FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Here's Where the Kahiki Rebuild Money Went
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Here's Where the Kahiki Rebuild Money Went
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 6:30 pm   Permalink

On a recent visit to Columbus for the Drifters car cruise, I got the chance to meet some of the finest Tiki Feinds around (actually the first hrdcore tiki fiends) What a trip, Got to see Chisel slingers digs as well as his housmate Hoffa's, What a great bunch of folks, Cant wait to get back down there, Thanks so Much guys! You Rock!
Also got the lowdown that the Kahaki's owners were offered a peice of land by the river and still havent done a thing, So all we can do is hope and pray and offer gifts to the gods that the Kahiki will once again rise from the ashes and share its allure and magic
with us again (or for me and my wife for the first time) Till then Iwe can live vicariously with memeories and photos and knock em back at our local oasis!

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bratmonkey68

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:34 am   Permalink

walgreens is evil! they are buying at tearing down too many cool places. They tore down the coolist 1950s Baskin Robbins by my place last year. Now I hear the Parasol restaurant in Seal Beach, Ca. is in danger also.

View Profile of bratmonkey68 Send a personal message to bratmonkey68      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 07:16 am   Permalink

Rustbelt: Hoffa just signed up for Hukilau. He did the artwork for last year. Great guy! There are a lot of great folks from Ohio I have met.

Someone (Otto?) here should have a personal contact on this and maybe get the ear of the owner and clue them in to things like Trader Vic's opening new locations, etc. It's time! Man, imagine that Kahiki Opening Party!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 11:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 07:16, Swanky wrote:
It's time! Man, imagine that Kahiki Opening Party!

I don't think we should hold our breath- Michael has already publicly said he has no plans to ever reopen the Kahiki restaurant And after all the money they just poured into a big factory, it looks like that's going to be their main (and maybe only) focus for the future.

Swanky is so right...love them while you can...I'm banking that even the Mai Kai and the Disneyland Tiki Room will be gone sooner or later

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-21 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 00:34, bratmonkey68 wrote:
walgreens is evil! they are buying at tearing down too many cool places. They tore down the coolist 1950s Baskin Robbins by my place last year. Now I hear the Parasol restaurant in Seal Beach, Ca. is in danger also.

I hate Walgreen's too, but I heard that the Parasol is threatened because the owner of the shopping center it's in wants to tear it all down and start over. Is Walgreen's involved in the plan?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 07:16, Swanky wrote:
Rustbelt: Hoffa just signed up for Hukilau. He did the artwork for last year. Great guy! There are a lot of great folks from Ohio I have met.

I just had a dream featuring someone named "Hoffa". I woke up and couldn't for the life of me figure out who this person is. It was very mobster esque...I think I've been watching too much Sopranos!!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-23 12:19 am   Permalink

I am posting this for Jim.
There was an article in the business section of the Columbus Dispatch today titled "Kahiki Foods to use Former Restaurant Decor in New Plant". I quote:
"It's our way of preserving the Kahiki," company president Michael Tsau said. "We've been in this town for 40 years and the memory is still alive. It's very much in our hearts." The trappings of the former landmark East side Polynesion palace, including a waterfall and 20 foot tiki statues, will spice up the frozen-food manufacturing plant when it opens in July. He said that he hopes someday to open another Kahiki Restaurant, but, because another restaurant is still a dream, Tsau said many of the items in storage will decorate the exterior, lobby, showroom, and offices of the new company headquarters building. Those items include antique wood paneling, artwork, light fixtures, and a working waterfall. Some of the items will appear at the front of the factory, which is designed to mimic the exterior of the former restaurant. Inside, the plant will feature a factory outlet store. The new plant will be 120,000 sq feet (up from 22,000) and he plans to add another 100 employees (they have 125 now).

I pass by the plant every day on my way to work. I will keep you posted if I see anything interesting. I guess this is better than having everything rot away in storage.

Elise (Chisel Slinger's wife)

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-23 2:12 pm   Permalink

What is the symbol for "dropped jaw" !?

Is this a hoax? This is both sad and beautiful, horrifiyng and amusing, aggravating and surreal...which is somehow like...TIKI.

Though I am mad at the dissappearence of the Kahiki, to have a tikified food processing plant is the kind of new twist on the theme that makes Tiki so unique.

Imagine, decades from now an urban archeologist might find a discarded Kahiki Hot Sauce jar, search out the ruins of the factory and unravel the history of Tiki anew from that angle...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BILLB

Posted: 2004-05-25 09:46 am   Permalink

It is true, I read the article too. I am happy they are opening the factory outlet store, maybe they will sell some mugs or other "hard" wares in addition to the frozen foods.

View Profile of BILLB Send a personal message to BILLB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 10:18 am   Permalink

I guess it saves the cost of storage to put that stuff in the mammoth plant. If the Mystery Girl would come out at lunch...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 9:09 pm   Permalink

I still like Tiki Chris's idea! Put me down for a few shares.

I just corresponded with Kahiki's Alan Hoover earlier this month about their termination of the sale of their sweet & sour sauce. (Now only available with the Tempura Chicken entree.)

He did not say either way about any plans to rebuild. Very disappointing.

However...Outlet store hu? Sounds promising!

Thanks.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-27 1:21 pm   Permalink

The Kahiki potstickers are very good for frozen food, all the supermarkets here have the eggrolls and potstickers, that's about it though. Eggrolls are ok also.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 8:15 pm   Permalink

I read a press release today that said that Kahiki foods just got a $2 million credit line, and they are using the money to expand the business. The press release said the business is doing great so far and the foods are selling well.
I did see the foods at the store but the packages were huge, I dont need 500 eggrolls.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-03 1:34 pm   Permalink

Got an E-mail today from Alice Tsao...
Aloha Michael,

The plan of reopening the Kahiki restaurant is on hold because we are concentrating in making the best Asian frozen foods that is on the market.
Mahalo,

Alice Tsao
Kahiki Foods, Inc.
3004 E. 14th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43219

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 7:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 11:12, TikiHula wrote:
I don't think we should hold our breath- Michael has already publicly said he has no plans to ever reopen the Kahiki restaurant

Does anyone know what will happen to the Kahiki building?

For example, at some point, could someone purchase it and reopen it?

(Or am I getting my hopes up unjustifiably)

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation