FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Elvis or Beatles ??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Elvis or Beatles ??
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 7:59 pm   Permalink

James Brown!

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 8:22 pm   Permalink

Have to mention the other influences too:

Charlie Christian, T-Bone Walker, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BaronV
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-19 9:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-19 19:59, susane wrote:
James Brown!

Ditto.

View Profile of BaronV Send a personal message to BaronV  Email BaronV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 12:17 am   Permalink

Rolling Stones!

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 03:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-20 00:17, Selector Lopaka wrote:
Rolling Stones!

Yup! They liked him too...

http://www.timeisonourside.com/STSoul.html

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-19 19:43, Stratiki wrote:
Welllll...Silly argument, but, Jab I believe the quote you are referring to was by John Lennon and he said ( upon being asked his reaction to Elvis' death), "Elvis died when he went in the army." Perfect, cynical Lennon, right on, loved the guy. Me. I'm off to Strat Land...

Actually I never heard that quote, but I don't really pay attention to what Lennon said anyhow. I liked them better in the early 60s when everything they said in interviews was funny!

Klas - How could I leave out the Girl Groups?! Some of those songs by the Crystals, Ronnettes, and Shangri-la's send shivers down my spine. They were the important link between Doo Wop and the Motown Sound. And the songwriting was amazing.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stratiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-21 08:39 am   Permalink

Funny how links in music occur. I recently worked a Snoop Dog show up here in Kanada and was struck by the very connection you speak of. His horn section and drummer and keys etc, in other words a real band were all over Motown and brought a cool vibe to his otherwise pointless stoned shenanigans. It sounded like New Motown. Mixing genres like that can be quite interesting, thus the link to those Girl Groups of the 60's and whoever wrote produced and arranged and played them.

View Profile of Stratiki Send a personal message to Stratiki  Email Stratiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 08:58 am   Permalink

don't fergit "beatles" was a play off of "buddy holly and the _crickets_" and buddy's influences were C&W and R&B, which created a mix of "hillybilly" and "black" music.

ah, the seven degrees of kevin bacon.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 11:14 am   Permalink

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I never liked Elvis. I used to like the Beatles, but the fact that Paul McCartney just wont go away is curing me of that. Buddy's damn annoying, what with his facelift and comeback tours and whatnot.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stratiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-21 11:27 am   Permalink

Yea, Buddy at the ACC was a waste of time...someones anyway. But I disagree about the lift.

View Profile of Stratiki Send a personal message to Stratiki  Email Stratiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 2:23 pm   Permalink

I always thought the Beatles were way overrated as a group and I just thought of them as a bunch of damn hippies. That is, of course until I bought the Carl Perkins DVD that was on HBO back in the eighties where Harrison and Ringo are there jamming with him. George Harrison is a huge legend at that point and he's just staring at Carl Perkins like he's some kinda god. That was so rad. Harrison is a hell of a guitar player himself but Perkins is untouchable in his own style. Mcartney put out a rockabilly record like six years ago. The Beatles were built on rockabilly.

Anyway, I still think as a band they are a bunch of damn hippies that sing flower child non-sense (except for that song "While my Slowly Guitar Weeps", that one's pretty cool).

So after all that, are you kidding?
Elvis built the house, the Beatles just played there for awhile.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 3:33 pm   Permalink

The King.

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-23 11:32 am   Permalink

Elvis. Music you can sing with.....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-23 11:48 am   Permalink

THE BOMBORAS! Head Shrinkin' Fun!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 07:34 am   Permalink

link wray and dick dale...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation