FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Humphrey's Half Moon & Suites, San Diego, CA (hotel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Humphrey's Half Moon & Suites, San Diego, CA (hotel)
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 8:35 pm   Permalink

Name:Humphrey's Half Moon & Suites
Type:hotel
Street:2303 Shelter Island Dr.
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:92106
Phone:800-784-1180

Description:
This is a large hotel (two stories, 182 rooms) on Shelter Island, built in 1960 with heavily Polynesian touches in accordance with the Harber Department's requirement that all structures on the artificial island be Polynesian in appearance. Room prices start at about $96. There is a good article about the place's history at
http://www.thelog.com/special/specialview.asp?c=75577

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 8:41 pm   Permalink

Here is a night photo of the portico I shot in early May of 2004.

Here are two of the tiki poles. This post is an April 2007 restoration of Shutterfly photos and I no longer remember the poles' exact placement, but one was in the pool area and shot from outside the pool fence.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope 2007-04-19 22:23 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 3:07 pm   Permalink

Wow. Three years since the last post in this thread. Well...let's bump this puppy back up. It's such a nice place even to this day...it deserves a bit more memorabilia.

Our family used to stay at the Half Moon Inn back in the mid 1960's thru the early 70's when we would visit relatives in San Diego once each Summer. My folks made it sort of a mini-vacation (we lived in Costa Mesa, CA...so it wasn't like it was a long ways away). We thought we were on some exotic tropical isle...and in a way...we were! Some of my fondest memories growing up revolve around that huge wonderful pool and all the fellow outta-town teenage girls we'd hook up with there.

In 1973 at age 18, I stayed there for the first time as an adult with a new girlfriend of mine. I don't remember much of the hotel or grounds from that trip other than I believe they might have created too much of a romantic atmosphere! I don't think we ever left the room! But on the many subsequent trips over the years, I did get to enjoy the hotel facilities a bit more again.

Anyway...going through an old scrapbook from the times (yes, we used to do cut-and-paste scrapbooks)...comes this brochure from 1973 during the second year that Sheraton owned and operated the hotel:

Those that actually read the brochure text above may note that it rather optimistically states the hotel is only a 3 1/2 hour flight from New York!!!

That would be corrected in this next one from 1976...still the Sheraton years:

Aah. We're up to a more realistic 4 1/2 hour flight now.

And I've got the rate card and map from that 1976 one:

Also you can see this was during the period that today's "Humphrey's" restaurant was known as the "Port Royale Restaurant."

I find it also interesting that in the early 1970's...the hotel's marketing folks favored a very colorful photo of the Putting Green, with a happy Aloha Shirted guest being assisted by two lovely Eye Caddies who obviously know how to handle a putter...

...and yet a few years later they somehow favored a rather lifeless substitution shot...

Boring! What happened to the bikini babes? With crummy shots like that, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheraton's business slowed, and they sold the hotel (which they eventually did).

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 06:35 am   Permalink

Here's an old ashtray I had laying around. Not sure of the age of it.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-13 15:07, PremEx wrote:
Boring! What happened to the bikini babes?

Political correctness, that's what happened!

Here is an interesting piece of Shelter Island history: As evidenced by this architectural rendering, the Half Moon Inn initially was supposed to house a Steve Crane Ports of Call, as other Sheratons did. Now that would have been an added bonus!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 1:17 pm   Permalink

I know it would make the cost of Tiki Oasis weekend way more.
But I really thing that it should be held here, now that Hanalei is a shadow of its former self.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 9:37 pm   Permalink

Here's a postcard I just found (circa 1985 according to the postmark):

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 10:32 am   Permalink

Just posting their web site address...for the Google impaired.

www.halfmooninn.com

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 11:11 am   Permalink

..how is the tiki decor in the place?? is it still intact or do we start callin' this place "humprhey's half-ass inn"??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 11:43 am   Permalink

Interior-wise, it always had a low TIPSY factor (like, nil), but there are some around the pool, they even took some over from the Kona Kai Club down the street, when they obliterated that and turned it "Mediterranean" style (how unique!)

Humphrey's restaurant, L'Escale (initially the "Tahiti", BOT p. 134), not only...

...featured an imposing A-frame...

...but also had outrigger beams, Tiki torches and a Tiki outside...

...yet the inside was decidedly mid-century modern!

Now, kids, who wants a time machine ?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-04-18 13:32 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 11:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-18 11:11, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..how is the tiki decor in the place?? is it still intact or do we start callin' this place "humprhey's half-ass inn"??

There are several mentions of tikis on the grounds in this old thread...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15921

...but unfortunately, all the photo images are now dead links.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-18 11:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Now, kids, who wants a time machine ?

Me, me, ME! <stomps foot> I want a time machine Daddy, and I want it NOW!!

God, that place must have been amazing...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 1:17 pm   Permalink

There are a whole mess o' pics I took back in 2003, plus an old matchbook from Cherry Capri, in Critiki:

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=151

If you want to see more pictures from my trip to San Diego, there's a ton here:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/thanksgivingsandiego/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 10:27 pm   Permalink

PremEx, you inspired me to restore the ex-Shutterfly pics at the top of this thread.

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 12:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-19 22:27, tikijackalope wrote:
PremEx, you inspired me to restore the ex-Shutterfly pics at the top of this thread.

Hey...Thanks! And to all the others that have posted pictures and links too!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation