FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grogalizer is back!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Grogalizer is back!
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 11:45 am   Permalink

Hey fellow mixologists. I have some good things in the works. I could not wait to share.

I am working on a new website for those of us who mix from the Grog Log and Intoxica. It will be the companion to the books.

You will sign in and there will be a page with all the ingredients from all the recipes. You click on the ones you have, and then it will give you a list of all the recipes you can make, and what page they are on in the book! No more hunting!

Plus, you will be able to rate the recipes 1-10 and add your comments. This way, you can suggest a better way to prepare the drink, or a place to find Stroh cheap, etc.

This announcement is just a tease for now. I have been working on the code when I have time. I am likely going to get it out to you as soon as I can and add to it as I go. So maybe there will be the first view later this week.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-09-26 05:59 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 11:50 am   Permalink

wow! and the authors are cool with that? far out!

mahalo, j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 12:31 pm   Permalink

I was just wishing I had my copies of those books here at work.

This will be fantastic for making booze shopping trips on my way home!

I'll be able to print a recipe out and not worry about getting it all wet.

A registration like HumuHumu has on Critiki would work well, I'll bet that's already what you've got in mind!

Good luck with it Swanky, I'll be one of the first to sign up!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 12:51 pm   Permalink

NICE!! I can't wait to see it. I was thinking about doing something similar that I could keep on my PDA. That way I could have it with me anytime when someone says... "hey Bill, make me one of those Tiki drinks you keep talking about."

Do you have all the info in a database or spreadsheet or what?

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-18 11:50, Johnny Dollar wrote:

and the authors are cool with that?

I assume that the actual recipes will not be on the site so you still need the books to make the drinks.

Great idea!

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 1:20 pm   Permalink

WOW!! That is an awesome idea! It also sounds like a great way to try drinks you haven't had yet. And perhaps a way to use up that bottle of Creme de Cassis lurking in the back of my liquor cabinet.

Good name, too!

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 4:22 pm   Permalink

Great idea! I'm with Klas in thinking that the actual recipes shouldn't be on there. The books are cheap enough to be available to anyone who can afford a bottle of rum and some mixers....

This will save a massive amount of page-turning.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 4:38 pm   Permalink

Yep, that's right. The results won't show the recipe, just the name, which book and the page number. It's a companion to the books only.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 5:22 pm   Permalink

doh! Guess I'll have to laminate my copy!

That is fantastic though, webtender.com has a similar idea...you can put in all the ingredients you have on hand and come up with a list of drinks to make. The only problem is that every Don, Vic and Harry have recipes on there that you really don't want!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 8:07 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I'll add a feature where you can pick an ingredient, like Pimento Liqueur and it will show you all you can make with your ingredients and that single one. So if you get something new, you'll see exactly what you can make with it.

Any more ideas?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 3:18 pm   Permalink

Swanky,
That's a great idea, a perfect companion to the books.

I was trying to think of more features.
First I thought of displaying the results in a way that could group the drinks according to strength and dominant tastes (sweet, sour, bitter), but then I realized it's highly subjective, and the strength meter in the books is not always accurate.
Then, I thought that you might want to sort out the results by popularity (after sufficient user data accumulates).

I think you covered that "must have" features, and all the rest is only "nice to have".

I'll be looking forward to using it.
Mahalo,

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 11:44 am   Permalink

I have got the first working (I think!) version of it up now HERE

Create your user, select your items and see what it tells you.

There is a lot more work to be done, so don't be too critical, just tell me if you see something that is seriously wrong.

And if you get error messages, it likely means I am coding it right then and it'll be fixed as soon as I get it done again!

Once you have created your account, go HERE to access the Grogalizer.

Oh yeah, I only have the Grog Log in there now. Anyone wanna do some typing for me?

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2004-05-24 11:51 ]

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 12:01 pm   Permalink

worked for me! thanky swanky ~

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 12:54 pm   Permalink

Worked for me.
Great job Swanky!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 1:19 pm   Permalink

Worked great here too, thanks!

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation