FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 6:22 pm   Permalink

Speaking only for me, very casual aloha...

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-11 14:44, Humuhumu wrote:
I'm heading down immediately after work to have dinner at The Islands at the Hanalei Red Lion.

Wish we could join you Humuhumu. We love The Islands and would normally jump at any opportunity to go there. Unfortunately we have family obligations this evening and can't make it.

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 8:18 pm   Permalink

Does this place have a dress code? No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service. Can I slide by in my Sunday dress slippahs? Or do I have to wear some cow hide on my feet? Decisions...decisions...decisions.

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-06-11 20:24 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 08:23 am   Permalink

man I'm so jealous. You guys in Socal have all the best places and peeps.
Port Saint Lucie doesn't know how to spell Tiki. Guess we'll have to move out west.
I've been watching this Bosko-bar unfold since mid march and it is really getting exciting. Can't wait for Pictures and tails. Thanks to ModMana and all you guys who spent so much time on this project. Thanks to Bosko . Can't wait. can't wait!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Weence
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-12 09:10 am   Permalink

Good morning......I think "Sundays best slippahs" would be fine. When we were there on Wednesday, there was a big range as far as "dress attire"......some people very casual, some dressy. I dont think there is a dress code, but it is a little "fu fu" ....so many people will be all decked out.....especially on a Saturday night in the Gaslamp district. We're probably wearing aloha attire (just not shorts).....not too casual, not too dressy. Hope that helps..... See you all tonight!
-lisa

View Profile of Weence Send a personal message to Weence  Email Weence Goto the website of Weence     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 09:33 am   Permalink

The Mrs. and I are soooo jealous. We would have been there if we were still living in LA. Please, please take a lot of pictures. Have fun tonight.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mo Fo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-12 12:38 pm   Permalink

Hey Everyone,

I am in the big Diego, and I am planning right now to drop by for a few, and also brunch in the morn at Bali Hai.

View Profile of Tiki Mo Fo Send a personal message to Tiki Mo Fo  Email Tiki Mo Fo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 2:56 pm   Permalink

Sounds like an excellent plan Tiki Mo Fo! If you see me before I see you, I'll be the one wearing the loud Hawaiian shirt.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 4:49 pm   Permalink

I know it's late, but don't forget the tiki necklace.

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 12:41 am   Permalink

Mister Tiki was awesome!! San Diego has another cool Tiki bar. Bosko's work was beautiful.

A big, very special thanks to the Godfather of Tiki, Modmana, for setting this up. We were well taken care of.

I saw lots of picture taking. I'm sure tomorrow there will be lots to see.

As always, it was great to see everyone.
Aloha,

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 12:32 pm   Permalink

It was great seeing everyone at Mr Tikis. Thanks to those that drove many miles through lots of traffic to get here.

Here are some pics
Poly Pop and my wife outside

The Mr Tiki Sign

Inside by the Bar

Dining Room

Volcano Bowl

We Filled 5 Tables

Mean Gene, Weence and Tonga King

Floratina and Mrs Monkeyman

ChikiTiki, Shely, Al, Mrs Monkeyman, Polynesian Pop

FreddieFreelance

Humuhumu, Vintage Girl, Atomic Cocktail

DoctorZ, Shipwreckjoey, KicktheReverb and significant others

Chiki talking to unexptected guest Bosko

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman on 2004-06-13 12:41 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Weence
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-13 1:56 pm   Permalink

Hi.....last night was really fun. Thank you so much for the *warm welcome*. I had only met a few people from this crowd previously at Tiki Oasis weekend in PS. The place was great, the people were cool & the food (and drinks of course) were delicious! Hope everyone is feeling ok today....{{{yawn}}}
-Weence & MEAN GENE
(Lisa & Gene)

[ This Message was edited by: Weence on 2004-06-14 08:40 ]

View Profile of Weence Send a personal message to Weence  Email Weence Goto the website of Weence     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Weence
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-13 2:14 pm   Permalink

p.s. great pics, monkeyman!

dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-13 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-13 12:32, Monkeyman wrote:

DoctorZ, Shipwreckjoey, KicktheReverb and significant others

had to laugh, sounds like "and the rest, here on Gilligans Isle"

Great pix.. looks like everyone had a great time! ahh can't WAIT till our next visit to SanDiego...

where's the swag? any mugs, swizzled, menus to scan and share? i know its only been a day ~ but this is SO exciting!

[ This Message was edited by: dogbytes on 2004-06-13 15:42 ]

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 6:46 pm   Permalink

Ah, what a delightful time. I don't have time to get the photos off my camera right this instant, but I'll post them as soon as I can, I know there are a lot of folks who are itching to see more of this place.

My impressions: the food was really wonderful, the drinks were creative but so-so.(They have a "Classic Mai Tai" and a fruitier "Haole Mai Tai" on the menu -- an absolutely genious approach, except for that their Classic Mai Tai is neither classic nor a Mai Tai. It's closer than many mai tais out there, but they couldn't resist f*$^ing with the recipe, unfortunately. It's a great drink, why do people insist on trying to improve on it? But I digress....)

The decor is a trendy, modern take on tiki, but they've done a good job of updating the look of tiki while staying true to its roots, I think. I'm not a fan of the nose ring they put on the giant moai-esque tiki behind the bar, but that was really my only quibble. There are tikis, tikis everywhere, of good size and great Bosko quality.

The music was half good, half bad. For much of our meal, they were playing pounding reggae-flavored house beats, which would be appropriate for a late night lounge, but not for a meal. Later the music switched to one of the Ultra Lounge exotica compilations, we've all heard those albums a thousand times now, but it was a huge improvement until it switched back to the other stuff.

The service was very friendly and helpful, there were some minor snafus at our table with the timing of bringing dishes out and the wrong drinks & dishes being delivered, but they seemed to get resolved pretty quickly.

Super mahalos to Baxdog for ordering a Mondo Martiki for our table! It was a lot of fun, I've got some great pics of it coming later.

I also want to thank UtopianDreem & Tiki Bird for driving me to kick_the_reverb's place afterward, and I want to thank the reverbs for hosting us and making DELICIOUS Reverb Crashes! This was my first time enjoying this award-winning drink, and it more than lived up to the hype.

In addition to visiting Mister Tiki's, I also went to Spa Tiki earlier in the day (it's a short walk from Mister Tiki's). Its investors are the investors in Mister Tiki's, and it also has Bosko tikis all over the place, I'll post a review in its thread later. Also spent some time at the Hanalei Red Lion & the Islands restaurant and had a good time. On the way back home, I stopped at Bamboo Ben's shop and bought myself a sweet little bar! Ben's shop is great, I'm glad I finally had a chance to stop in. He & Mrs. Boo were there with the minor Boos, they're doing great and have been INCREDIBLY busy with work, which is great for them, but means they have less time to post here. There'd been some reports that they'd had a bar or multiple bars stolen at Oasis -- turns out it was all a misunderstanding and all bars are accounted for. Whew! (HUGE mahalos for helping me get my bar home!)

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation