FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Elvis or Beatles ??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Elvis or Beatles ??
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 3:49 pm   Permalink

Music started with either Black Flag or Mission of Burma.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-27 3:53 pm   Permalink

BEATLES!

Some of you already mention them; So now let's take it to the next step... Beatles or the Stones?

P.S. You already know my answer.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 01:41 am   Permalink

"Never trust anyone who doesn't like the Beatles" is an adage I tried to live my life by...
But f*ck me...Elvis Is pretty damn cool too. Ain't he?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 12:24 pm   Permalink

I've always lived by "never trust a baby boomer"....

Matt

Quote:

On 2004-05-28 01:41, Slacks Ferret wrote:
"Never trust anyone who doesn't like the Beatles" is an adage I tried to live my life by...
But f*ck me...Elvis Is pretty damn cool too. Ain't he?

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 1:17 pm   Permalink

Like Trader Vic once said, "Anybody that doesn't like The Beatles is a dirty stinker".

Or something like that.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-28 13:17, MachTiki wrote:
Like Trader Vic once said, "Anybody that doesn't like The Beatles is a dirty stinker".

The Beatles went around picking up classic yet unused tunes the way early explorers would discover plants and animals unknown to Europeans. The right band at the right time. Elvis was more of a force of nature - couldn't write a note himself but hotwired the world to a more 'pelvic' way of thinking. Both were essential to the way music was shaped forever for good or ill.

Incidentally, my father-in-law went to school with Paul McCartney and George Harrison. He's got a great old photo of all the kids lined up, and you can pick out Paul & George a mile off.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 1:35 pm   Permalink

scan and post! scan and post!

my favourite quote from "a hard day's night":

"he's very clean..."

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-28 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-28 13:35, Johnny Dollar wrote:
scan and post! scan and post!

Unfortunately it's about 3 foot long and I don't have a scanner. I'm sure the close-ups have been used a million times, though. (?) Anyway, I'll try to get someone to scan bit's of it as it's pretty funny. My Mother-in-law was a regular at the Cavern and saw the Beatles loads of times. She wishes she'd brought a camera along!

On my side of the family, my mum invited her sisters down to London back in the 60's and were walking through Picadilly Circus when a mini (very small car) stopped at the traffic lights. The Beatles were inside. No doubt the requisite screams & fainting fits soon followed.

Trader Woody

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 02:27 am   Permalink

kind of relevant to the thread. Not a bad find for $50.

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-07-13 02:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-07-13 02:30 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 03:25 am   Permalink

My mum has the autographs of all five Beatles together on one sheet but she doesn't know where they are! Anyway acoupla months ago they had agreatest album of all time thing going on the BBC and it came to be between Sgt Peppers and Pet sounds. I'm English yet I go with the BB's.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 10:09 am   Permalink

If I could only listen to one or the other I'd go Beatles. But, the Revillos (Rezillos) are (were) great! You Cali folks are lucky, I heard they may re-form and do a few shows over that way. Don't miss'em!

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 11:45 pm   Permalink

Elvis was the first wigger, and I mean that in the best possible way. He altered the music scene, almost single handedly, taking it from a derivative sub-genre to music for all races. Kinda like a reverse Jackie Robinson.

The Beatles were as much the role models for a generation as they were rock stars. They became a social movement at the time.

Both Elvis and the Beatles were epic.

I think more people identified in a personal way with the Fab Four.

I like both, but I play my Beatles records more than my Elvis records.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation