[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mai-Tai's en masse
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Mai-Tai's en masse
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 6:54 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone,
I don't want to get stuck behind the bar measuring out Mai-Tai's one at a time. So, does anyone have a good method or recipe for making up a lot of Mai-Tai's for a party?
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrFunk75
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-10 7:11 pm   Permalink

Tiki Royale,
This is exactly what I have been trying to figure out. I have a friend who used to own a Chinese restaurant in Newburyport, but he won't reveal his secret because he still makes the mix for the bar that he owns now. He actually makes the pre-mix down in the basement of the restaurant. They actually taste pretty good, too! I have watched the bartender at the Hawaiian Isle in Plaistow, NH make the maitai pre-mix behind the bar. They start by using a rinsed out bottle of Fee's orgeat syrup. He poured a whole bottle of bols orange curacao into it and then filled the rest with orgeat syrup. When you order one they take a double old fashioned glass and fill it with crushed ice. Then they add light and dark rum, the pre-mix, timmy's sour mix, and a quarter of a lime, squeezed. Then he will just shake it up. I have tried duplicating this at home, but for some reason I cannot get them to taste exactly the same. Perhaps someone will know exactly how to do this!

View Profile of DrFunk75 Send a personal message to DrFunk75      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 8:37 pm   Permalink

It's more expensive, but one safe route; Trader Vics mai tai mix with (only) fresh limes.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-11 08:35 am   Permalink

In one bottle: fresh lime juice

In another bottle: orgeat, orange curacao, and simple syrup in correct proportions.

In a third bottle: aged Jamaican and aged martinique in equal proportions.

Take 1-1.5 oz of bottle 1, 1 oz of bottle 2, and 2 oz of bottle three.

It works pretty darn well. Any leftover rum combo will have to be consumed in mai tais.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 4:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Martin.
I was contemplating making a "Giant" Mai-Tai. Maybe using a cup instead of an ounce to measure and mixing everything in a big jug and then just pouring over ice as needed. Might this work or would it be a "Giant" mess?
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-11 10:53 pm   Permalink

If it's just going to be premixed and cold in a jar and poured over ice, you'll want to add a little water to the mix to simulate the water that would be added to it in a shaker with ice. Otherwise, it will taste a little "concentrated".

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-12 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-11 08:35, martiki wrote:

In another bottle: orgeat, orange curacao, and simple syrup in correct proportions.

Would you share the correct proportions ?

View Profile of boingo Send a personal message to boingo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Brad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-12 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-10 20:37, Unga Bunga wrote:
It's more expensive, but one safe route; Trader Vics mai tai mix with (only) fresh limes.

I agree. For making a large batch, you can't go wrong here.

View Profile of Tiki Brad Send a personal message to Tiki Brad  Email Tiki Brad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-12 5:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 12:03, boingo wrote:
Quote:

Would you share the correct proportions ?

generally .5 oz orange curacao, .25 oz simple syrup, .25 oz orgeat.

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-11 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

In one bottle: fresh lime juice

In a third bottle: aged Jamaican and aged martinique in equal proportions.

Take 1-1.5 oz of bottle 1, 1 oz of bottle 2, and 2 oz of bottle three.

It works pretty darn well. Any leftover rum combo will have to be consumed in mai tais.

What's the key to mixing the rums separately from the orgeat mix?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 2:33 pm   Permalink

Assuming that is just to minimize the potential for wasting good rum if you don't go through the whole batch of premixed cocktail during whatever event you are serving it up for.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 2:48 pm   Permalink

Right. And you definitely don't want to mix in the lime until you're ready to serve. Juice goes off fast.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 8:09 pm   Permalink

You should be able to dump everything together right before the party, I would let the liquor / rum (VSOP and V/X and Curacao) sit overnight to "blend" in the serving pitcher - 2 bottles each rum and 1 orange curacao

About 2 hours ahead of time I would do the lime juice and then add the orgeat - do not add ice to the mixture

Have a ice chest with bags of Sonic Ice in it for guests to fill their glass with ice, while the serving container sits at room temp, and that will give you the dilution you are looking for

Have mint sprigs in a cup for guests to add

Very easy to do, I would use Small Hand Foods Orgeat and use .5 in place of the simple

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 6:36 pm   Permalink

A good friend has the theory that lime does not scale up well, and after many an experiment, I agree with him. If you do make a "batch of Mai Tais" hold back on what would be considered the full amount of lime, say about 75% of what would be otherwise called for. Taste the result. At that point you can adjust your lime upward, if needed, without ruining a whole batch of Mai Tais by over-liming.

Also, as Martin mentioned, if you don't or can't shake the batches, adding a touch of water compensates for the unstated ingredient of every drink shaken with ice. I have a bottle at the bar labeled "Melt" for these batch mixing occasions.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 12:16 am   Permalink

Oh! my bad. I thought the title of this post said Mai Tai’s in mass.I was changing my plans for Sunday morning.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation