FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 5:21 pm   Permalink

Here's the definitive scoop on Mister Tiki in downtown San Diego straight from the restaurant manager and the Cohns...

Opening Day: Friday, June 9, 2004. The manager requested that we give him a week to work the bugs out of the system before bringing down a group of tiki enthusiasts. However, he is very excited that this group is interested!

Drinks: They are offering 23+ tropical drinks including 4 kinds of mai tais and most other classic standards. They have researched their mixology and will have a mix of traditional and updated drinks on the menu. Signature drink will be the "Mondo Martiki for 4".

Tiki Mugs: All mixed drinks will be served in appropriate containers including several styles of mugs and volcano bowls.

Music: They will be playing Exotica throughout the dinner hours and transition into Lounge later in the evening.

Decor: The manager could hardly contain himself when describing how cool Bosko's work looked after being installed in the restaurant. Can't wait to see it!

Food: Asian-fusion cuisine, sushi bar, poki bar, lots of pupu style dishes.

Input: I was told that after the restaurant opens, they will be actively seeking our input to help make the place as good as it can be. Their goal is to keep it as authentically tiki as possible without scaring away the regular crowd. They are aware of what happened to Taboo Cove and want to avoid those mistakes at all cost.

This place really seems like they are on the right track to me! The manager took my name and number and promised to call me as soon as they are able to take reservations. So, I would be happy to coordinate a TC outing if there is an interest. My best suggestion for a date would be Saturday, June 12th. What do you think?

Also, for further information please refer to the previous thread related to Mister Tiki
here.

ModMana

See page 4 of this thread for the attendance list for this event.

[ This Message was edited by: ModMana on 2004-06-09 10:42 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 5:29 pm   Permalink

Whoa, i just read this from the main forum

Quote:

On 2004-05-19 16:53, freddiefreelance wrote:
OK, I just received this from Beth @ Cohn Restaurants Group:

"Hi Freddie!

Thanks for all of your interest. It is nice to see that we have such a following before the doors even open! You can't believe all that you hear though, we can hope that we will be open around the 6th of June, but it
isn't looking like we'll be ready by then. I really wish that I could give you more information, but there really isn't too much that we are sure about just yet. We are leery to send out any sort of newsletter regarding Mister Tiki, until we know for sure (we wouldn't want to mislead anyone!) As for "restaurants that you frequent" choices, Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge will be added very shortly. An announcement will be sent out to everyone though, so it isn't critical that you update your preferences right away. I can't wait to see you there when we do open!

Take Care,

Beth Hoggard
Office Manager
Cohn Restaurant Group"

Modmana, if your right, i would be interested in making the trip down there.

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 6:13 pm   Permalink

Modmana, you mean June 12th? Wednesday the 9th is my Gran'daughter's 1st birthday, but I don't think that anything's wrong with Saturday. If we have a Babysitter.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 6:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks Freddie, you are correct. I made the appropriate edit to the original post.

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 8:13 pm   Permalink

count me in. If anyone wants to drive down from the greater LA area earlier in the day I can entertain for a while at my place

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-05-19 8:19 pm   Permalink

Darn! Already have plans for the 12th. Would definitely be interested in meeting if another day!

[ This Message was edited by: UtopianDreem on 2004-05-19 20:19 ]

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 9:27 pm   Permalink

I'm in. The guestroom is up for grabs.
Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-05-25 17:26 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-05-19 10:05 pm   Permalink

Mrs. Fury has a trade show that weekend.....but I am going to try to make it down somehow.....someway....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-19 10:21 pm   Permalink

The missus and I are up for it.
We might be bringing an extra friend (Hans, my bandmate).

Ran

P.S. Our big couch is quite comfy to sleep on, if anyone needs a free place to crash.

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the_reverb on 2004-05-19 22:28 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 09:01 am   Permalink

Count me in.

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 09:02 am   Permalink

I'm there with 2 tag alongs!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:06 am   Permalink

Damn, goin to have to settle for showin up the week after!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
real kamaaina

Posted: 2004-05-20 12:50 pm   Permalink

i walked by it, it looks the the mc donaldsization of tiki. i hope not.... im getting that parrot glasses feeling.. hope im wrong....

View Profile of real kamaaina Send a personal message to real kamaaina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 1:28 pm   Permalink

What's the address so I can get a mapquest fix?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 1:58 pm   Permalink

It's on the corner of 5th Ave. & G St.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation