wahine hanging out in my tiki bar room?

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-05-10 1:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-09 00:38, Sam Gambino wrote:Here's another real dud: "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo" with Claude Akins and Mills Watson.

Speaking of Claude Akins, who remembers "Movin' On?". Another trucker TV show was "BJ and the Bear".

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-11 08:13 am   Permalink

I love the seventies movies about technology run amok, like Westworld. I would also add Colossus: The Forbin Project and Demon Seed to that list. Mmmm...paranoia

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 08:30 am   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

Speaking of Claude Akins, who remembers "Movin' On?". Another trucker TV show was "BJ and the Bear".

I remember "Movin' On". My brother had the model kit of the truck.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-05-11 11:00 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation