FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 1:41 pm   Permalink

""I didn't know white people had their own culture!" she exclaimed. "They don't - that's the point," I said"

WTF?

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-05-18 14:06 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 2:44 pm   Permalink

Well, there's Garth Brooks. And Britney Spears and "Friends." Sorry, no offense. I just forgot about those.

If white people really have their "own" culture, I wish they'd show it by pulling up their baggy pants over those pasty butt cracks, turning around their baseball caps and no longer calling each other "dog."

Anyway, I don't mean to step on any ivory toes out there. I have my own, too. My point is there is argument in every subculture about what the purest form of its expression should be - just like in religions, or politics - and Tiki is no exception. Everyone should abide by whatever works for them. I have no problem with what anyone else does or thinks. I book film noir festivals every year and often get flak about what is "noir" and what "isn't," but since it's my festival, I book it as I see fit. Ditto Japanese monster movies - I have good friends who get seriously offended when someone laughs inappropriately at one of them (!?), or when I book a dubbed print over a subtitled print, inviting this so-called derision. Whatever.

To each their own.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 3:09 pm   Permalink

Keep digging...

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If white people really have their "own" culture, I wish they'd show it by pulling up their baggy pants over those pasty butt cracks,

Ah, so these guys around the Tropics Jacuzzi Saturday night were celebrating White Culture Week?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 6:49 pm   Permalink

Polynesian Pop's post outlined five criticisms, each direct and to the point.
Let's review

1. Organization
2. Parking
3. Pets
4. Keeping it Tiki
5. Scumbags

It seems stating this has at least shocked or angered some readers. By Adrian's own admission this is "THE event of the year", he should be able to voice his opinion without people taking it personally. I agree with everything he said (except the pets, I like Baxdog), and it is not my intention of angering anyone who does disagree. Personally, I would like a "more organized event, with better parking, more Tikis and less scumbags". IMO.

Otto, who doesn't really know me, has been a GREAT help to me in past Tiki Oasis events. I mean him or Doe no disrespect, I love the Oasis, and I will attend future events enthusiastically. You do good work, you two.

Some of us were griping after the event and Adrian was the only one to post things that there was consensus about. As it is, we left PolyPop hanging and he got the brunt of the critical replys leveled at him directly. I apologize, Adrian. I have your back to the end.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 6:49 pm   Permalink

AquaZombie,

Thanks for that nice piece of rabid stereotyping. One question: Did you flagellate yourself before or after posting it?

To you I dedicate this poem:

"THE MODERN MANS LITANY"

by Charles J. Nohai

I Apologize for:

All the Indians I have killed,
All the slaves I have owned,
All the Women I have oppressed
and
All the Mexicans from whom I have stolen land.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-18 18:49, Alnshely wrote:
Polynesian Pop's post outlined five criticisms, each direct and to the point.
Let's review

1. Organization
2. Parking
3. Pets
4. Keeping it Tiki
5. Scumbags

It seems stating this has at least shocked or angered some readers. By Adrian's own admission this is "THE event of the year", he should be able to voice his opinion without people taking it personally. Mahalo,
Al

For Mr Smiley, though, The Event of the Year is the......HUKILAU!!!!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 10:31 pm   Permalink

I think some of you really need to lighten up. So to speak. You're taking the whole thing way more seriously than I am, but that's your choice. Man, you honkies can be SO touchy!

Oh yea - anyone who accuses me of "racial stereotyping" is not "digging" what I said in the slightest. I don't know why I even bother to delve into subjects any deeper than a tiki mug in a chat room. C'mon - your basic tiki bar in the 50s served CHINESE food. I don't know who would laugh harder at that - Hawaiians or Chinese. I thought we all were hip to the fact we're co-opting other cultures for our own amusement. I never said it was a bad thing, either. But it's a very obvious fact. I didn't make it up and I am far from the first to acknowledge it. I mean, big whoop already.

When Tiki Central turns into Geeky Central, I say a big fat Aloha. If you guys n gals can't take a little un-PC humor (while pointing out some widely observed truths), count me out. I may be aesthetically regressive, but I am socially progressive. And I take a joke at my own expense. But again, sincerely, sorry if I offended anyone. And I won't bring up the controversial cultural history of "Tiki" again, at least not around here.

BTW, I don't have to self-flagelate, I am a happily married man.

[ This Message was edited by: AquaZombie on 2004-05-18 23:26 ]

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheTikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-18 11:06 pm   Permalink

Mahalo "Centralites" What an awesome time. Myself and Ali always look forward to returning to our annual Oasis getaway in the desert. We really enjoyed seeing all of our friends that have really become extended family. I just think to myself what the month of May would be without Tiki Oasis or the Caliente.....Thank God for both!! Otto and Baby Doe...luv ya guys...you both did an outstanding job. Holden did a fantastic job with vendor coordination. Al and King, the (2) hardest working KUKU Nuts in showbiz. Baxdog....well what can you say. The stage would not have been built without his McGyver bag of tools. Casey was a wonderful host as always. My straw hat off to Matt for the volunteer coordination. VIVA TIKI OASIS V
-TheTIKIGuy (Angelo & Ali)

View Profile of TheTikiGuy Send a personal message to TheTikiGuy  Email TheTikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 11:33 pm   Permalink

Let's put this baby to bed, shall we?

I know Poly-Pop meant no harm, nor toes stepped on. Nor anyone else. So, here's what you do. Next time, drop an email to Otto and Baby Doe and tell them how you think things could be improved, rather than putting it here. Tell them what you loved as well.

Do the same at Hukilau.

When we got home from Hukilau last year, we asked Casey and Otto to give us their thoughts. We asked because we cared about their opinion and we wanted to hear what might have been fixed. Those guys would accept the same and then it doesn't become a public airing of laundry that this has become.

So, if you want to send a message to them about Tiki Oasis, send it to them. Don't post on a public board. Now don't think I am bashing Poly-Pop again here. I am not. I am just suggesting that in the future, we try not to post negative about our own ohana like this. This group is close enough we can speak directly.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 12:35 am   Permalink

AquaZombie - So much can be said in response to your opinions. No one is going to bite because this is not the place for a flame war. I reckon you get the last (BB) word.

Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 12:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-18 23:33, Swanky wrote:

So, if you want to send a message to them about Tiki Oasis, send it to them. Don't post on a public board.

OK !! Let's all just send personal messages to each other !! I know what you're trying to say Swanky, but c'mon you guys, what's up with all the fuss ?!
PolyPop made some great points, as did a lot of members. I didn't interpret that as stepping on anybody's toes. The controversy centered around the Burlesque dancers and whether that was "Tiki" or not. Reading the last 13 pages, it's obvious there are 2 schools of thought on what encompasses "Tiki". Personaly, I agree with Aquazombie. Most Hawaiians would be downright offended by what we regard as "Polynesian" That's OK ! The Tiki we celebrate is hardly polynesian, it's American !! Just like the Caucasian Jungle Princesses on Exotica LP covers!!
The point is we don't all have to agree !! I have no problem with the burlesque, PolyPop does. That 's OK !! That is what this forum is all about. The problem starts when posts get personal - as they did against AquaZombie.

Post your opinion, don't attack others for theirs !!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-19 05:33 am   Permalink

Here goes the official launching of the U.S.S. BaxDog Chinese Junk Barge complete with poopdeck water blastercannon mate ready to use his watercannon to propel the U.S.S. BaxDog to Hyperdrive. Snicker and sneer provided by our one and only Atomic Cocktail.

That pic is too funny............... sorry bax........ I couldn't resist

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-19 05:34 am   Permalink

crap it didnt come out!!!

Back to the drawring board

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 08:12 am   Permalink

Can we please go back and Critique
International TIKI Day #1
It is so on topic
And I feel like I need some feed back
Can someone tell the Hawaiians that are living at my house still, that this is not their homeland, I just made it up!!
And just write to so as not to dirty up the board.
And send it to me pony express cause that is the way we used to do it.

OK, back to the subject matter at hand.
Oasis= really fun
critique= maybe more fun next time
Taking it personally= STUPID
BYE BYE!!

Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation