FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The stuff at the back of the liquor cabinet...revisited!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The stuff at the back of the liquor cabinet...revisited!
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 5:04 pm   Permalink

I knew there was a similar topic a while ago on TC but now that we have a drink forum it would be interesting to revisit the discussion...What are the odd bottles that lurk in the shadows beneath the well-worn rum shelf? What are those bottles that take up space yet still have seals intact with odd or unfamiliar names emblazoned on their dusty labels? The last time this topic was in full swing I was actually able to identify a bottle of Zoco, a liquer from Spain, and was offered some recipes that ended up being rather delightful. Please share your mystery bottles and maybe, just maybe, someone out there can enlighten us all to the contents of said bottles and more importantly, what in the hell to do with it!

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2004-05-14 08:37 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-14 08:36 am   Permalink

The original topic...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=1067&forum=1

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 8:01 pm   Permalink

This looks like a good discussion to dig up from the depths.......

And here is the bottle I have that needs some help....

I got this because of a recipe I found for a Mixology Monday, but now I can't find the link. And, I have the bottle drifting further and further back into the dark places under my bar....

Any suggestions?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 8:53 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine bought some Strega back from a holiday last year and i tried some on the rocks.Definately an aquired taste.Very bitter,from memory.If you like Campari neat you'd probably like this.Don't have any recipes for it though.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 08:08 am   Permalink

They are opened, but dwindling slowly...

I have a bottle of Creme de Noyaux that I can't seem to get rid of. It's Hiram Walker, I believe. That's made from walnuts, right? As much as I try, I can't seem to think of it as anything more than a less flavorful Amaretto.

Also, I have a bottle of Lychee liqueur. It sounds great, tastes awful. If you put anything more than a couple drops of it in a cocktail, it makes it taste like medicine. If anyone's interested, though, I can go rummage around and come up with the brand name.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 3:08 pm   Permalink

I agree about the Lychee liqueur.Very potent stuff.I was very happy when i finally finished the bottle.Wont be buying that again.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oysterschnapps
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-18 10:17 pm   Permalink

I always keep Strega on hand, and it has been the downfall of more than one party guest. It always tastes better after you've had a few drinks. I've read that this is the liqueur that they drink in the Godfather novels, although I haven't read them myself to confirm...

The "black sheep" in the back of my liquor cabinet is Midori. It has a nice flavor, but somehow it's not particularly useful in anything. Suggestions are welcome.

...now that I look, you can also help me figure out what to do with Cynar, Fernet Branca, Jeppson's Malort, Hpnotiq, Xtabentun, Chateau Pomari, and Frangelico.

View Profile of oysterschnapps Send a personal message to oysterschnapps      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 11:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:17, oysterschnapps wrote:
The "black sheep" in the back of my liquor cabinet is Midori. It has a nice flavor, but somehow it's not particularly useful in anything. Suggestions are welcome.

Put 1 oz. Midori, 2 oz. vodka or white rum in a large glass. Maybe add a squeeze of lemon and some bar syrup. Fill with ice and top with club soda. That honeydew melon flavor makes for a refreshing hot weather, cooler-type drink.
Have the Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur) with after-dinner coffee, on the side in a little cordial or shot glass. If you don't drink coffee, pour an ounce or two over a bowl of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Also, you can take 1 oz. Frangelico, 1 to 2 oz. of white or gold rum, and an ounce or so of cream, shake with ice. Sort of like a variation on a White Russian.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-08-18 23:46 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 9:09 pm   Permalink

Here is a recipe I made using Midori, for a Day of the Dead party http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17053&forum=10&vpost=195154

[ This Message was edited by: Mano Tiki Tia 2008-08-19 21:10 ]

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 11:04 pm   Permalink

Can anyone help me out with these? A couple are definite odd-balls!

Mangalore - I bought this hoping it would be pimento liquor. "...the flavour of the Indian coasts of Malabar, in which cinnamon and cardamom are blended to smooth out the pepper."

Yeni Raki (from Turkey, similar to ouzo)
Hallelujah (from Israel)

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 07:15 am   Permalink

Try a "Watermelon Shooter" I saw a bartender mix one once:

It has creme de noyax and Midori in it (try and look it up online)
I also remember it having pineapple or sours mix too

It's shooter and it tastes like watermelon what more do you need.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 07:46 am   Permalink

The Reni Raki is traditionally consumed while eating fresh fruit. Mix half Reni and half water. This will cloud the drink and sip. The key to total enjoyment is the fresh fruit and lots of it, mellon, orange slices, strawberries etc...the natural sugars in the fruit mix well with the alcohol keeping you from getting sick from drinking.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 06:57 am   Permalink

I've got a bottle of Balinese arak that I don't know what to do with. Any suggestions?

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:17, oysterschnapps wrote:
...now that I look, you can also help me figure out what to do with Hpnotiq.

Blue Randola*

Equal parts
pineapple juice
Hpnotiq
coconut rum

Shake over ice strain into martini glass

* I'm sure it has an actual name but I've forgotten it. It's my friend's favorite (nickname of affection is Randola) so we call it the Randola. If it's made with Hpnotiq it's blue. If you use another passionfruit liqueur it becomes a Gold Randola or Green Randola.

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oysterschnapps
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-22 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-22 09:42, Naneki wrote:
Blue Randola*

Equal parts
pineapple juice
Hpnotiq
coconut rum

Shake over ice strain into martini glass

Add a half-part grapefruit juice and you've got a winner. I love it.

View Profile of oysterschnapps Send a personal message to oysterschnapps      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation