FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 9:30 pm   Permalink

I was there! I was tired & not at my gabbiest, but I've proven my existence! It's a cliche, but it was wonderful meeting everyone & I hope to see everyone again soon, at least sooner than it took me to work up to this.

I'm usually much chattier, but after getting home from the San Diego Real Ale Festival after midnight (see my tasting notes
here), waking up at 5:30, driving to Pomona to pick up my Gran'daughter from her Dad's, driving home & playing with a 1 year old 'til her Mom came by at 4... Well I think "tired" touches upon how I was feeling.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga King
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-13 10:35 pm   Permalink

WOW..!!! That about sums up our thoughts after our evening with the TCers at the new Mr. TIKI's..

This was our first outing with the great people of TIKI Central. In all honesty we were a little nervous about going to Mr. TIKI's, we didn't know anybody and we didn't know how anyone would recognize us.. After about 2 minutes at the bar you all just started introducing your selves to us, we felt like part of the crowd every quickly.. Thank you so much for being so friendly and nice.. We had a GREAT time and we can't wait for the next time we can get together will all of you again...

Mahalo…

Tonga King and Tonga Queen
AKA: Cindy and Dave

View Profile of Tonga King Send a personal message to Tonga King  Email Tonga King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 10:02 am   Permalink

Utop & i made it in time for a drink, was great seeing lots of TCers there, Have nothing but best wishes for Mr. Tiki's longevity there. Special thanks to Kick_The_Reverb for having us over before we headed back to LA.

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mo Fo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-14 1:29 pm   Permalink

I was so close, but still so far... Even being in Del Mar, I just could not get the rest of the way there.... I am now in deep regret, but I can not wait to drop by during one of my future trips.

View Profile of Tiki Mo Fo Send a personal message to Tiki Mo Fo  Email Tiki Mo Fo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 11:56 am   Permalink

Here's some crappy-as-ever pictures! I've also updated the record for Mister Tiki's in Critiki.

Tikis!

Mondo Martiki, with the Stanley Cup of shakers and a very impressed Floratina!

Baxdog can't wait till we finish our drink so he can take his Mondo Martiki glass home! (Thanks again, Bax!)

Suck 'em up!

Wall o' Bosko!

Another tiki! And my pants! So wrinkly!

Another tiki!

Extra-chunky bamboo!

Gaping maw of tiki!

The artist Bosko deep in thoughts of tiki!

Mary Blair-esque (to me, anyway) orange flowers!

The bar!

Bamboo spaghetti-o's tabletops!

Ladies' room tiki! This is not for boys! For ladies only!

Tiki Diablo (thechikitiki) & Bosko chatting!

Arrrgh! Neon green nosering on a tiki! NO NO NO!

Kon-Tiki tribute tiki!

Are they glass float lamps or pufferfish lamps?! They're both!

Yet! Another! Tiki!

Whew. And with that, I've thankfully extinguished my supply of exclamation points.

More pics here:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/san_diego_weekend/mister_tikis/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 1:40 pm   Permalink

Hey Modmana, i noticed under Locating Tiki forum that Mr. Tiki is not on there. Since you setup the great opening event with TC, would you do the honors.

Tbird.

oops...just notice mriddle did it, but not under the "Mister Tiki" name.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-06-15 13:43 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 1:49 pm   Permalink

Humu, I was just wondering how many people confused you with the hostesses? Your outfit was better, but I bet the hoi poloi would have trouble telling the difference.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 13:49, freddiefreelance wrote:
Humu, I was just wondering how many people confused you with the hostesses?

I was pretty nervous about that. It's embarassing enough to show up somewhere with the same outfit as someone else, but it's especially embarassing to discover you're wearing the same outfit as the staff. I apparently lacked any air of authority, though, as no one attempted to ask me how much longer it would be for their table.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 13:40, Tiki Bird wrote:
Hey Modmana, i noticed under Locating Tiki forum that Mr. Tiki is not on there. Since you setup the great opening event with TC, would you do the honors.

TBird, Thanks for pointing that out. I added an entry for Mister Tiki. Since mriddle's entry only had a generic label and lacked details I went ahead and created a new one (sorry mriddle). The description is straight from the Mister Tiki website. I'll go back in the near future and customize the description to reflect the TC perspective a little better.

Quote:

On 2004-06-13 00:41, OnaTiki wrote:
A big, very special thanks to the Godfather of Tiki, Modmana, for setting this up. We were well taken care of.

Ha! I'm sure I don't deserve that title. In case anyone is wondering, that was sort of an inside joke at our table. I am a self-proclaimed tiki neophyte. I'm not worthy...

Humuhumu and Monkeyman, those are some great pics! I have tons more pics of my own and lots of comments about the restaurant that I'll be adding as soon as I get a little more free time.

It was great seeing everyone on Saturday, especially all the LA/OC people who made the long drive down! We're always up for going back. If anyone is in town and wants to meet up, feel free to contact us.

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: ModMana on 2004-06-15 16:33 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 11:14 pm   Permalink

Ah man, this place and event was too cool and fun. Bosko was really pleased that we all made it out and dug the bar. For the record, Bosko did not put that ring in the nose of the moai.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 1:14 pm   Permalink

sorry I missed this deal... but I guess I made it, if not in spirit....
I seemed to get myself into Bosko's Bar via TikiFarm...

this MondoMartiki Lono is a design from my Rocker Lightswitch cover and TikiFarm Shot Glass.

that place looks awesome!! great job Bosko!!!!!!!!!!!!! the original!!!!!!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-20 11:21 pm   Permalink

Just a few pictures to add....

Al and the back of Dr. Z

Dr. Z, Dolphin Tiki & Al

Shipwreck & Floratina

Marquesan at the front door

Our Mondo Martiki was quite tasty with "all the juices"

and so pretty too!

And for anybody interested in the food, we passed the camera around our table. It was all good!

Seared Salmon

The Poke Platter. Yummy !!

Fish & chips

Chicken chow mein (I think. Modmana ??)

The dessert tower. Excellent for just little tastes and for sharing.

Fun was had by all...we know there are more pictures out there! Come on, post them!

[ This Message was edited by: Moki on 2004-06-20 23:25 ]

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation