FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis Dive-In Movie: Anybody Notice?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Oasis Dive-In Movie: Anybody Notice?
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-14 8:23 pm   Permalink

Save the Dive-in Movie! It's just fun! Try something different each year, but don't scrap it.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-14 10:11 pm   Permalink

Casey - if the Tropics had a built-in set up for poolside screenings we could just slide into when we take over, that would be ideal, then we could just concentrate on coming up with suitable and affordable programs. I also agree - as someone who does PR and programming for a living - that doing a dive-in year round would be a unique selling point for your place. If you need advice on what you can show without paying for it, shoot me an email. It would also be great to show stuff like Elvis movies, for instance, but those might get pricey. Still, for special ocassions, the few hundred bucks for studio permission - and some studios, like Sony, are easier to deal with than others - might prove cost effective, it depends on your overhead for any given event, and what you're trying to achieve.

BTW, The Reef is terrific. Great decor and good drinks. Personally I love the Conga Lounge's concept of showing compilation tapes of various "tiki scenes" from movie and tv shows behind the bar, and they would make great background noise for the pool parties, too.

Also, for next time - more B movie trivia with prizes and the Tiki Goddess "Thrillville" style before the Oasis dive-in, or no, or whatever, you can take it or leave it?

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-15 4:09 pm   Permalink

We will invest in a large screen for next year so at least that will be solved! Thanks to Will the Thrill and Monica the Tiki Goddess for hosting the movie this year! It will be great to have them back next year!

Yes please NO tv's in the Reef bar!

XOXO Baby Doe

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-15 11:30 pm   Permalink

AquaZombie-

Great information! I am going to ask our P.R. person to email you (that's Judy).

Mahalo!

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wersmo Derinc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 3:51 pm   Permalink

One thing has not been mentioned in the comparison of this year's dive-in and last year's. Last year Atomic Cocktail (AKA Charles) did his impression of Sven doing a slide show. It was hysterically funny and would be almost impossible to repeat. Following that performance with an episode of Hawaiian Eye (with the glow in the dark underwater mask as the scary part) was very entertaining.

Personally, I like the dive-in and would sorely miss it if it was gone.

View Profile of Wersmo Derinc Send a personal message to Wersmo Derinc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 10:53 pm   Permalink

Tikibot and jackass were blocking my view too. Scrimshaw, the barge is on our garage. I got the flu from the pool. I too like yelling hawaiian eeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyeee!
keep the movie!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 5:38 pm   Permalink

Ok, fate conspired against me and I didn't get to Tiki Oasis this year (so sad!) but I loved, loved, loved the Dive-In movie last year. I put on my wahini-bikini and suffered through 90% of the film in true style IN THE POOL (10% jammed into the hot tub with many new , "close" friends). Don't let it go! I promise to stay the WHOLE movie in the pool next year if you promise to keep the Dive-in movie alive.

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-23 11:00 pm   Permalink

Keep the drive in movie. Kill those with floating barges.

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 01:23 am   Permalink

The Dive-In movie was initially Kevin Kidney's concept, fuelled by his love for 50s/60s Poly Pop TV shows like Hawaiian Eye and Adventures in paradise. He has amassed an amazing collection of 16 mm prints from those shows and other random Hawaiian shorts that he still shows at Tiki Taix.

His involvment was voluntary and for free, but he regretfully had to ask for a collection when he found out that Warner Brothers asks for a licence fee when screening any of their old TV stuff publicly.
This, plus the shuffeling of the screening schedule, combined with the fact that Spring Break-like drunks splashed water on his fragile 16 mm prints made it less fun for him to get involved, which I totally understand.

To me, a slick video screen does not compare to the clanky quality of an old film projector, and moves the whole idea closer to the generic "let's just party and get drunk" type event. But that is just my personal purist aesthetic, I understand that it might not be practical.
As Baby Doe said, this event is based on a lot of voluntary involvement, which is always appreciated in whatever form, and should not be taken for granted or demanded as such.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation