FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The stuff at the back of the liquor cabinet...revisited!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The stuff at the back of the liquor cabinet...revisited!
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-09 10:09 pm   Permalink

Strega is an herbal liqueur, similar in a sense to Benedictine in that it is herbal, sweet too, and has a bit of a bite. But it isn't bitter like Cynar or Campari. I enjoy it mixed with soda. The old (fake, but I like it) legend is that Strega, which means Witch, has been bewitched, and two lovers who drink of it together will fall in love forever. I like a dose of magic in my drinks!

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 08:17 am   Permalink

Anyone have bottles in your cabinet old enough to have the old paper tax seal across the top?
I'll have to do an inventory, and take a "group picture", but I know I have 2 500 ml bottles of St. James Rhum with the seal, that I bought in the early 80's. I have a Bols Dutch Chocolate Liqueur and some other liqueurs. And a few months ago, I found this in the pantry at an estate sale:

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-03-11 08:19 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arobinson19
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-25 05:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:17, oysterschnapps wrote:
I always keep Strega on hand, and it has been the downfall of more than one party guest. It always tastes better after you've had a few drinks. I've read that this is the liqueur that they drink in the Godfather novels, although I haven't read them myself to confirm...

The "black sheep" in the back of my liquor cabinet is Midori. It has a nice flavor, but somehow it's not particularly useful in anything. Suggestions are welcome.

...now that I look, you can also help me figure out what to do with Cynar, Fernet Branca, Jeppson's Malort, Hpnotiq, Xtabentun, Chateau Pomari, and Frangelico.

try my recipe for a honolulu hand grenade. that has midori in it. pearl harbors are also pretty good. just 1 oz of vodka 1/2 oz of midori and oj. theres a polynesian place in my town that serves these. my girlfriends sister always rodersthem and one day asked me how to make them.

View Profile of arobinson19 Send a personal message to arobinson19  Email arobinson19     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 02:05 am   Permalink

Hypnotiq: Cognac-based liqueur. No offense intended in this, but it was aggressively marketed to the African-American community, apparently due to an opinion that cognac is popular in that part of the market. Interesting stuff, a Seattle bar (Noc Noc) uses it in a number of tasty mixed drinks.

Frangelico: Very sweet hazelnut liqueur. Probably mixes well with cream liqueurs, definately goes in coffee. I drink it neat, warmed in a snifter.

Fernet branca, Cynar: Acquired tastes, very bitter, but not AS bitter as, say, Campari. Good neat over ice, or half-and-half with soda water. If you like bitter things, you'll enjoy these. Cynar tends to be inexpensive, and is made from a part of the artichoke, though not the flower portion we usually eat.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 02:11 am   Permalink

And yes, I too have some bottles with the paper tax stamp - all vintage, unopened (until now) but all of which I bought recently: 70s-vintage Yellow Chartreuse, Benedictine, and DeKuyper brand white Creme de Cacao, Cherry Liqueur, and Harvest Pear Schnapps (this last one is definately early 80s). All but the Chartreuse have been tested, and all are very much drinkable still - in fact, they're wonderful.

If your state allows independent liquor stores, go find the dumpiest, dustiest joints, places that look like they do little business, and hunt the shelves at the bottom, behind other items, or at the far back ends where few people go. Also look behind the counter, since things there must be fetched by the employee, thus might just sit there if no one asks for them. You can also ask if they've got any old stock. Most I've been to in California will honor old prices on the labels.

tikipenguin

Posted: 2009-04-08 11:48 am   Permalink

oysterschnapps: A very simple but effective way to use up your Midori is to turn it into a Sour. I use plenty of lemon and lime juice and balance with the merest touch of sugar syrup if necessary.

View Profile of tikipenguin Send a personal message to tikipenguin  Goto the website of tikipenguin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-14 05:36 am   Permalink

More Midori: see this thread.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation