FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 12:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks Vintage Girl,

Yeah, I knew who she was. I did later explained to her how fervently tiki we were and she seemed to understand.

Then I made the mistake of asking her if she ever gets any flack from women about doing her act. She acted like she had no idea what I was talking about and said she never gets flack. Oooooooo K. It was also funny because she later said she would be right back then she stepped 4 feet from me and sat down and started to talk to someone else. Not sure if she ever came back.

Tina, that melodica is played a lot by Miss Lily Banquet of Combustible Edison. The third album, Impossible World, has some great cuts.

BTW, Vintage Girl, I know we have been to a lot of common events, but this was the first time I got to really talk to you. What a blast and your costume for Sat Nite was the ginchiest!

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cousin Dave
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-10 1:48 pm   Permalink

Well, this was my initial TO experience and I gotta tell you it was by far one of the best times I've had in a loooooooong time--indeed a weekend to treasure. A special mahalo to all my fellow TC'ers and various other colorful characters for providing such a warm welcome to the only Arizonan who made the trip(as far as I know.) I was especially impressed by the number of; quality of merchandise; and friendliness of the vendors. Many of them there for the first time told me that they definitely planned on coming back next year due to the positive response that they received. And to all the musicians and other various performers who participated--awesome job! Can't wait til the big TO-V. In the meantime, looking forward to hooking up with some of you guys/gals again in the coming months ahead. Good to see so many restless natives out in the jungle~~Cousin Dave

View Profile of Cousin Dave Send a personal message to Cousin Dave  Email Cousin Dave     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 2:18 pm   Permalink

Picture this --

Warm Saturday night.
Front row.
Ape on stage - the guys and Crazy Al doing his thing.
A
Reverb Crash in hand served to me personally by KTR himself.
My wahine and all my closest friends smiling and dancing.
My son on my lap enjoying the show.
No worries on my mind, just good music, good fun, good times...

I've died and gone to heaven.

I can't believe I have to wait another year to experience this all again....

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 3:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-05-10 09:36, tikibob wrote:
There was an awkward moment when one chick brought in a "dance mix" CD.

Before she did this in Room 135, she did it in Doctor Z's room. We were enjoynig some cocktails and the soothing sound of Iuka and his uke. She came in and put her cd on the boombox and cranked it up. Iuka and The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa, myself and Mrs.Pug, and Johnnie & Lady Velour left and headed down to Room 135. 10 minutes later she showed up with her dance cd and tried to commandeer the cd player. I thought I was having a nightmare.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 3:52 pm   Permalink

There was a small crowd that gathered in 135 on Friday night. A woman showed up with some friends and a cd of their own. It had this Sixties go-go type music on it and this woman and a friend were groovin away, they were trying to get a dance party scene going, maaaaaaan! Nobody else was biting. Al was trying to clear out the room. The 135 party was supposed to take place the next night and besides, there was a Zombie taste-off happening and we couldn't miss that! Everybody else is out of the room except these two. Almost had to physically remove them.

Then the next night, some Dr. Z party refugees spoke of a woman with bones in her hair. She had just been to the other party with...a dance party cd, maaaaaan! What was worse, she was going to come to 135 and get a scene going. Batten down the hatches, tikis! Bone Girl is about to invade your space!

Thanks to this warning, we were ready for her. As she lunged lustily toward the stereo, she was restrained by a chorus of "NOOOOOOOO!" No dance party for you, Bone Girl. As she held the offending media aloft, it was snatched by a good citizen who promptly sprinted right out the door with BG in hot pursuit.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

I was too busy intoxicating the masses with "Beachbum's Own"s to be too aware of what was transpiring, although I did notice that my Clouseaux cd had been replaced by ... 'something else' at some point.

I do, however, remember this gal, as she came in and pleaded to use the shower! I didn't have any problem with it, I just needed to know who she was, as I'd never seen her before (well, without the costume and all). She left dripping wet shortly thereafter and took her music with her.

BTW-- 'someone' made off with 2 of my vintage Beachbum Burt's glasses - any info as to there whereabouts would be appreciated...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-10 16:10, Doctor Z wrote:

BTW-- 'someone' made off with 2 of my vintage Beachbum Burt's glasses - any info as to there whereabouts would be appreciated...

You know, our innocence (if we ever had any) was taken away that weekend. We had a number of thefts there.

I believe it's because, among other things, our little tiki scene is being diluted with people with little appreciation of tiki.

I'm gonna be kicking some ass if I ever catch anyone ripping off myself or my tiki ohana!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:34 pm   Permalink

Bong, I fully know what you mean! I mean, I felt bad enough drinking those tecates...but hell, I got 'em cheap, and the funky monkeys were giving me heartburn! But how un-tiki can ya get, to bring a "dance mix CD" to this event!!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:36 pm   Permalink

It was really nice getting to finally meet some of you. So much was going on, there wasn't enough time to chat with everyone I had hoped to. I left Oasis with only one word on my lips..LUSHY!

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-05-10 21:37 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I do, however, remember this gal, as she came in and pleaded to use the shower! I didn't have any problem with it, I just needed to know who she was, as I'd never seen her before (well, without the costume and all). She left dripping wet shortly thereafter and took her music with her.

Yeah, I drove her out of your room when I kept turning her music WAY down- she'd come back over and turn it up again and I'd turn it down again as soon as she started to walk away. I was in the middle of a conversation and that music was driving me crazy. After about 20 times of us going back and forth, she grabbed her CD and said, "I'm taking my CD and the party and leaving" and I told her to get the hell out!

I didn't think she'd have the nerve to go down to 135 and try it again!

Awesome time! I still can't get over it all! Good friends and good drinks- what more is there...?

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-10 16:36, DawnTiki wrote:

Lots and lots of pictures taken, here are a few...

Hey DawnTiki, that link is just a general link, not to your pictures specifically, so double-check it and fix the link here!

I can provide a little bit of insight into the Dance Party Debacle... because I do know the background story.

Last year, she (Kari) shared a room at Oasis with DJ Cali Kid, and the Millionaire from Combustible Edison. It was on the same side and the same floor as 135, but down by La Casita. Anyway, it was quite the raging dance party-- and the three of them took turns DJing. I hung out there for a bit and it was really fun. Not to mention the fact that between the three of them, they had a mind-blowing playlist.

Because they were occupied in that room, and for whatever other reason as well (I don't think any of them are here on TC), they were not aware of the happenings in 135, and also not aware of its mystic aura.

So this year, there was no such room for them. The Millionaire couldn't make it to Oasis; I'm not sure where DJ Cali Kid was staying; and Kari was staying elsewhere. She wanted to have a similar dance party this year, so she made some CD's accordingly.

As was mentioned here, she first tried this in the Z's room. It was a tad... *awkward*, as she did indeed interrupt Iuka etc. Getting no warm reception there, she took the CD down to 135. Not knowing of the special cachet that 135 has, she basically derailed things.

I agree with VintageGirl's thoughts-- it's quite thoughtless to try to do that. (Come in and take over a party.) After basically getting driven out of 135, she (Kari) went back to the Z's, and told me what happened. (I don't think she appreciated the fact that I laughed, but whatever.) She said that the lesson she had learned was to make sure she had her own room at Caliente Tropics next year so that she could have her dance party.

More thoughts on other stuff later, I'm still catching my breath. When I catch my breath, I'm going to use it to play a melodica!!!

mig

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 4:57 pm   Permalink

In that chick's defense, it waaas sixties go-go music not some kind of electronica or something, so it was kinda on the same page. It is still kinda weak that she came in and commendeered the stereo. Especially when Judd and I were in the middle of a rockabilly uke bonanza.

Doc, I heard that stuff was being ripped off all weekend long from different people. Sorry to hear about your glasses.

I can't wait till next year. That was soo fun.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 5:24 pm   Permalink

Oops - I'll have to figure it out later tonight. Sorry -

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 5:28 pm   Permalink

The REEF is a 1st class tiki bar! the decor and the ambience is right on. The drinks were excellent and reasonably priced. The staff friendly and attentive...and the Menehunes were smokin'. Mahalos to Dr. Z, Alnshely, kick_the_reverb, Onatiki, Bong & many more for your hospitality and some of the best drinks ever concocted. The Zombie tasting wiped me out on Friday nite (I take the 5th for anything that might have happened thereafter). Had a hell of a good time...can't wait for next year.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-10 5:41 pm   Permalink

What a cool weekend!! Tiki Oasis is all that and then some. I was sad I missed CheekyGirls "Drink off". I got stuck in that pile up on the 10E.

Next year we'll have to organize a team effort in a super soaker batttle, maybe kinda like dodge ball?? Or how about a water pistol sharp shooter event?? Bax took the award for the biggest and baddest water connons.

We had forewarning of that girl visiting room 135. Al asked to close the door at one point because things were starting to get roudy, so I appointed myself "door man." For fun I was asking people for the "password" when she came along. After I "skewered" her for a while I finally gave up and told her the password. "Can I come in and take a shower in your room??". Her face came to attention like somebody "filled me in" on who she was. Like you mig, I laughed......... I don't think she thought it was funny either (hee-hee).

Somebody needs to start a thread of pictures because all I saw all weekend was a sea of digital cameras and flashing going on.

Somebody should keep track next Oasis on how many gallons of Rum we consume in a weekend. Maybe a Giness book record!!?? Man!! My kidneys hurt!!

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation