[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Killing Magellan
Killing Magellan
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 6:31 pm   Permalink

Killing Magellan
Village Chieftain Lapu-Lapu raises his arms in triumph after killing Magellan during a re-enactment commemorating the 483rd anniversary of Magellan's death. Tuesdays event in the Phillipines highlights the first Filipino resistance to foreign invaders. AP photo

From Beachbum Berry's Grog Log
"Chief Lapu Lapu"

3 Oz orange juice
3 Oz sweet and sour
1 Oz passion fruit syrup
1 1/2 Oz dark Jamaican rum
1 1/2 Oz light Peurto Rican rum
Shake with ice cubes and pour into a large snifter partly filled with more ice cubes.

"circa 1950s. Who does a guy have to kill to get a drink named after him? In the case of Chief Lapu Lapu, it was a simple matter of wasting Magellan when the great Spanish navigator dropped anchor in the Phillipines in 1521"

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-05-13 18:33 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 7:40 pm   Permalink

Al,
That guy who looks like he's waisted in the water, kinda looks like you. You sure that's not an old Tiki Oasis photo? (Time to buy a new hat,too)
I love knowing the history of a drink. THANKS!
Who makes a better Lapu Lapu, you or Bongster?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-14 1:09 pm   Permalink

The Lapu Lapu really comes alive (much like Frampton) if you use fresh sweet and sour. About a hundred times better. I use a sweet & sour recipe I got from Al.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-14 1:18 pm   Permalink

Lapu Lapu has got be one my top favorites from the Grog Log. As a matter of fact, I had one last night, served up in my Mr. Bali Hai mug....umm...tastey

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-14 3:42 pm   Permalink

And who can beat a drink named after a guy who clubbed a Conquistador on the gourd? At least that's what you'll feel like if you imbibe in too many.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 3:52 pm   Permalink

I can relate...I felt clubbed (in a good way) after drinking one of Bong's Lapu Lapu. "Thank you sir may I have another...pleeze".

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation