[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Safeway Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Safeway Tiki
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 02:33 am   Permalink

I almost had a heart attack, and DID blurt out a "holy shit" whilst grocery shopping the other day at the safeway by my house.. they are carrying a range of products called "Tiki BBQ" which consists of BBQ utensils with tags that read "TIKI BBQ" Most of them just have handles that are carved to look like bamboo, but the hamburger basket has a real bamboo handle (flat though like bamboo flooring is) with a Tiki woodburned into the handle, AAAND there is a set of cornholders in the yellow plastic that we already know and love, that are ALL little Tiki! it also comes in a little plastic box that says 'Tiki' with a little tiki guy on the front..
I was excited, yet couldn't help being a little sad that it's so mainstream now.. oh well..

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Artiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-20 05:24 am   Permalink

Wow, they sound great. We'll never get them in the UK.
Would anyone be kind enough to buy one for me and I'll send you the money?

View Profile of Artiki Send a personal message to Artiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 10:39 am   Permalink

wow! a safeway! haven't had one of those around here in years! I think if I go to Albertsons, I may find them there....I believe they have the same parent company.

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 10:55 am   Permalink

coooool!

I'll be checking out my local safeway this evening!

Thanks for the tip Velvet Ruby!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:31 am   Permalink

Yeah, I saw those on Sunday...

I tried to convince my wahine that I needed the corn-holders, but to no avail.

Overall, though, I don't think your missing out on much if you can't find these items.

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:32 am   Permalink

Yeah, I saw those on Sunday...

I tried to convince my wahine that I needed the corn-holders, but to no avail.

Overall, though, I don't think your missing out on much if you can't find these items.

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:39 am   Permalink

Muhahaha!
My kane is away for 3 weeks so I'll be snapping them up if I like 'em!

Safeway side note:
I've been trying to buy some of that Maui Maca Maca Roon ice cream with the tiki on the lid for months now, they're always out of it!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:54 am   Permalink

This is the tiki they use stamped on the grilling accessory handles. So nice to know the issue of tiki plagiarism is alive and well in the 21st century. They also come with a tiny flat plastic tiki that would fit on a key chain.

Waikikian Tiki Gardens Walking Tour
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 11:57 am   Permalink

Ahh! The Kon-Tiki! He's one of my favorites.

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-05-20 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-20 11:31, Slacks Ferret wrote:I tried to convince my wahine that I needed the corn-holders, but to no avail.-Slacks

listen to her ~ my experience with corn holders are they're fun the first time you use them, and then they become a liability.. gotta rescue them from the trash or garbage disposal. then, they'll roll around in the silverware drawer, puncturing me underneath a fingernail everytime i reach in for a piece of cutlery.. and when i need them for the next corn experience, at least one will be missing. argh.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 5:19 pm   Permalink

OUCH!

If I get them, I'll definitely keep them with the tiki collection. Thanks for the warning! Maybe I'll snap the tops off and make earrings out of 'em!

Great Minds Drink Alike

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 12:03 am   Permalink

Got the corn holders, 24 little yellow 3-D kon tiki heads. The little case they come in will be handy. I'll just keep them with my collection. I also got the bamboo handled flipper/spatula/lifter, fork thing and brush. They'll make nice replacements for the ones we have now. I'll see if I can post pictures of them this weekend.

Canadian tip:
I also picked up 4 plastic tumblers. 2 look like tiki lelani, the other two look like one of the cheap new designs. They only had blue left. $2.99CAD each at Winners.

Great Minds Drink Alike

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 10:54 am   Permalink

There are no longer any Safeways here either. Can someone please post a picture of the corn holders & the box so I can have an image to share with relatives around the country or whomever else I can talk into going out hunting for them?

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 4:04 pm   Permalink

I just repowered my battery, so ok...here's a pic. I got these at Top Foods a few weeks ago. It was the little case that sealed the deal for me.

They also have a BBQ mitt with such famous tikis as the PMP on it. Not sure if a photo of that has been posted or not. I'm such a slave to my digital camera. sigh.

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-21 4:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Exoticat!!
That's a big help and I gotta get them because I am a corn-on-the-cob FREAK!!!!!!!
Definitely one of my all time favorite foods.
Now I just have to find out where these are in my area or if a relative can find them.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation