FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Non-Tiki Tiki Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Non-Tiki Tiki Music
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 10:06 pm   Permalink

Tiki non-tiki music: Maurice Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe Suite (particularly the second one). Also, Ravel's Tombeau et Couperin.

Also, J.Lo's "I'm Real," which uses a sample of Martin Denny's "Firecrackers," and a pre-release version of Mariah Carey's song "Loverboy," which according to Wikipedia also wanted to use the Denny "Firecrackers" sample but didnt. (Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loverboy_(song) under the sub-heading "Sampling Controversy."

-"Professah Humming Flowah" (a.k.a. WAITIKI's Randy Wong)

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
untamedhighway
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-22 8:35 pm   Permalink

Someone earlier mentioned the Moon-Rays. I say definitely yes. Also, as the original question mentioned what would sound best in a bar, ANY of the Frolic Diner and Las Vegas Grind compilations...especially later in the night at the bar when things are gettin wild. Many songs have an exotic feel (see also the similar Jungle Exotica comps) but are way too sloppy and sleazy to be considered exotica. Mostly they're creepy strip music, an off-kilter instrumental hybrid of 50s-early 60s R&R, R&B and jazz. For the tiki enthusiast who just got kicked out of the tiki bar after last call and stumbled down the alley only to hear these sounds wafting, along with clouds of "reefer fumes", out of the back door of a fly-by-night recording studio...played by cats who look like Rat Finks black-sheep-of-the-family bastard cousins.

View Profile of untamedhighway Send a personal message to untamedhighway  Email untamedhighway Goto the website of untamedhighway     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-19 20:33, hodadhank wrote:

...I'd love to see (or better yet, hear) the Pi Yi Grotto play list.

I'll have to put together a copy of the Grotto's playlist... It's about 60 CDs worth of music loaded into the 100 disc changer... the majority being exotica and hapa haole ripped from vinyl by myself or by other TCers. If you want to hear Jamaican/reggae music you can hear it in nearly every room in the house but it's strictly taboo in the bar... (Let me let you in on a little secret - I nearly caved to the pressure and slipped a 50's era mento CD into the mix but after much thought and deliberation I decided against it -- at least for now! )

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Neon Meadow

Posted: 2006-06-10 10:58 am   Permalink

Here is a link to a video, where the song is about Tikis, written in surf guitar style by Merrell Fankhauser (I am a huge fan and he lives in my town). Awesome song, "We Love Tikis"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA

View Profile of Neon Meadow Send a personal message to Neon Meadow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-11 7:45 pm   Permalink

Love those 70s bands, Hodadhank...... Jade Warrior. Just when you think you are listing to some new age or exotic chanting, along comes some cool freak-out guitar solo. Just add Hawkwind, Can, Amon Duul (no Yes), King Crimson, etc. For something from this decade try Double Naught Spy Car. The steel and bass player you can also hear with King Kukelele and The Friki Tikis!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
clummy

Posted: 2006-06-14 11:45 pm   Permalink

i think i saw some vinyl records in grannys house.

View Profile of clummy Send a personal message to clummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-20 4:02 pm   Permalink

Go to Hermosarecords.com That guy has TONS of local [S.cal.]bands most people have never heard of but thier great!Its a funky lil record co. in Hermosa Beach. The guy KNOWS surf,island,loundge,wierd, music. Check out "Cliche OK" & "The Big Jerks" funny & bichen stuff you wont find ANYWHERE!

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 12:33 am   Permalink

The Lion Sleeps Tonight-The Tokens
Iko Iko-The Belle Stars from the Rain Man soundtrack(the only version of this song that I really enjoy)
Kodo-The drums just sync with that exotica groove.

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 10:09 am   Permalink

Interesting that you should have started this thread as I have been experimenting with music other than exotica in my home Tiki bar. I do not want to risk burning myself out on the genre altogether which may or may not be possible. I just don't want to wake up one day and start thinking that if I hear Quiet Village one more time I will have to go ona killing spree. This is more likely to happen to my wife and much sooner than I, so in defense of my precious music collection I want to be pro-active and look into what other kinds of music can "create the mood", if you will.

I have a rather voluminous music collection and here's what I have found so far to be great alternative musical programming for the Tiki bar.

#1. Cal Tjader Several Shades of Jade
I personally consider this album to be exotica but it's not really
#2. The Minstrels Every Which Way
A great Mercy Beat band from Canada tough to find look on Amazon
#3 The Barracudas Through the Mists of Time
Ass kickin British take on Surf with great lyrics!
#4 Django Reinhart anything and everything by him
What more can I say
#5 The Mermen Their entire catalog
It's Surf music that is definitely outside the box
#6 Perez Prado Havana 3am
His Magnum Opus
#7 Laika and the Cosmonauts Their entire catalog
The Eastern Bloc sound of Finland's #1 Surf Band is positively Spy - Riffic
#8 The Revells The Go Sounds of the Slots
I got the fastest little racer! Funny as shit!

Happy Listening!

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 1:58 pm   Permalink

David Lindley - The 'Very Greasy' album.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 2:10 pm   Permalink

this am featured the Beat Crazy cassette by Joe Jackson Band...am reading his book & re-introducing myself to his music. Surprisingly good with lotsa reggae/ska/dub touches---even though that voice of his can get a little GRINDY

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ghost

Posted: 2006-07-02 11:09 pm   Permalink

Perrey and Kingsley always does the trick for me as far as non-tiki-tiki-music goes. "The In Sound From Way Out" is a nice primer for the uninitiated. I can't quite explain how but it works for me.

As far as contemporary music goes I can't recommend Twilight Circus Dub Sound System enough. Very authentic, very relaxing dub music from Ryan Moore.
www.twilightcircus.com

View Profile of Ghost Send a personal message to Ghost      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 11:31 am   Permalink

not sure if anyone mentioned
Petty Booka
http://www.sister.co.jp/pettybooka/
sure like those girls alot!
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-09 6:21 pm   Permalink

I'm liking this thread. Here's one I that popped up on the old .mp3 random last night. Plenty of you have heard it and has probably been discussed elsewhere on TC:

Sun Ra: Angels & Demons at Play and The Nubians of Plutonia

Perhaps a bit more Africa than Oceania, but still creates a good jungle atmosphere. Also, it was recorded in the '50s (and 1960), which is nice.

Anyone know of another good Sun Ra album along the same vein? Every other album I've heard just sounds like chaos to me. Not that I've heard more than two or three other albums of his. Anyone have any suggestions?

So yeah, everyone on TC needs to give Angels & Demons at Play/The Nubians of Plutonia a spin. It fits right in with your Martin Denny, Les Baxter, etc.

-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rev. Griz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-09 9:05 pm   Permalink

Far Side of the World, Christmas on Christmas Island - Jimmy Buffett
Pate Pate - Te Vaka
Anything by Oliver Mtukudze, African, but great party music. It all came from Africa anyway.

View Profile of Rev. Griz Send a personal message to Rev. Griz  Email Rev. Griz Goto the website of Rev. Griz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation