FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Non-Tiki Tiki Music
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Non-Tiki Tiki Music
Blue Moose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-18 8:25 pm   Permalink

Hello all,

I'd like to start a thread of great tiki bar music that's not exotica, island, etc. That is, ordinary songs or albums in any style that for whatever reason sound great in a tiki bar.

I'll start this off with two very different suggestions:

1) The Andrew Sisters, "Rum and Coca-Cola."
Like most of their stuff, this has a shore-leave-in-WWII sound to it. The lyrics describe hot sex and cold drinks in Trinidad.

2) The Ramones, "Somebody Put Something In My Drink." Typically Ramones, only more intoxicated.

Who has another idea?

Cheers,
Blue Moose

View Profile of Blue Moose Send a personal message to Blue Moose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 04:00 am   Permalink

John Coltrane "Africa" off of the "Africa/Brass" album.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 09:38 am   Permalink

Annette : Pineapple Princess

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
javabachelor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 10:13 am   Permalink

How about "House of Bamboo" by Earl Grant (or even the cover by Southern Culture on the Skids).

Keep Swinging!
Java

View Profile of javabachelor Send a personal message to javabachelor  Email javabachelor Goto the website of javabachelor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 10:24 am   Permalink

Sleepwalk - Various Swank Artists

Jade Idol - Stray Cats

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Woo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-19 1:17 pm   Permalink

The entire album of Mr. Bongo by Jack Costanzo.

View Profile of Tiki Woo Send a personal message to Tiki Woo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 1:34 pm   Permalink

most albums by joao gilberto, antonio carlos jobim & lots of other bossa nova!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-19 09:38, Klas wrote:
Annette : Pineapple Princess

I prefer Barnes & Barnes version.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 12:13 am   Permalink

For starters:

Jeri Southern - An Occasional Man (Cal Tjader and Anita O'Day also have a cool version)

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 02:07 am   Permalink

ok after mis-entering my password the first time around and subsequently wiping clean my first post.. ..

If you're feeling adventurous I'd go for some Yma Sumac, but I suppose that would still come under the exotica umbrella..
I think it depends on the crowd.. and how you want to set the mood, I like a lot of cuban and mexican "world" music like the Buena Vista social club, or cesaria evora (sp?) Otherwise it depends on my company and/or what mood I'm in, 50s R&B like Big Joe Turner is great, western swing or some "voodoobilly" like Deadbolt can be pretty atmospheric, but then if I'm so inclined I could even throw on a Leonard Cohen album..
don't hate me.. haha..
mm.. music is goood..

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 04:21 am   Permalink

Robert Mitchum : "calypso is like so..."

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:24 pm   Permalink

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: any album or single. Simple, quality and funny punk rock (ish). Besides, Spike croones so beautifully...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-21 7:30 pm   Permalink

I'm making a compilation of island songs from people not normally island-style. Polynesian/oceana as opposed to carribean/jamaican. There are a lot of good one-off's out there that need to be put together.

Joe Frank has a great little tune from his Hawai'i episode. And Warren Zevon's Hula Hula Boys is funny & groovy:

Yesterday she went to see
The Polynesian band
But she came home with her hair all wet
And her clothes all filled with sand
I didn't have to come to Maui
To be treated like a jerk
How do you think I feel
When I see the bellboys smirk?
They're signing,

Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana
Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana ...

(I hear Hunter S, THompson particularly digs this song)

Taj Mahal has relatively recently made some good (and also some middling) island stuff; he lives on Maui now, I think.

The Kinks's Ape Man and Holiday in Waikiki are island in theme more than sound, but ya can't leave them out... (Magnetic Fields's "Desert Island" ; Cat Power's "Sea of Love" - good too.)

Anyone have any more tropical suggestions, from artists in different genres?

[ This Message was edited by: scrimshaw on 2004-05-22 12:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Scrimshaw on 2004-05-22 12:46 ]

View Profile of Scrimshaw Send a personal message to Scrimshaw      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 7:40 pm   Permalink

For the dark and forboding tiki bar: Aussie band The Scientists' early stuff. Swampland, Blood Red River, Happy Hour, We Had Love, Demolition Derby, Set It On Fire etc.

The volcano's about to blow and there's no way off the island. The natives are getting frantic and are wanting a sacrifice for an angry god. They're circling your makeshift thatch roofed bar, chanting. One or two warriors periodically feint a rush at you to see how you'll react. There's nothing left to do but wave your Army issue .45 at them and down as much of your rum stock as you can before being overtaken by the natives or being swallowed along with them in the fire, ash and lava. The Scientists make the perfect soundtrack for the occasion.

Errr...sorry for getting kind of weird there.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 9:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 19:30, Scrimshaw wrote:
Taj Mahal has relatively recently made some good (and also some middling) island stuff; he lives on Maui now, I think.

My wife Loves "Sacred Island" from Taj Mahal, but we haven't heard any of his other Hapa Blues CDs.

He lives on Kaua'i, or did when he made "Sacred Island."

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation