FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Non-Tiki Tiki Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Non-Tiki Tiki Music
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-10 02:01 am   Permalink

While you are waiting in line at Disneyland for the Jungle Cruise or Indiana Jones rides, you will pass rooms decked out as period safari or archeological "field" offices, just full of antique decor and artifacts, (much like a tiki bar). You will also hear tinny, early, swing-era jazz coming from radios in these life-size dioramas. The effect really transports you back in time.

I've found that a little Fats Waller or similar jazz, shuffled in with classic exotica on my sound system, really adds to the nostalgic atmosphere in my tiki bar.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 7:40 pm   Permalink

While looking for music on-line, I happened across The Kapakahi Jug Band. A group of people with diverse backgrounds came together in Hawai'i and managed to create, yep you guessed it, jug band music! Ionly mention them because their versions of Ukelele Lady and Hula Love are very well done! I found it on cdbaby.com. It's a Japanese import, but most of print is in english.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 06:34 am   Permalink

I got the "Mad Monster Party" soundtrack a couple of years ago, and this is full of a very tiki-friendly atmosphere. A couple of the tracks are heavy on bongos. Nice stuff, recommended.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 09:01 am   Permalink

going off a bit on this...the soundtrack might be good , but that MOVIE is one of the FEW movies of that kind that bored the CRAP out of our WHOLE FAMILY...I still own it because the art direction is NEAR GENIUS and that Ann Margret style puppet is UNNATURALLY HOT but...it seems to last FOREVER & I guess kids of the past had a LOT more patience than kids today--but even my wife & I couldn't take it & we LOVE the whole Rudolph/Frosty Xmas junk...

OK back on track...I think RUMBLE FISH is a good post-modern tiki style recording...Stewart Copeland did GREAT stuff as Klark Kent pre-Police and this gets back to that a bit...there! NO HIJACK

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 07:13 am   Permalink

1. Ouch
and
2. Well, you're kinda right. MMP is a slow movie. In fact, it was padded while it was being made, to make it a longer feature; so anyone who claims it is slow isn't just imagining something!

I can remember a couple of weekends when they ran it on KTLA's "Family Film Festival" and this movie used to make for some fine lethargic Saturdays, which was good back when I was, uh, not able to imbibe alcohol.

Anyway, I saw this soundtrack mentioned on another thread, and the person who posted this pointed out that you can hear samples of the soundtrack on Amazon.com...the "Jungle Madness" track is pretty nice...

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 2006-08-29 07:21 ]

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 10:36 am   Permalink

Mondo Bongo - Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 11:05 am   Permalink

The theme from the TV show "Fantasy Island" is great. I also like Willie Nelson singing "Blue Hawaii"!

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 3:28 pm   Permalink

Here's one you can try: "The Liquidator" soundtrack by Lalo Schifrin featuring Shirley Bassey. Bondesque yet not so well known, very swanky and cocktail-oriented.

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 2007-01-06 15:29 ]

Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 3:24 pm   Permalink

Try "BOOGIE ANGST" by KRAAK & SMAAK; loungey and atmospheric

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-24 10:34, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
My friends turned me on to a couple of Ames Brothers LPs (probably their two only really good records)--"Destination Moon" and "Hello Amigos." Destination Moon is a kitschy space-themed album with an amazing backing orchestra (Sid Rayman); Hello Amigos is all Latin standards done in Spanish with Esquivel leading the backing band. Unbelievable! And both records give me the urge to suck down Demerara Dry Floats and Never Say Dies.

Other great Non-Tiki Tiki records: Mel Torme's "Ole Torme," backed by the Billy May Orchestra; Henry Mancini's "the Blues and the Beat" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Soundtrack; and Ray Martin's "Witchcraft." No Tiki party would be complete without at least a some of those!

I just picked up an AMES BROTHERS album entitled THE BLEND AND THE BEAT which is quite good . Tunes like ON A LITTLE STREET IN SINGAPORE , HARBOR LIGHTS , NIGHT TRAIN and MOOD INDIGO combine swing and exotica with some tracks featuring lots of percussion like bongos , bells and bamboo sticks .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moby Dick

Posted: 2007-10-27 8:09 pm   Permalink

I'm really amazed not one mention has been made of Man or Astro-Man? for their awesome surf goodness. I know it's a bit "futuristic" but it's great!

View Profile of Moby Dick Send a personal message to Moby Dick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-12-31 1:39 pm   Permalink

What a cool abandoned thread. I came across this doing a search for Santo & Johnny's Sleepwalk.

I'm gonna add The Viscounts / Harlem Nocturne it's got a great Twang and Film Noir saxaphone, not Tiki but when you hear it you feel like you've got a murder to solve and if you did hear it in a Tiki Bar your drink wouldn't shoot out your nose.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-31 3:15 pm   Permalink

Did someone mention saxophones ??...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-02 5:21 pm   Permalink

A cool Non-Tiki "Tiki" instrumental first done by The Revels is "Intoxica".

I'm assuming that's where Jeff Berry got the title for one of his excellent mixology books from. (Another link in the Tiki Culture - Surf Music relationship !!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tDkcS827U

It sounds like a bar song to me.

The Revels were actually Pre-Surf and many of the songs they first did went on to become Surf music standards. They were one of the forgotten bands from the early 60's but were rediscovered when their song "Commanche" was used in the soundtrack of Pulp Fiction. It's the scene where Bruce Willis is selecting his weapon of choice in the pawn shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IPzwiKk0BE

"Intoxica" was covered by many other First Wave Surf bands. This is what I've collected so far…

1. The Rhythm Kings
2. The Sentinals (as "Intoxico")
3. The Centurions
4. The Original Surfaris
5. The Surf Teens
6. Jim Waller & the Deltas

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-01-02 6:15 pm   Permalink

Wow, I’m going to make a play list with
The Revels Commanche,
Jorgen Ingmann’s Apache,
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Indian Reservation (Cherokee People)
and
Cher’s Half Breed….

Kinda ran outta gas at the end.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation